+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Read anything atrociously bad recently?

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haejin11377
    The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer or however you spell it. Please don't hurt me. A lot of my friends loved it, so I was hoping that it'd be great. And as always, I was wrong.

I'm sorry, but I don't find the story "good" in the least. It certainly wasn't "inspirational", nor did it touch me in any way. I didn't feel sorry for the boy in the story at all (I know it was an autobiographical account of the writers's childhood). To me, he was evil.
    Did you read "A Child Called It"? It's the book that precludes "The Lost Boy". I can see how "The Lost Boy" wouldn't go over very well without reading "A Child Called It" first.

"A Child Called It" is about how Dave was tortured and abused for years by his alcoholic mother in their home. "The Lost Boy" is about what happens to him after he is removed from the home. Dave won't appear so evil to you after you read "A Child Called It". (Personally, I cried!)
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

Any sort of "I-Confessional" novels, written by female authors whose literary reputations have been primarily built upon their liaisons with famous male novelists. Which rules out anything written by Joyce Maynard or Evelyn Lau, I guess. All of it just seems so exploitative to me.

Robert Grave (he of "I, Claudius" fame) and his novel "Homer's Daughter" disappointed me, as well.

Fort Member
    I am sooo happy to find that I am not the only one who thinks that Patricia Cornwall has lost the plot
    I really enjoyed the first three Scarpatta novels but after that they have become so bad that I didnt bother buying the latest one. Its just such a dissapointment. But I am so pleased so many others feel the same. The worst book I can remember the name of that I have read is Gorky Park. It was so boring I just could not get into it. I was also not a great fan of the Horse Whisperer. I found it boring too. I never bothered seeing the movies as I figured they would be just as boring even though others raved about them.

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. Some may consider this a travesty, but I found the book tedious and insipid. I couldn't even muster interest enough to finish it.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    I really hated The Pigman's Legacy.

But that might be because I had to read it for school and had to do a report on it.

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    I hated, hated, HATED "The Dogs of Babel" by Carolyn Parkhurst. The story was ridiculous, the ending was disappointing and I didn't find the characters endearing at all.

Did I mention that I hated the book? :deadhorse

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aceiling
    "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. Some may consider this a travesty, but I found the book tedious and insipid. I couldn't even muster interest enough to finish it.

I couldn't bear reading that book. Just when you thought it would end, and that it SHOULD end, it kept on going, and going, and going.... made me mad

Quote Originally Posted by realitycrazmom
    Did you read "A Child Called It"? It's the book that precludes "The Lost Boy". I can see how "The Lost Boy" wouldn't go over very well without reading "A Child Called It" first.

"A Child Called It" is about how Dave was tortured and abused for years by his alcoholic mother in their home. "The Lost Boy" is about what happens to him after he is removed from the home. Dave won't appear so evil to you after you read "A Child Called It". (Personally, I cried!)

I agree, RCM - I cried through the whole thing.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

FORT Regular
    I bought Helen Fielding's latest book "Olivia Jules and her Overactive Imagination" because I loved Bridget Jones Diary and the follow up. I am dissapointed, I found it unfunny and boring. I can't form any sort of attachment to the main character. I have about 100 pages to go, I put it down and may only finish it when I have nothing else to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexa
    I bought Helen Fielding's latest book "Olivia Jules and her Overactive Imagination" because I loved Bridget Jones Diary and the follow up. I am dissapointed, I found it unfunny and boring. I can't form any sort of attachment to the main character. I have about 100 pages to go, I put it down and may only finish it when I have nothing else to read.
    Alexa, I was disappointed, too. Oliva just wasn't believable at all. Reading the first chapter I thought she was a "Bridget Jones" type girl daydreaming of being a spy in Fielding's amusing, tongue in cheek style. When I discovered the plot wasn't a parody my enjoyment diminished a great deal. I DID finish it but if you don't you won't be missing much.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast