+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book recommendation

I can't believe I've forgotten to recommend one of my all-time favorite books. Although it's non-fiction, it's somewhat historical: "The Boys on the Bus", by Timothy Crouse. It's about the political reporters who followed Nixon and the other presidential candidates in 1972. Just fascinating. For a rather (ok, lot) more trippy version, read Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail." If you like that, he's done many other books as well.
    Last edited by Lucy; 01-31-2004 at 12:50 AM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Currently reading: Private life of Chairman Mao... mostly to build more knowledge on my history course on China now

(educational meaning probably some SAT words inside)
    The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

The "Gossip Girl"series
    "All American Girl" by Meg Cabot
    The "Losing Christine" series
    The "T'Witches" series.
    The "Princess Diaries" series

Hope that helps.

FORT Fan
    I also love Atwood but for men... I would say anything Steinbeck. Readable, and "Of Mice and Men" has to be one of the best "men's type" books ever written.
    Or anything by John Irving. "A Prayer for Owen Meany" is one of my favourites ever!
    It's hilarious, and a great story, and just plain great literature.

I read Of Mice and Men before and it was good
    I'm currently starting on Da Vinci Code here. Wish me luck

I recently read The Fermata by Nicholson Baker which came out about maybe 10 years ago...it's about a temp who discovers that he can sometimes stop time even though he is not sure what triggers it(sometimes its the way he puts on his glasses,sometimes it is the way he holds a pen). The book deals with whether or not he decides to do moral things with his newfound power. I have to caution you,it gets extremely racy in several chapters,so if you are not into that kind of reading, this is definitely not the book for you! Otherwise,enjoy, I think it is an interesting read.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    Any book by Nury Vittachi

All his books have meanings
    They are well written
    They aren't bullsh!t
    Most of his books are light hearted
    Great reads

Plenty of good recommendations here; I've read many myself, and you probably can't go wrong with recommendations from this crowd.

I second the sentiment on To Kill a Mockingbird--I think this is perhaps one of the finest, most important modern American books.

If you can stomach another recommendation about Europe, and if you do like historical fiction (like Ken Follett), I heartily recommend London by Edward Rutherford.

If you're looking to learn and be entertained, I give anything by Bill Bryson my absolute highest recommendation. He'll have you snorting Cherry Coke out your nose even as you learn stuff. A Brief History of Nearly Everything lives up to its title(!) and The Mother Tongue can't be beaten with a two-foot pole for all you amateur etymologists.

Oh, and hazyshadeof: while I'm certain that Letters to Myself is a fine work of literature indeed, I must say that the author's preoccupation with his ability to woo women into bed was distracting and should not take up three chapters. Rather, I found Overlooking Job (as in the Biblical character, not the synonym for "occupation") to be an insightful, gripping and heartbreaking tale by a certain fellow with "phat" street credentials.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

To Kill a Mockingbird was good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast