+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga and other things that won't get you laid

I just read Kabuki; Alchemy #1....It's beautiful! David Mack is definitely a master of his work. I don't know if I can wait two months for the next issue. I finally picked up Rumiko Takahashi's Mermaid Saga. I'm really liking it so far. As for Comic-Con, I'll be posting some pics, especially of David Mack and his girlfriend Ahn.
    Ludicrous speed!

Supercool, Charstar, you're the bestestest in the whole world!

I love all Takahashi's Mermaid books, although I think Mermaid's Scar is my favorite collection, followed by Mermaid Forest (can't remember the order of the books anymore, it's been a while and I need gingko biloba, but I think Forest is the first). Try to find the anime, too. I watched those first actually, but they're really very good. Takahashi has good luck with anime adaptations of her manga.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Oops! I suddenly realized that THIS is the thread where I should've posted my "Road To Perdition is good" comment, what with it being a graphic novel and all. Let me fix that.

The Road To Perdition is good.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

The Road to Perdition is Paved with Good Intentions

I gotta be honest, dude. I fell asleep during the film. BUT, granted, I did not read the graphic novel.

Along the lines of your post, then: Ghost World was good. (Again, did not read the graphic novel, but I did love the film.)

I have not seen American Splendor, but I will.

Other very indie graphic novels I would love to see turned into films: The Playboy, Maus, Hate!, and Love and Rockets.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    They did? Sounds perfectly awful!

Anyway, speaking of manga, one of my favorite manga writers has to be Rumiko Takahashi. First work I ever saw of hers was the wonderful gender-bending, martial arts adventure, Ranma 1/2. After that, someone gave me her older stuff, the supremely wacky Urusei Yatsura. Later I read the short stories Rumic World, which were amusing but not my favorite. What really knocked me off my feet was the lyrical and hauntingly melancholy Mermaid Saga, a much darker offering than most of her other manga. Mermaid's Scar and Mermaid's Forest were also made into beautiful anime, as have much of the rest of her oeuvre.
    Takahashi Rumiko-sama is GOD. *worships*

It's so awesome that you are an anime/manga fan! Teehee!

Recommended Manga/Mangakas:
    Paradise Kiss by Ai Yazawa
    X/1999 by CLAMP
    if you can find a translation, Metropolis by Osamu Tezuka (because Astro Boy isn't that good)
    Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi

HIGHLY Recommended Anime:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's amazing.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of X-Men. ^_^
    I was in love with a difficult man.

Moon Skin Child!!! Glad to see another Takashi fan in the hizzy (well, this is a forum, so should that be..."fizzy"? ).

I too ADORE Neon Genesis Evangelion. That is a series that is seriously addicting. And you really need to see the whole thing (plus the two movies that follow) to really get the full experience, IMO. It's just brilliant, it's starts as a sort of typical kiddies-in-giant-robots adventure, but then transforms into something much, much darker and more abstract. It's totally mindblowing.

May I take a moment to publicly announce that CHARSTAR is the coolest chica ever!!! She got me a signed copy of the Mack Daddy Dave's Kabuki: The Alchemy. It's so beautiful, I'm getting verklempt.

[IMG]images/img/KABUKI~1.jpg[/IMG]

Anyone who hasn't read Kabuki yet, it's just amazing, I couldn't recommend it more highly. Perfect integration of breathtaking art and great writing.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Aww....Thanks, Snowy. I'm going to try to get Mr. Mack to visit in here.
    Ludicrous speed!

The "Watchmen" Film...Again

[This one's from Sequart.com, and it's right atcha, SnowFlakeGirl.]

Aronosky, Hayter on Watchmen Film, but History Pleads Caution

Julian Darius
    28 July 2004 at 19:55 (updated 28 July 2004 at 19:57)

Darren Aronosky, the critically acclaimed director of Pi and Requiem for a Dream, has agreed to direct a movie adaptation of Watchmen. David Hayter will write the screenplay adapting the classic graphic novel.

Aronosky had been long rumored to be directing the project, but The Hollywood Reporter recently confirmed his assignment. Writer David Hayter is best known for writing X-Men and X2, and he is reportedly scripting the upcoming Iron Man movie as well.

An adaptation of Watchmen has been a long time in the coming. The innovative 12-issue mini-series debuted in 1986 and became an immediate critical darling. It is widely seen today as the best graphic novel ever produced, a work certainly transformative for the super-hero genre. Conversations started about a film adaptation not long after.

Joel Silver (producer of Die Hard and Lethal Weapon) reportedly got Terry Gilliam, who had just finished 1989ís The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, to read the graphic novel. Gilliam came on board as director, and Sam Hamm (writer of 1989ís Batman) wrote a screenplay. Robin Williams expressed interest in playing Rorschach, the bookís memorable and brutal vigilante. Gilliam rewrote the script with Charles McKeown, but found that the storyís natural compression for film eviscerated the genius of the graphic novel. At one point, The Comedian had been entirely written out, despite his murder triggering the entire graphic novel and his crucial presence in flashbacks. Reportedly, the film failed because Silver, who had recently gone over budget on Die Hard 2, couldnít raise enough funds.

Since the abortion of the Gilliam version, interest has persisted in bringing Watchmen to the big screen. In 1996, Hollywood again took interest, but Gilliam advised that the adaptation was unfeasible without being about three and a half hours long. At present, some fans wish to see Aronosky and Hayter continue and succeed, while others would rather not see Watchmen simplified or gutted (depending on oneís point of view) like the film adaptation of From Hell, often regarded as Mooreís second-greatest masterpiece.

Alan Moore, for his part, has expressed concern about this simplification or gutting ever since interest in filming Watchmen began in the late 1980s. Moore has also never expressed interest in film versions of his work, which also includes The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. While glad to take Hollywoodís checks, Mooreís attitude seems to be that the film version is another beast entirely -- indeed, Moore claimed never to have seen From Hell long after its release.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Cast the Watchmen Film

I'm thinking Guy Pearce for Rorschach (Pearce has that "haunted soul" vibe), Kevin Spacey for Dr. Manhattan, and Brad Pitt for Ozymandias. (I hate making that last call, but Ozymandias is the golden-boy-who-can-do-no-wrong. Who better than Pitt?)

As for Silk Spectre--Wendie Malick ("Just Shoot Me")?

A good site on Watchmen.

NO, NO, NO!!! Why can't they just leave Alan Moore's work alone! I'm terrified, even though I like Aronosky's work, that it will be another wretched bastardization of the work of one of the finest writers of novels, graphic or otherwise, ever!!!

Okay, give me a moment to calm down, Phat, and I'll respond like less of a baby. It's just that The Watchmen was my first Moore novel ever, so I'm particularly attached to it, and the thought of it getting hauled over and mauled over by Hollywood strikes fear in my heart.

+ Reply to Thread