+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book recommendation

Book recommendation

Something slightly educational which wouldn't bored the hell outta me. (educational meaning probably some SAT words inside ) Because all the recommendations I get are books that I'm not too interested in. I'm 18 if the age matters Thanks

lalol, do you mean educational as in literature? Or non-fiction?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Dracula. That was a hella-good book. Just make sure to get a copy with large print...
    Gustav Holst was right!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hathorne
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles
    Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot
    Westminster Abbey by Washington Irving
    A Tale of Two Cities by ???
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Charles Dickens wrote "A Tale of Two Cities".
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

umm yeah fiction and best if it's not too literature-ish thanks for the recommendations so far! I copied them down on the list. There are so little book stores in where I live

And lalol, if you want something more current try anything by Margaret Atwood (almost all her novels are set in late 20th century so anyone can relate to the stories, but "literature-ish" enough to be taught in university English courses). I also like Marilyn French's novels but they do have a strong feminist slant so if that turns you off, don't go there

For classic stuff, you can't beat Jane Austen.
    Last edited by AJane; 01-26-2004 at 11:46 AM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi
    Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot
    I this book so much! My daughter insists on hearing about Mungojerrie & Rumpelteazer every night so she can scream out "it's that terrible cat!"
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    And lalol, if you want something more current try anything by Margaret Atwood (almost all her novels are set in late 20th century so anyone can relate to the stories, but "literature-ish" enough to be taught in university English courses).
    Oh yes! She is the metafiction goddess, that Atwood. (And Canadian, to boot! ) Try "Alias Grace" or "The Blind Assasin" - excellent stuff. Taut plotlines and provocative style.

There are quite a lot of writers out there who write stuff both extremely readable yet literary. You should be able to find something you like.

ALL PEOPLE BELOW THE AGE OF 20 SHOULD READ CATCHER IN THE RYE BY J.D. SALINGER!!!

And when I was a teenager, Lalol, I loved Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton. They're both poets (although you should check out Plath's Bell Jar, a novel), both quite accessible, and an excellent introduction to women's literature.

Like AverageJane, I would also recommend Jane Austen. You also cannot go wrong with anything by the Bronte sisters--Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, et al. They're quite romantic, but can still pass muster in a lit course.

As for more contemporary writers, I think Toni Morrison is a must-read. For sheer fun, I love Dave Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius) and David Foster Wallace (Infinite Jest but start with his short stories).

Just throwing ideas out from the top of my head. Tell us what you think of these, then maybe we'll have a better idea of what appeals to you and can make more suggestions.

READING IS FUN-DA-MENTAL!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast