+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga and other things that won't get you laid

X-Men The End is like 20 books. And sadly, not worth reading. The did the first series of it, then the second, now the third. Sometime during the first I decided it sucked and stopped reading it. I picked up the last few books, but didn't really like it still. Ah well. Check out X-Men Deadly Genesis, it is I think a 6 issue mini-series. You should be able to find it, if not you can order it from my site. Also, a new series I think comes out next week Called Phoenix Warsong. It is a follow up to Phoenix Endsong which was one of my favorite Jean Grey stories ever. Greg Pak nailed the characters of Wolverine, Jean/Phoenix, Kitty etc during Endsong. Same writer for Warsong, so it should be really good.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I actually really loved X-Men The End...lol i cried reading through most of it. and thanks to this series...i understand more about Jean and Cyclops relationship...she was cloned with the essence of their love, and when the clone died, their relationship went through issues...or something lol...so i kinda accept them not being together, but i still dont accept Emma...i hate that skank...forever...it was a very emotional story in my opinion, i was really into it...i couldnt stop reading, even though i was like what the h*** is going on through most of it, it was still very exciting lol cant wait for the last one to come out, i bought these in the 10 comics in one book thing, so yeah, much easier to read lol i might just get the singles issues just to find out the ending lol

ill have to remember those other titles, the one thing that really bothers me is that there's different timelines to these stories, so im not sure if im getting the right one lol im already confused as it is, and i dont need to get mixed up in different stories and stuff...lol cause one thing that did bother me was that professor had his powers in The End, but he lost it in uncanny, i figured since the stories both kinda go with the shiar story, i assumed he's gonna get it back at the end of the uncanny space arc since the end is suppose to be the ending? lol im just trying to rationalize everything so i can somehow grasp the storylines lol i really do find the comics so much more interesting then the actual cartoons/movies, but its a shame that everything is so complicated to understand lol

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    Since I co-own a comic shop, yeah, I am into comics
    That's RAD! I'm going to want to bend your ear.
    My favorites are anything by Greg Rucka, his Wonder Woman series was my favorite. His indy book Queen & Country is most awesome if you like politcal spook thrillers. He has also done two typey type books of Queen & Country.
    Yes! I loved Queen & Country. In fact, I think somewhere upthread I put in a plea to folks to read that series, because I enjoyed it immensely (I read all of the TPB, I believe). Can you suggest other things by Rucka I might enjoy?

Over summer, I started reading the Battle Royale manga (Vols. 1-3). It was published after the movie (of which I am a huge fan), and is fairly faithful to the film but very wildly extrapolates on the back stories of the individual characters. In many cases, it much more graphic and outrageous than anything in the film. I haven't read the original BR novel, so I don't know how much of it is drawn from that book, but I highly enjoyed it, though it's not for the faint of heart.

Right now, I'm reading the TPB of Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing. I've only just started, but I love the way he has completely turned the whole concept of the original story on its head. Of course, I would probably worship Alan Moore if he rewrote a Thai restaurant menu, but still...it's good stuff. Great artwork, too.

Next up: someone gave me the two book set of Marjane Satropis's Persepolis. I've heard a lot of good stuff about this, so I'm keen on reading it.

That's it for my comic reading for now, although I did run across my old Preacher comics, and forgot how awesome that title was until I got to thumb through it again! Uh-ruh! [thumbs up]
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

i read both Endsong and Deadly Genesis, and they were both pretty good...i just wished they gave Jean a break...she's been killed, cloned, killed again and again...lol...im hoping they will bring her back in the upcoming Warsong...from what i read, thats not gonna happen...i do hope that her character gets a break...she needs it and i would love to read more comics with her not dying...lol

I liked Jean best when Cyclops was dead. She kicked butt and didn't defer to anyone. She was smart, independant, and a force to behold. I loved when she and Storm went shopping. The conversation they had was a lot of fun.

I've never really liked Cyclops. He lives in a world when his kind are persecuted and he's a wuss. He's a leader, people tell me. But to me he is just boring.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Just a heads up. If you are a fan of certain writers/artists, IDW is doing a cool book right now. It's called CSI: Dying in the Gutters. It is set at a comic convention in Las Vegas. It uses a real gossip columist that many in the industry dislike as the victim and about 20 or so writers and artists as suspects. The writers and artists interact with each other, so it feels like getting a peek behind the scenes. Some of the suspects are Joe Quesada, Ed Brubaker, Gail Simone, Greg Rucka, Beau Smith, Peter David, and many more.

First Issue came out last week and should be in shops now.

Warsong part 1 and Uncanny X-men comes out this wednesday! weee, im anxious for both of these X-men the end book three too i think? I already got the last two individual comics for that book since i was so anxious to see what happens...but yeah..lol

I have a question, Asis would probably know this, but generally...is the date that Marvel.com list the new issues release date accurate? or is it just an estimate? lol i was wondering about this, cause i was working out my planner and i dont want to stop by on wednesday only to be denied...since you mentioned you work at a comic shop, maybe you would know best. But anyone can answer if you happen to know lol...Should I go on the day marvel lists it will be in stores or should i wait a few days?

Ok, here is the deal with all of the publishers who list their comics release dates on their websites. They are about 80% accurate. Meaning most of what they list will actually ship the day they say it will, but usually two or three titles will be late. Maybe just a week, sometimes longer. If there is something in particular you are looking for, call the shop ahead of time. Comic Shops can look up their ship lists on Fridays. Meaning I know each Friday what I should be getting in this week barring shortages and damages.

Also, if a holiday falls on the beginning of the week, like say Labor Day, then comics don't arrive at comic shops until Thursday, instead of Wednesday.

Kinmoku, if you want to PM me or post the titles you are looking for, I can tell you if they are coming out this week.

Also, if anyone is reading Civil War, there have been many postponements with that title and the main crossovers like Amazing Spider-Man. These books are going to start shipping every 6 weeks or so instead of the usual four. It takes the artist 6 weeks to draw the book and they didn't stockpile enough issues before they started this crossover. *sigh*

ETA: Uncanny and Warsong are both being shipped this week. But they won't be in your shops until Thursday.

thanks for answering, its greatly appreciated! cleared up alot of questions lol

+ Reply to Thread