+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Grisham novels

I've read 3 of John G.'s books A time to kill, the rainmaker and the client. My favourite is a time to kill because it was the first of his books I've read and made me want to read more of the series. I'm looking forward to reading the firm, John Grisham is an astonishing author.^_^

I've read every single one of his books. He is probably my favourite author.

I have read a couple of his books..the one that jumps to the front of my mind is Runaway Jury...and I have to say that I thought it was pretty cool, however, I saw the movie later and thought it was terrible----the book there was a 1000 times better and more plausible.

I like early Grisham--A Time to Kill and The Firm, of course. I thought he really bottomed out with The Testament and The Brethren, but I like the recent stuff (A Painted House and The Last Juror). If you like early Grisham like A Time to Kill, you'll probably like The Last Juror.

As for Grisham films, I liked The Client and The Rainmaker best. The Firm was a farce.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Has anyone here read The Broker?

I got it on Friday and finished it today. Not Grisham's best novel but still highly entertaining.

I, too, loved his earlier works like The Firm, A Time to Kill, Pelican Brief, and Runaway Jury. The only *recent* one that I have read is King of Torts, which I enjoyed.

aanimal... I agree that The Runaway Jury movie wasn't nearly as good as the book, but I enjoyed it for it's own merits.

Another author that is similar to JG's style but, IMO, does it much better is David Baldacci. I haven't found one of his books that I haven't enjoyed. They are terrific fun and suspense.

My mom has read all his books, and she's got them all in our "library". As a junior, we do American literature and so when we have independent reading, you can read anything by an American author. The first one I chose was Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (which was good), but the second one I did was "Runaway Jury".

For somewhat of a long book, I surprised myself by getting into it and actually reading the whole thing. I did watch the movie afterwards just for comparison purposes. I will agree that I didn't like it as well, but just because there was so much Nick did with the jurors and with Judge Harkin that made it really interesting. Also, kicking off more jurors and just all of that made the book more fun for me. The acting and all was good though.

I've only read the one, but I do want to read more. I've been told that the Firm would be a good one to read, but it was a longer one and I didn't have time to read it fr school.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    Has anyone here read The Broker?

I got it on Friday and finished it today. Not Grisham's best novel but still highly entertaining.
    This is the only Grisham book I haven't read yet. His earlier books were some of my favorites, but I guess I've become disenchanted with courtroom fiction, as they've become increasingly less interesting to me. I'll probably check it out of the library sooner or later, as opposed to buying it, which I've done with his other novels.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    This is the only Grisham book I haven't read yet. His earlier books were some of my favorites, but I guess I've become disenchanted with courtroom fiction, as they've become increasingly less interesting to me. I'll probably check it out of the library sooner or later, as opposed to buying it, which I've done with his other novels.

This book is really not based on the courtroom at all, so maybe you will really like it.

Thanks, JLuvs. Since I've read all the books I bought recently it's time to visit the library again. I'll have to put my name on the wait list but they'll eventually get to me.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast