+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book recommendation

:rolleyes Such modesty, hazy.

The Awakening by Kate Chopin is one of my all time favorite short novels.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Fade to black
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    :rolleyes Such modesty, hazy.
    You, of all people, know I'm kidding.

I would echo Hazy's recommendations on Nick Hornby (I was trying to remember his name) and David Sedaris (although he's non-fiction, and I'm not sure he'll help your vocabulary much). Dorothy Allison has another one called "Cavedweller" (I think; it's been a while) that was pretty good.

(but since other people are listing classics, I have to throw in some props for E.M. Forster, as "A Room With a View" is one of my faves).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    but...Huck Finn is really good
    Lalol, you're a guy, right? (I think you said so elsewhere). We seem to be directing you toward a lot of women-oriented books.
    women oriented :rolleyes

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Sorry about that... I really had no idea. Can't tell when you don't really know a person! I have no idea how you feel about historical literature at all, but I'm reading A Stillness At Appomatox. It's pretty good to me! Not a lot of people at my school like it all, though... I must be weird!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I history

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is an incredible book. It takes place in 12th century England. It is huge, but once you get into it, it is a book you will never forget.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Since you like history, Alexandre Dumas bases all of his books on actual events in history. They aren't exactly accurate on all counts but they stick to most of the story. Fiction does twist things (as it is supposed to).
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by lalol
    women oriented :rolleyes
    Wait - are you a guy, lalol? If so, you probably won't like Woolf and all that. Plath? Maybe. But you could test the waters first with "The Colossus".

Toni Morrison's "Song of Solomon" (and not "Sula") is what I'd recommend if you're planning to start on her works. Believe me, if you're a guy - you'd relate to the protagonist (and antagonist) in "Song of Solomon" much better than the ones in "Sula".

Anyway, if you're a guy, I strongly recommend works by the late Mordecai Richler. Joshua Then and Now, Solomon Gursky was Here, Barney's Version are all superb novels.

How about Nabokov? Pnin's comical and poignant enough, which should make it extremely readable.

If you like historical fiction, try Noli Me Tangere by Jose Rizal, Julian: a Novel, The Smithsonian Institution, and the American Chronicles series - all by Gore Vidal. Great stuff!

ETA: Oh, and if you have the time to squeeze in another book (among all the rest I'm sure you're going to read :wink), you've got to try Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections. Brutal stuff - terrible beauty to it.
    Last edited by nausicaa; 01-29-2004 at 11:36 PM.

I'm off to the bookshop after my exams people and this time I won't fall asleep reading cause I have all my fort-worms recommending me books

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast