+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Read anything atrociously bad recently?

Quote Originally Posted by aceiling
    "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. Some may consider this a travesty, but I found the book tedious and insipid. I couldn't even muster interest enough to finish it.
    I loved this book. It is one of my favorite re-reads. I have a very old copy in my library, as well as an edition published a couple of years ago. It struck a chord in me, the poverty and harshness of life for the Irish immigrants. It really is dated, but in a way that's a good thing; it gives us a little glimpse into that period of upheaval in America.

I've read it so many times I can open the book and find the passages I want to read with no trouble. I'm sorry you didn't like it.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I'm reading "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby right now. I'm about 85 pages into it, & it feels like torture. I cannot get into it. I have never seen the movie, & before I started reading the book, I did want to see it. Now, I don't think so! I don't even know if I'll finish reading the book.

RE: Patricia Cornwell ~ I read one of her books (can't remember which one) & I did not like it at all. I thought she was way boring! Also, RE: Michael Crichton ~ the only book I've ever read of his was "Disclosure" (I think that was the name of it) & I didn't like it either.

Off the topic for just a second: My favorite book of all time is "Memoirs of a Geisha" & I just read that they are making a movie of it.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by holly71
    I'm reading "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby right now. I'm about 85 pages into it, & it feels like torture. I cannot get into it. I have never seen the movie, & before I started reading the book, I did want to see it. Now, I don't think so! I don't even know if I'll finish reading the book.

I felt the same way about "High Fidelity" at first, (and hadn't seen the movie), but I put it away for about 6 months and when I finally picked it up again I really got into it and loved it. I still think the beginning is hard to get through, but I thought it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllenMishke
    I felt the same way about "High Fidelity" at first, (and hadn't seen the movie), but I put it away for about 6 months and when I finally picked it up again I really got into it and loved it. I still think the beginning is hard to get through, but I thought it was worth it.
    So it gets better? Maybe I'll wait 6 months & try again. Or maybe I'll just tough it out & finish it over the weekend.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Dinahann, I enjoyed A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!

Oh boy, when I was in Europe this summer, I finished my summer reading early and was forced to read from a Polish library where there were only three English books available: Daphne duMauier, Pearl S. Buck, and a suspence novel called Fall From Grace. Fall From Grace was written by a priest of all people, and had the most melodramatic, ridiculous plot I've ever encountered. Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be good ( the cover says it all: http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/...?authorid=7052 .) I was desperate!

Quote Originally Posted by realitycrazmom
    Did you read "A Child Called It"? It's the book that precludes "The Lost Boy". I can see how "The Lost Boy" wouldn't go over very well without reading "A Child Called It" first.

"A Child Called It" is about how Dave was tortured and abused for years by his alcoholic mother in their home. "The Lost Boy" is about what happens to him after he is removed from the home. Dave won't appear so evil to you after you read "A Child Called It". (Personally, I cried!)

I just finished all 3 of his books. I thought they were very good. Another book I just finished yesterday was Song of Susanna, by King (dark tower series) I could barely make it through that book it was so dull. I've been a fan of his since "Carrie" but have to say that IMO this was the worst book yet for King.

I also love Stephen King's works, but I found "Insomnia" really unbearable.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

And now we have a difference of opinion. "Insomnia" is now, and always will be, my favorite Stephen King book. I have read it 4 times and am always sobbing at how the book ends.

I didn't get past the second chapter before Insomnia bored me to sleep. Ironic, huh?
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

And I stayed awake for two days straight to finish reading it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast