+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Book Club]: April Fools' List

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

[Book Club]: April Fools' List

Well, Happy April Fools' Day, all!

Cornelia Funke "The Thief Lord"
    Brian Greene "The Fabric of the Cosmoes: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality"
    Jane Green "Jemima J: A Novel About Ugly Ducklings And Swans"
    Brian Jacques "Triss"
    Emma McLaughlin "The Nanny Diaries"
    Mitch Albom "The Five People You Meet in Heaven"
    Dennis Lehane "Mystic River"
    Anne Tyler "The Amateur Marriage: A Novel"
    Jennifer Crusie "Bet Me"
    Stephen King "From A Buick 8, A Novel"
    Ann Brashares "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants"

Thanks to unexplained for suggesting a book for the list. The list is dwindling fast as the summer months approach us. Send in your suggestions to me via e-mail, PM, or posts in the book club threads.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I was wondering which books were picked for March and April. Which thread was for the March book discussion?

All March and April book discussions were done in their respective threads or on one of the individual books' threads. If no one has started one on a particular book yet, just make a new thread or post your comments in that month's thread. The following books were for March (the above list was for April):

James Patterson "When the Wind Blows"
    Nora Roberts "Hot Ice"
    Barbara Bush "Reflections: Life After the White House"
    Jan Karon "Shepards Abiding"
    John Sandford "The Hanged Man's Song (Kidd Series)"
    Robert Jordan "Crossroads of Twilight"
    Dean Koontz "Odd Thomas"
    Terry Goodkind "Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, Book 8)"
    Mark Haddon "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"
    Ann Packer "The Dive from Clausen's Pier"
    Mark Moran "Weird N.J.: Your Travel Guide to New Jersey's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets"

***Just a note for all those interested: I am putting together May's list right now. If you have any suggestions for the list, just PM, e-mail, IM, or post here, and I will get it on the big list a.s.a.p.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, since the summer is fact approaching, I will be putting the old voting process for the books into place. Yes, I'll make a long list and have you all vote for two-three books again. Get ready! [Let's have some more book discussion threads, people! ]
    Last edited by ixcrisxi; 04-28-2004 at 03:01 AM. Reason: forgot something

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi
    All March and April book discussions were done in their respective threads or on one of the individual books' threads. .....]
    I went to the March book list thread and didn't find many posts. Maybe there is another respective thread. If that was the thread for the March reading, I can't tell if anyone even agreed on one book or not. Anyway, if anyone has info and knows the actual thread name of any possible discussions (if they exist) for March or even April, you can PM me that info. Thanks!
    Last edited by eldee; 04-28-2004 at 01:26 PM.

Probably, eldee. I have no idea what's going on with that at all. I'll check on that for you!

Hey all! Send me new suggestions for the Book List. I'm running out of books!

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi
    Well, Happy April Fools' Day, all!

Cornelia Funke "The Thief Lord"
    Brian Greene "The Fabric of the Cosmoes: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality"
    Jane Green "Jemima J: A Novel About Ugly Ducklings And Swans"
    Brian Jacques "Triss"
    Emma McLaughlin "The Nanny Diaries"
    Mitch Albom "The Five People You Meet in Heaven"
    Dennis Lehane "Mystic River"
    Anne Tyler "The Amateur Marriage: A Novel"
    Jennifer Crusie "Bet Me"
    Stephen King "From A Buick 8, A Novel"
    Ann Brashares "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants"

Thanks to unexplained for suggesting a book for the list. The list is dwindling fast as the summer months approach us. Send in your suggestions to me via e-mail, PM, or posts in the book club threads.
    Wow! Most of those are great choices (and probably the others are as well). I've read five of them.

I'm glad I stumbled on this board. I don"t see the previous month list so I don't know what has already been recommended, but I would like to recommend some of my favorites:

Margaret Atwood "The Handmaids' Tale",
    Gregory Maguire "Wicked" or "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister"
    or Elaine Viets " Shop till You Drop".
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    .........Margaret Atwood "The Handmaids' Tale",
    That is a good suggestion. The movie was okay but, the book must really get a lot more into certain issues. If you read it, please let us know if the book is good.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    That is a good suggestion. The movie was okay but, the book must really get a lot more into certain issues. If you read it, please let us know if the book is good.
    I've never seen the movie, but the book is an absolute favorite of mine. You know, the kind of book that you see at garage sales or on the remaindered rack and buy again to give to friends, and then those friends tell you they've bought copies for their friends...

I get something more out of it each time I've read it. The heart of the message for me is the danger of a country legislating on moral rather than civil issues.

If you've seen the movie I'm guessing that there are some things you already know- many women have become infertile because of pollution/chemical issues, and those that aren't have chosen not to have children because of career/equality issues. TPTB (and that is never clearly explained, just references given in the appendix) have decided that middle and lower-class women must do their part, and they are forced to become "Handmaids" for the wealthy (read political and military) families, and become impregnated by the husband of the family to have children for childless couples.

The United States has become isolated from other nations, and women no longer have any rights. Martial law reigns, and the only couples that are allowed to live together are the wealthy. The rest if the nation become "servants". Women are either Marthas (cooks, maids) or the Handmaids (surrogate mothers). Men are conscripted to the military, and purging of dissidents occur regularly.

The "Handmaid" label is a reference from the Bible where Leah designates her handmaid to have a child for her, as she is unable to have one of her own.

A very chilling book, with many political overtones. The author is obviously a pro-choice feminist, so if this bothers you you may not like it. I think it's an instant classic in the "1984" vein.

Dinahann, I like how you recap a book. In the movie, it was clear on how unfair the set up was. You mentioned that it is "a very chilling book" so, the writing must be excellent!

I just started to read Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz and I bought Lucky by Alice Sebold which, I haven't read yet. Now, I have your suggestion! Keep them coming!!!

Thanks!
    I love to read, and am always looking for suggestions on good books myself. I tend to get stuck on the same authors...

+ Reply to Thread