+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Grisham novels

John Grisham novels

Any John Grisham fans here? I read the older ones a long time ago (The Firm, the Client, Pelican Brief, etc) and recently I started reading his again ... last one was King of Torts ...

I don't think any of his books would ever qualify as my favorites, but overall I like him as an author ... I haven't read a book that I didn't like yet

I've read all of John Grisham's books up to The Rainmaker. At that point, I decided to take a break from Grisham for a while. I recently started reading The Runaway Jury, though, and it's a really great read. It's making me remember why I used to read all of his books. I'll probably go back and read all the ones I have missed.

The Firm is one of my favorite books. I just finished reading The Summons the other day and was disappointed by that one. But overall I enjoy his writing.

I got a little burned out on his Lawyer books too... My least favorite was "The Brethren" It was about a bunch of corrupt judges in prison and a shady lawyer on the outside... To me it really lacked a "Hero". I just couldn't get into the characters like I could with most of his other books... That's when I decided to give him a break for a while... I've got some catching up to do...

One of my favorites, is "The Painted House". It's a complete departure from anything else he's done and a really good book! I also liked Skipping Xmas... He's got another out called "The Bleachers" I picked it up, but haven't read it...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Just finished "The Last Juror", pretty good but "A Time to Kill" will always be my favorite of his books. I would also say that "The Brethren" was my least favorite.

The Firm is one of my favorite books.
    I completely agree.

Reading a John Grisham novel always makes me want to be a lawyer. Yet many of them also run together in my mind. "The Pelican Brief" and "A Time to Kill" were my favorites; I haven't read the more recent ones.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Alright I will be sure to avoid The Brethren

I agree that they all run together after awhile ... that's kind of why I stopped. I definitely think his earlier works were better and yes, The Firm would be my favorite too of all his books =) I started The Summons last year, but I don't think I finished. Skipping Xmas looks interesting, I might look into that one next ...

Quote Originally Posted by hksnoopy
    I definitely think his earlier works were better

I actually liked the Bretheren. I thought it was a very believable story. I have to agree with the lack of hero viewpoint, but I don't necessarily need a hero in every book.

I haven't read all of his books, but I've liked the ones I have read. I'll probably end up reading the ones I've missed eventually.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast