+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga and other things that won't get you laid

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Anyway, back on the subject of mainstream manga...Battle Angel Alita, hell yeah!
    I frickin' love Battle Angel Alita, Nausi. I'm a die-hard fan of the older series but haven't read it for a while, so I was totally excited for the the Last Order books (finally out here in the States from Viz). Awesome, it's just as fresh and wonderful as the original, although it took a little getting used to reading it in its original, unflipped Japanese layout (backwards to us Westerners).
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Yup. I'm used to the backwards layout though, seen as how I used to read Jing Yong's martial arts novels in the same format.

Your anime avatars are way cool!

Sorry I'm Late

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    You know, I have a feeling that this may be one of those threads I post in here that doesn't get a single reply (that is, unless Phat32 shows up and gets my back), but if it is, then so be it. At least I tried. *throws hands up in air, before wandering off into dusty aisles of local comic book store*
    How flattered am I that I get a nod when the incredible Snowflakegirl begins a post about comic books? How ashamed am when I reply a month and a half later?

Nevertheless, I have an acceptable excuse, and since this is a thread on comic books, I'll express it in the format of my favorite medium:

"This is IT, true believers! Join us when our intrepid hero journeys across the good ol' US of A--three cities in five weeks, a sojourn from futuristic Silicon Valley to the Big Easy and finally to Boston, the birthplace of our nation's freedom! Bad airline food! Relatives gone wild at weddings! Endless delays at Dallas Airport! WE'VE GOT IT ALL!"

Glad that's out of the way.

Right now, Snowflakegirl, I'm most into The Amazing Spider-Man, Y the Last Man, Planetary, Astro City, and Wanted.

The last time I was totally geeked out over something in the comic store was The Avengers vs. JLA (Justice League of America, a.k.a. "Super Friends" to all you civilians out there).

As for Neil Gaiman, I've been eyeing The Sandman: Endless Nights, even though I can't justify the cost to myself. Yet.

As for Alan Moore, I last enjoyed The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and From Hell--both of which suffered from Great-Book-Bad-Movie Syndrome.

Other than that, I'm open to any aspect of the discussion.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    My all-time favorite comic book, though, is sort of obscure. Anybody remember Jonah Hex? I used to read those ravenously, until they sent the ol' cowboy into space and the series turned into complete crap.
    You may be pleased to learn, Paulie, that they brought your boy Jonah Hex back--with style--in three limited series: Two Gun Mojo, Riders of the Worm and Such, and Shadows West.

I've read the first two, and they are undoubtedly two of my favorite books from the last ten years, perhaps two of my favorites ever.

You can see my search results here, and order the first trade paperback here.

All three were written by Joe R. Lansdale and drawn by Tim Truman. Think Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven mixed with any film by Quentin Tarantino and you get an idea--sort of--what the new Jonah Hex books are like. (Do I even need to mention that he's back in the Wild West, and the space adventures are all but forgotten?)

Highest possible recommendation.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Straight out of Nippon

Confession: I'm currently not into any Japanese books. Sorry.

Sure, when I was a kid, I was all geeked out for Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, and Voltron. Of course, these were Americanized versions of manga, but how can you not love a cartoon that features a space-faring naval battleship?! You can't.

I think my dislike for the Japanese products stemmed from the craze over Robotech when I was in middle school, which was followed by a fascination with Akira by my friends. I understood next to nothing about either of these.

Most recently, I dabbled a little bit with Dirty Pair (not as X-rated as it sounds), and I dutifully saw Cowboy Bebop and The Animatrix (which, arguably, is not "pure" manga...or is it?). I didn't enjoy these as much as I would a good, solid Marvel or a thought-provoking American indie.

I may not like manga now, but I'm always on the lookout for new things to read, and I'm willing to keep an open mind. Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    You may be pleased to learn, Paulie, that they brought your boy Jonah Hex back--with style--in three limited series: Two Gun Mojo, Riders of the Worm and Such, and Shadows West.

I've read the first two, and they are undoubtedly two of my favorite books from the last ten years, perhaps two of my favorites ever.

You can see my search results here, and order the first trade paperback here.

All three were written by Joe R. Lansdale and drawn by Tim Truman. Think Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven mixed with any film by Quentin Tarantino and you get an idea--sort of--what the new Jonah Hex books are like. (Do I even need to mention that he's back in the Wild West, and the space adventures are all but forgotten?)

Highest possible recommendation.
    WOW! Truly cool, phat32! Thanks so much! I had long since given up hope that anyone would even TOUCH my comment about Jonah Hex. I certainly didn't expect to find that there was more out there for me to read. Your recommendation means a lot to me. I really respect your insights. I'll look into this seriously. I have some bookstore gift certificates to burn here in the near future. I think I see some Jonah Hex in Paulie's future.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

BTW, phat32, that link to the trade paperback doesn't work. Help?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

The Girl With FORT-itude saltyj's Avatar
    The only manga I've ever read would have to be...the small 3-part series Magic Knight Rayearth. As for anime, I've seen a few series such as Magic Knight Rayearth, Revolutionary Girl Utena (my absolute FAV), Kodocha, Ceres, and some others.
    Viva La Vie Boheme!

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I may not like manga now, but I'm always on the lookout for new things to read, and I'm willing to keep an open mind. Any recommendations?
    Don't cheat yourself of an entire world of intelligent, thought-provoking, beautifully inked comics because of a couple of negative associations from way back. You'll miss out on a lot of the sophisticated work that has come out since then. Besides, the Robotech series that was out back then was severely truncated, Americanized version that does the actual series no justice, but if that's not your bag, try these:

Battle Angel Alita, Gunsmith Cats, Ghost in the Shell and Domu. But hey, if you're not down with the Nipponese (yeah you know me!) that's perfectly fine. It's all a matter of taste, really.

Well let's move on to the British: Have you read Grant Morrison's The Invisibles? I bloody love that series. I think you'd like that one, it's like Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and the Sex Pistols all dropped acid together and wrote brilliant, mind-blowing, magickal, cosmic comic. I highly recommend.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    BTW, phat32, that link to the trade paperback doesn't work. Help?
    Sorry, dude. That's the problem with inserting a link from an Amazon.com search. Live and learn something new everyday about computers, I guess.

Try these:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...0414&snumber=1

Mile High Comics has been around, well, forever. They were advertising back-issue sales in my comic books even before the Internet exploded. Caveat: I've never ordered from them, but they are one of the biggest, so at least you're getting the guarantee of their reliability.

http://www.hillcity-comics.com/graph...o_gun_mojo.htm

The above comes courtesy of what I found as the second or third hit after plugging "jonah hex two gun mojo" into Google.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...6112&snumber=1

Just to whet your appetite, here's the listing for Jonah Hex: Two Gun Mojo in single-issue format as opposed to the collected, trade paperback format. You get to see the covers, too. Getting the single issues near mint seems to be only two or three dollars more expensive than the trade paperback, so I leave it up to you whether you like the single issues or the trade.

(Often, for a series I'm trying to catch up with, I like the trade: they look like "real books" on the shelf, the paper quality is better, and you don't have to run around trying to gather up five or six issues of a comic when you want to sit down and read.)

But if those are Amazon.com bucks burning a hole in your pocket, I found one Jonah Hex trade paperback, used (described by the seller as a little dinged up), if you plug "jonah hex" in as a search term at Amazon.com.

Hope that helps, and if you get the book, happy reading, Paulie! Let me/us know what you think.

(P.S. I tested those links before posting them, so fingers crossed they'll work this time. Then again, I tested the ones from my last post, too. Ay-yi-yi.)

+ Reply to Thread