+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga and other things that won't get you laid

Those cover paintings are very cool, Joeguy! I really like the first one, what a great angle.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I'm a huge comic fan Especially since I'm half Japanese I have a whole big pile of Japanese comics

Hey Snowy! My sister has pictures of Mr. Mack, he is definitely a hottie! I hope you like COB, but I can't wait until you read Skin Deep. It's my favorite.
    Ludicrous speed!

I Tin-Tin.

I read manga on occasion to practice my Japanese. My Japanese is beyond terrible, so it takes me forever! Full moon wo sagashite is my favorite - the sweetest story.

Has anyone here read the Sandman books? I've only heard of them, but might be interested.
    Last edited by Salome; 05-24-2004 at 02:10 AM.

Salome, The Sandman Comics are AWESOME!!! Those were among the first series I ever collected. They are written by Neil Gaiman, one of the premier graphic novel and now prose writers out there. His stories are rich with symbolism and dense with mythology. Great artwork too--although I prefer some of the artists over others. Check out the trade paperback collections from Dark Horse comics. I recommend it highly!

ETA: Charstar! I'm not yet done with C.O.B., but I read the first 1/3 and it's very kickass! The artwork, in particular, is breathtaking, but what I really like is the character development for Kabuki. Thanks for the recommendation, I love it!
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 05-24-2004 at 07:30 PM.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Thanks for the recommendation, Snowflake Girl! I am a mythology fiend.

Neil Gaiman writes a sort of revisionist mythology--as a matter of fact, I'm reading his novel American Gods right now which is a cool novel about ancient, forgotten old world gods still trying to survive in modern America. He even shows the struggle for power with new and emerging gods, who work through such means as the media and the internet. But his rich sense of mythology goes all the way back to his Sandman comics, Salome, so if you give them a try I don't think you'll be disappointed. Check them out and let me know what you think!

Snowy
    Happy to see that you're liking Kabuki. Can't wait until you start reading Skin Deep. Unfortunately, I'm not going to Comic-con this year, but you gotta give Mr. Mack a hug for me if you go!
    Ludicrous speed!

Oh, don't say that, Charstar. My "hug" may result in Mr. Mack having to call security on me!

Do you graphic novels, Japanese fans etc, know anything about these Japanese comic books or graphic novels in which the characters are young gay men, and are read by teenage Japanese girls? I forget the name of the genre, but I was reading about it awhile ago, and apparently, teenage girls can only feel equal to another man, if they imagine themselves as a man, or something to that gist. I thought it was so strange, but apparently these graphic novels are huge in Japan.

+ Reply to Thread