+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Read anything atrociously bad recently?

I'll have to read a summation of it, Erin, and find out what all I missed out on
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Man, I go away for a few days and the conversation has moved waaay ahead of me!

Holly71,Memoirs of a Geisha is one of my favorites, too. It's odd that an Englishman wrote so intimately about the private life of someone with a lifestyle so different, yet it was completely convincing.

Salome, I've been in situations where I've been desperate enough to read the travel guide, the room service menu and the HBO preview guide. I know what it's like to read anything in lieu of nothing. I liked Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. I've read one other of hers but I don't remember which one it was.

to Texicana for wanting a synopsis to Insomnia. I liked it, too. But then I like almost everything King's written.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

FORT Fan
    Dress You Up in My Love....So bad I wouldnt give it to Goodwill. I don't want someone else to waste time on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Teppo
    Dress You Up in My Love....So bad I wouldnt give it to Goodwill. I don't want someone else to waste time on it!

Is that about Madonna? Just wondering because she had a song with that title.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality
    Is that about Madonna? Just wondering because she had a song with that title.
    It's another chick lit book.

Samantha Stone, a wisecracking, 30-something freelance photographer, copes with the ramifications of a little white lie in Stingley's cute debut. To escape one more round of Yahtzee on Thanksgiving, Sam invents a date and a boyfriend. "Why isn't he spending Thanksgiving with his family?" Sam's mother asks. "He's an orphan," Sam quips. More improbable, fictional details follow, and before she knows it, she's got to hire an actor. Fake boyfriend Alex Graham fools a whole host of folks: lesbian best friend Shelley, exasperating ex Greg, comically silent Uncle Verne and anti-bacterial soap fanatic Mom. There are certain advantages to hiring a boyfriend for holiday parties, Sam discovers: "I'm telling you, Halle Berry could walk by topless and if I'm there, he wouldn't give her a second look." But there's a downside, too: the actor, Mark Simpson, is a little too serious about his craft: "I'm looking for the person underneath the orthodontist who skydives. Why did I become an orthodontist? What was my motivation?" Stingley sometimes slips from funny to just plain corny, but Sam's voice is winning, even when she's spouting drivel. With an ending that's hopeful rather than picture perfect, this is a bright, fun and fluffy modern fairy tale.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

The Nanny Diaries - boring!!!! I only decided to read it on the recommendation from a friend and did not enjoy it at all.
    Darn Kangaroos!! I am le tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    to Texicana for wanting a synopsis to Insomnia. I liked it, too. But then I like almost everything King's written.
    Oh behave, bay-bee! Bee-hiave! If you haven't read Insomnia all the way through, you wouldn't know it is nearly impossible to summarize what happens to Ralph.

And, frankly, I have to agree with Texicana: for the first 100 pages, it's a dozer, and I thought I had found that rare SK book I couldn't finish. But right about the time the Little Bald Doctors come, it becomes a new read, an incredible read.

Hell, it's a Dark Tower book, and Ralph is a freakin' Gunslinger. (No spoilers.)

And, yes, I'm with you, Erin--it's one of my favorites, too.
    Last edited by phat32; 09-20-2004 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Clarity

Read The Da Vinci Code to see what all the fuss was about! Absolute rubbish, really silly. How can people get so caught up in this as to believe it as fact!! My cousin keeps telling me it's based on fact, mind you, she is a real airhead!!

Confessions of a Shopaholic got on my nerves so much I couldn't finish it. It's one of those "Everyone loved it except for me" books.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I didn't see this thread yesterday when I went on a big rant about Dan Brown's Digital Fortress. It has spoilers so I won't repeat what I said out of that thread, but my main beef with the book is that the big puzzle/mystery at the end was so obvious I solved it right off, then had to endure pages and pages of the characters waffling around trying to come up with the answer. I went and quizzed family and friends about it too - they all came up with the same obvious answer before I told them why I was asking. And this is after spending a lot of time trying to convince you the principals are the most intelligent and amazing brains in the universe. :phhht
    Hepcat,
    The only book by Dan Brown that I hated more than Digital Fortress was Deception Code or whatever it's called. I loved TDC and went out and bought the other 3. I read Deception Code next and absolutely hated it. The only reason I read Digital Fortress was b/c I paid good money for it. Maybe I prefered it to Deception Code b/c I wasn't expecting much out of it. Fortunately I held out and read Angels and Demons. I loved that one.

toothdoc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345