+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga and other things that won't get you laid

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I had the honor of visiting a friend in Seattle and she took me out to dinner with an artist named Mike Grell, this name seemed to bang a gong in my head so i called Ilikai and asked him if he didn't have a painting by Mike. sure enough it was of the" Warlord" comic character. he also drew the green arrow and the new batman when they had the first movie come out with "whats his name" damn brain fart!

Met don Martin at an Orlando comic con in 81, man was he fried out, too much recreationals had burned him out. got to be friends with a few artists as i went just about every year till I went overseas to work.

Oh and William Gaines, the man who invented/created MAD magazine...he had to after that comic code crap came in and they banned every word in all his comic titles he had at the time from passing the code. they were out to get him cause of the "damage" to young minds his comic may have had. words like...terror, creepy and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    I had the honor of visiting a friend in Seattle and she took me out to dinner with an artist named Mike Grell, this name seemed to bang a gong in my head so i called Ilikai and asked him if he didn't have a painting by Mike.
    That loud gasping noise is me. I would love to meet Mike Grell; I've got about a million questions for him and what he did with Green Arrow.

Sort of along those lines (but really not), this time last year I was on business in Greensboro, North Carolina. I was the only one sent by my company, so I was dining alone as I do every night.

Now, if I dine alone, I dislike staring at the walls or at the other diners, so I like having something to read or, failing that, a local newspaper. I was reading the "weekly alternative" paper when I finished reading a review about movies and books by someone named Orson Scott Card.

"Wait," I thought, "that name rings a bell."

Any good sci-fi fan knows Card is the author of Ender's Game, among other novels. I looked up information on Card later and found out he'd been living in Greensboro for a while.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Visited my local store this week and bought about six weeks' worth. A few highlights:

The new Ultimates #1

Identity Crisis #5 and #6

Stray Bullets #35

Supreme Power #13

Wolverine: Enemy of the State Parts 2 and 3

The first Avengers following the "Disassembled" storyline

Green Lantern: Rebirth #1
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I was reading the "weekly alternative" paper when I finished reading a review about movies and books by someone named Orson Scott Card.

"Wait," I thought, "that name rings a bell."
    One of my friends had a book by Orson Scott Card, about people who lived in trees...it was a little reminiscent of the people in The Time Machine. I've tried to find it again but I've had no luck. I've picked up a few more of his, but I've not found any others that struck me the way this one did.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Ah, hell, Dinahann. And, here, I was hoping you were going to join us on the Comic Books thread.

But, yes, if you can recall the name of the Card novel, I would be interesting in finding out what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Ah, hell, Dinahann. And, here, I was hoping you were going to join us on the Comic Books thread.

But, yes, if you can recall the name of the Card novel, I would be interesting in finding out what it is.
    Yeah, phat, every time I see that someone has responded in the Books forum I run in here, only to find it's the comics thread. The only comics I ever read were MAD and it's copycat Crack'd(sp?), which means I don't get to participate.

If I remember the name of the Card novel I'll let you know, but I've been trying to recall it and it's slipped from my brain....
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

A friend of mines just loaned me a couple bags full of Mangas. With such titles as Hot Gimmick, PeaceMaker Kurogane, XXX Holic (?), Tsubasa Chronicles, Dn Angel, and many many more.
    quite interesting but haven't read very many yet.

Okay, over break, I read two more volumes of Queen and Country; Vol. 5, Stormfront and Vol. 6, Dandelion.

[IMG]images/img/qctpb5.jpg[/IMG]
    As Tara Chace and the rest of the department reel over the demise of one of their own, a ghost from Director Paul Crocker's past has him sending his minders into danger yet again. But will this operation free Crocker from his ghosts or merely create new ones?
    [IMG]images/img/qcv6.jpg[/IMG]
    Every job has its office politics, but when you're a spy, the politics in play take on a much larger scale. When the chief of S.I.S. is forced into retirement, Paul Crocker is forced to play a new game in order to just keep his job. But are agents Chace and Wallace prepared to be Crocker's pawns in this new match?
    (Above descriptions from http://www.onipress.com)

This is such a great suspense/espionage/thriller series, I recommend it highly.

Also, have any of you Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman fans read the infamous Miracle Man? I spent two whole days talking to my brother about this series over Christmas break.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Also, have any of you Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman fans read the infamous Miracle Man? I spent two whole days talking to my brother about this series over Christmas break.
    Yes, ma'am. Great series, wonderful series. Your brother has probably filled you in about the legal rodeo surrounding MM right now. Thanks to Eclipse's bankruptcy and the Neil Gaiman vs. Todd McFarlane courtroom drama, I've been waiting ten years for the resolution of the cliffhanger presented in the last issue (to be released).

I have to admit that I haven't picked up Queen & Country yet, but I did pick up Kabuki on your recommendation and charstar's recommendation. It's pretty good.

My friend recently converted me to the Danger Girl comics. I can now say with all sincerity that I've developed a appreciation for big-bosomed, ass-kicking women. Plus, Johnny Barracuda is awesome, and the artwork rocks.

(Geez. I swear I'm turning into more of a geek with each passing day. )

+ Reply to Thread