+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you read ebooks?

Do you read ebooks?

I'm curious where you think e-books are going.

Do you read them? If so, how--PDA, computer, other device? Do you think they are the wave of the future, or no replacement for the real thing? I'm wondering if they aren't just like the old answering machine--full of potential, but tremendously resisted (anyone over 40 remembers the hang-ups "I won't talk to a machine!!") What do you think?

(And just an aside, hundreds of classics in the public domain are available free--the U of Virginia has a virtual library of 1800 free downloads, of works pre-1900ish, and you can even buy e-textbooks now too)

I stare at a computer screen all day, the last thing I want to do when I read is look at another one.

I prefer plain old, tree-killing books.

I have lots of ebooks. I have copies of my favorite books in ebook format. I usually read them on my Pocket PC, but it's been on the fritz lately, so I use my computer to read them. I use Microsoft Reader, and it's pretty good (no scrolling down).

I think ebooks are great (you can carry them around in your handheld, etc) but they're not a replacement for the real thing, at least not now.

I agree with John, the glare from a computer screen kills, so why continue killing your eyes when reading?

Since childhood, I have been an avowed bibliophile. I love reading, but more than that I also just love the tactile pleasure of holding a book, the feel of the pages whispering against my fingers as I turn them, the physical weight of a piece of literature in my hands. That's why I have amassed a fairly large collection of books, because I love them not only as pieces of literature, but as objects in and of themselves.

So, in short, I'm not a fan of ebooks myself. I am online a lot, and don't mind reading some things on screen, but it just doesn't give me the same pleasure as good old fashioned, palpable book.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Since childhood, I have been an avowed bibliophile. I love reading, but more than that I also just love the tactile pleasure of holding a book, the feel of the pages whispering against my fingers as I turn them, the physical weight of a piece of literature in my hands. That's why I have amassed a fairly large collection of books, because I love them not only as pieces of literature, but as objects in and of themselves.

So, in short, I'm not a fan of ebooks myself. I am online a lot, and don't mind reading some things on screen, but it just doesn't give me the same pleasure as good old fashioned, palpable book.

I actually have never read an e-book. I just can't imagine trying to sit at my computer trying to read a a book. I have listened to books on tape while I'm cleaning or was at the gym. I read while I cook, on my breaks at work and pretty much anytime and anywhere I can hold a book and look at the words. It's a treat to sit and read for 3-4 hours at a time. Looking at a screen would burn my eyes out.
    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

You never really get the 'feeling' that you read a book without holding a solid copy

Agreed, I'm an avid bookworm, and I just cannot get into e-books, or audiobooks, for that matter.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I've never read an e-book or even listened to a book on tape.

I actually don't borrow many books because I like owning them myself. Just something about holding the book and sitting down to read is what I enjoy.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Well, I just bought my first ebook. I'd actually ordered a hard copy from Amazon like 2 weeks ago, but they keep pushing back the date to ship. At this point it looks like mid February before I'd see it. So, I cancelled that and ordered the MS Reader version. Instead of waiting a month and paying $11.98 (including shipping), I downloaded it this morning for $5.99. So far I'm not impressed with the look of the page, but the availability is sure nice.

What are ebooks?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast