+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga and other things that won't get you laid

Quote Originally Posted by saltyj
    The only manga I've ever read would have to be...the small 3-part series Magic Knight Rayearth. As for anime, I've seen a few series such as Magic Knight Rayearth, Revolutionary Girl Utena (my absolute FAV), Kodocha, Ceres, and some others.
    Cool, I'll check those out, starting with Revolutionary Girl Utena. Thanks.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Battle Angel Alita, Gunsmith Cats, Ghost in the Shell and Domu. But hey, if you're not down with the Nipponese (yeah you know me!) that's perfectly fine. It's all a matter of taste, really.
    We're sympatico on a lot of graphic novels, so yes, I'll pick them up the next time I'm in the comic-book store and give them serious consideration--honest injun.

Well let's move on to the British: Have you read Grant Morrison's The Invisibles? I bloody love that series. I think you'd like that one, it's like Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and the Sex Pistols all dropped acid together and wrote brilliant, mind-blowing, magickal, cosmic comic. I highly recommend.
    I don't know why I've resisted The Invisibles for so long. Maybe it's because I picked up a single issue somewhere in the middle of the run and was hopelessly lost. I had the feeling, though, that The Invisibles is one of those that's best read from beginning to end, in one quiet marathon sitting.

I've got Grant Morrison on the mind this week, and maybe that's because I just picked up John Byrne's new Doom Patrol, which literally put me to sleep about halfway through. Byrne's problem is that he knows superheroes and only superheroes, and even there, he hasn't said anything revolutionary about caped wonders in at least ten years (The The NeXt Men notwithstanding.)

Byrne tries to write the Patrol as a straight superhero comic. Combine that with his reputation for being as difficult with his publisher as Brando (god rest him) was with his directors, and I give this title about 12 issues.

But I digress.

I'll always think of Animal Man and Doom Patrol, two series that blew my mind and made me want something more, something better, than the standard churn Marvel and DC were pushing.

On the subject of the British, I am all over Warren Ellis's Planetary, which seems to answer the question, "What if the Fantastic Four investigated the X-Files?" and Garth Ennis's Hellblazer will always be in my permanent Top Ten.

I'm also looking forward to Dave Gibbons's The Originals. How can you not love a story about British '60s mods, superheroes and global conspiracies, by the guy who drew The Watchmen?! It's going to be shagadelic, baby! YEAH!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I LOVE GARTH ENNIS!!! And I love you for loving Garth Ennis, Phat.

Oi, The Originals looks ace, mate! I'm madferit! Can't wait for the release, that is totally up my alley.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I LOVE GARTH ENNIS!!! And I love you for loving Garth Ennis, Phat.

Met Garth at Comic-Con...'93? '94? Don't remember. Back then, it was "San Diego Comic-Con." He was sitting next to Milligan, and I told him how much I loved his Hellblazer stuff. I was the only one who paid them any attention. All the other fanboys were busy trying to get McFarlane's, Liefeld's, or Larsen's attention.

He said, "Thanks, and if you like that, I have a new one coming out, Preacher. You should check it out." And you know what? I did. And Garth was right--I did like it.

Oi, The Originals looks ace, mate! I'm madferit! Can't wait for the release, that is totally up my alley.
    Oh, behaaave, baby! BEE-HAIVE!! Have you checked out any of Moore's latest stuff, like Top Ten or Promethea? I keep putting them in my Amazon.com cart and then closing the browser just before I click the almighty "Confirm order" button. I don't know why. And how about his old stuff, like The Killing Joke or V for Vendetta? Oh, they're brilliant, love, just brill, the both orf 'em.
    Last edited by phat32; 07-10-2004 at 03:23 AM.

I know nothing about comics, but I do know that Stan Lee will be on Dennis Miller tonight at 9:00 EST on CNBC. The show repeats at midnight. Just thought I'd give you all the heads up.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Thanks for the heads up, Qboots!
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Anyone going to Comic-Con in San Diego?
    Ludicrous speed!

No, I can't make it this year, Char.

Aside from all the cool writers, artists, and animators like Neil Gaiman, Matt Groening, and Will Eisner, I read the Buffy crew will be there (Joss, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Amber Benson, Eliza Dushku), and Richard Kelly will be discussing the re-release of Donnie Darko!

Plus Keanu Reeves and Jude Law!!! Ah, they would have had to call security on me.

And Masuimi Max is going to be at the Olivia booth! I would give my right arm for an autograph.

A group of friends are mine are driving down though, maybe I can bribe someone to get an autograph or squeeze Jude Law's behind for me.

For any lucky folk who are going, here's a link to an article on celeb appearances and the complete schedule:
    http://www.comic-con.org/Pages/CCI04-hollywood.html

Anyway, you have to tell me how your sister likes it, okay? I'll have to live vicariously through others this year!

Thanks for the link, Snowy. I wish I was going too, oh well. My sis has already promised me some cool stuff and she's taking pics, lots of them. Maybe I'll post some of Senor Mack. Aw man, I get to miss out on seeing Keanu. Doggone it. I'll give my sis a heads up on Masuimi Max, ok?
    Ludicrous speed!

That's ace! I would lurve to see photos, yeah, definitely post some. Especially if there are any of the "Mack Daddy" or if, say, Keanu's pants should by accident fall down (a girl can dream). Heck, if Neil Gaiman's pants fall down, I'd be into that too.

Ah well, we always have next year, right Char? *gives consoling we-can't-be-at-the-Comic-Con hug*

+ Reply to Thread