+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga and other things that won't get you laid

Good thread, SFG.

One of the best, best manga series ever created is Goseki Kojima's "Lone Wolf and Cub" series. I started reading the books when I was just a mite living in China, but I know it has recently become available in the States. Uncharacteristically for manga, the writing is awesome, and Daigoro is just so damn cute! Any fan of manga knows this series, as it is a classic.

And my favourite comic is "Jar of Fools", by Jason Lutes. I first read it when I was 14 or so, and it still remains as beautiful and complex and heartwrenching. But a lot of Lutes' stuff is good - like his "Berlin" series.

What else....hmmm, I think I mentioned "Palestine" and "Safe Area Gorazde" a long time ago in another thread here. By Joe Sacco. And of course, everybody mentions Spiegelman's "Maus" anyway so there's no need to go into it.

Ooh, I know! This one doesn't really count 'cause it's not a comic but I just looooved the Vampire Hunter D novels. Had such a crush on D the way Yoshitaka Amano drew him. And its manga film "Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust" is pretty good, too.

I only wish I still read comics. Just seemed to be one of those things jettisoned as I grew older and my time grew shorter. Growing up, though, I was a fan of all the biggies. The ones I have the most of would be Spiderman, X-men, Fantastic Four and (from when I was really young) Archie. Spiderman was what I followed most faithfully, probably. I didn't read anything too obscure unless you counted "Amethyst". It was a bizarre idea of another world where people of this world had alter egos named after jewels. Weird little comic.

Dang it. Now I want to run out and buy some. Like I don't have enough "soft" addictions to keep up with.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I remember reading these *horror* comics that my older cousin used to collect...this is way back in the '70's, folks...I was around 9 or 10 and I loved them. They were weird little stories, I guess some were kinda gory for the times - I specifically remember one about a little girl - that is, everyone THOUGHT she was a little girl - but she turned out to be a psychotic midget in a pink ruffled dress

Anyone recall these comics? I can't for the life of me remember what they were called.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJ, you were probably reading EERIE magazine. Warren Publishing put it out and another one that I am brainlocking on right now. They were some good stories, but didn't have a big enough following to keep them in business. Some titles that ended up in their own issues were Swampthing, The Zombie, and The Rook.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Hmmm, could be, although that doesn't ring a bell. It's going to drive me nuts now trying to remember. Maybe I should phone my cousin, he probably still has them

(and I would probably re-read them all if he did )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I was an absolute comic nerd when i was younger. My comic world was Claremont & Cockrum X-Men, followed immediately by John Byrnes Xmen. Frank Millers Daredevil (Electra and Bullseye were introduce in this timeframe), John Byrnes Avengers, John Romita Jr's Amazing SpiderMan, John Byrne's Fantastic Four. Plus any others i could get my hands on from about 1978-1984. I still remeber when i picked up Miller's Dark Knight series, and how incredible i thought that was. I became an artist through years of trying to immitate John Byrnes sytle of drawing. I will still occasionally buy one of my favorite characters books, just to see what is going on in their lives, but it has been years since i read them consistently.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    This one doesn't really count 'cause it's not a comic but I just looooved the Vampire Hunter D novels. Had such a crush on D the way Yoshitaka Amano drew him. And its manga film "Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust" is pretty good, too.
    I never read the books but I saw the anime, and I too had a crush on "the D" (but then again I also had a crush on Vampire Princess Miyu ).

Lone Wolf and Cub is awesome! I have to re-read it though because I read one of the first editions to hit Stateside, which I didn't learn until later was out of order, significantly changed for American Audiences, and didn't even reach the end of the series. I guess the Dark Horse editions (Dark Horse rocks!) are in order and complete the series.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I used to read comics all the time. I subscribed to Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk for a while when I was a kid. I used to buy anything that looked good off the shelves. Mostly DC stuff, like Justice League. I also like Marvel's What If? series and the Fantastic Four.

In college, I had the whole Wild Cards graphic novel series, as well as the Green Lantern Emerald Dawn series. Both were excellent.

My all-time favorite comic book, though, is sort of obscure. Anybody remember Jonah Hex? I used to read those ravenously, until they sent the ol' cowboy into space and the series turned into complete crap.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Charstar, I finally got Kabuki: Circle of Blood!

I'm in the middle of Gaiman's American Gods right now, so I haven't had time to sit down and read Kabuki yet, but I flipped through and the artwork is just breathtaking! I'll post later when I've had the opportunity to read some of it.

Also, if he looked like the picture on the front cover at the Comic Con, then I envy you & your sister--he's not only cool, he's a hotty!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    hmmm just saw this.....I have read all the classics, X-men, Spiderman, Hulk, Ironman, Thor and The Warlord. I drug ilikai to his first comic con in orlando, Use to read the black and white comics from the eerie series, Loved the simon garth, zombie. plus I collected some of the cover paintings
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread