+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Read anything atrociously bad recently?

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    As far as spegs' Binchy comment - I actually preferred Scarlet Feather to Quentins. I like Binchy as a gentle, relaxing read (a girl I used to work with called them "bathtub books") and Quentins was a little too cloak-and-dagger for me. I don't want her heroines to be edgy blonde beauties on the run from their criminal lovers, I want the down-to-earth Rias and Cathys.

JMO...
    I understand what you mean. I just felt like if Scarlet Feather was a love story about Tom and Cathy, then it failed. If it wasn't then what was with them getting together in the last paragraph? I couldn't tell what the book was trying to DO, which annoyed me. But I did like a lot of the characters, which seems to be Binchy's greatest gift. Quentins was not one of my all time favorites, nor do I think Binchy's writing fall into the "atrocious" catagory. I was just using her as an example of someone whose writing has slipped. I think she needs to let go of some of these characters and start fresh.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

I'm gonna get it for this, but - anything by John Grisham, with the sole exception of The Firm. Maybe it's just because I don't like the thriller genre, but I find the stories boring and the writing mediocre.
    I enjoy Grisham very much, but I did not like "A Painted House" because it is so different from his other writing and, imho, tries too hard to be "litterature" rather than a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by pink_princess
    Cornwell sucks harder and harder with each new book. She should just retire and live off her royalties.
    I agree a hundred million percent.

I used to love the Scarpetta books. Then she released some non-Scarpetta book called (I believe) Hornet's Nest, and even though I tried on more than a few occasions to get into it, I never made it past page 10. The male character she was writing was irritatingly perfect. Even his "flaws" were actually strengths. Wtf is interesting about someone like that? It was like she let some 19 year old creative writing student ghostwrite the damn thing, and then just slapped her name on it. The departure from her level of quality to that point was striking.

I haven't even bothered to try reading anything she's put out since. And after reading this thread, I'm glad I didn't. It sounds like she's really lost it.

I didn't see this thread yesterday when I went on a big rant about Dan Brown's Digital Fortress. It has spoilers so I won't repeat what I said out of that thread, but my main beef with the book is that the big puzzle/mystery at the end was so obvious I solved it right off, then had to endure pages and pages of the characters waffling around trying to come up with the answer. I went and quizzed family and friends about it too - they all came up with the same obvious answer before I told them why I was asking. And this is after spending a lot of time trying to convince you the principals are the most intelligent and amazing brains in the universe. :phhht
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    I'm thinking of this as a public service thread. You can spare people all sorts of grief by sharing the books that were absolutely horrible in this thread.

I'll start.

Timeline by Michael Crichton. What a complete failure of writing that piece of trash was. You can tell the guy is too entrenched in screenplays because many of the scenes in the book were obvious sight gags that would probably work on film but were tediously (and ineffectively) described in prose.
    I actually *liked* "Timeline", Paulie, but you're making me embarrassed to admit it.
    Ironically, it was just a made into a movie, and while I haven't seen it, people over in the movie forum say it was awful.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Oops. Sorry, Lucy. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but I just hated the fact that I wasted so much time reading that thing. On the other hand, it taught me a lot about what I don't want to do when I'm working on my own book.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Oops. Sorry, Lucy. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but I just hated the fact that I wasted so much time reading that thing. On the other hand, it taught me a lot about what I don't want to do when I'm working on my own book.
    Oh no, I know it's not an attack. I'm just glad I'm not the one who recommended it to you.
    I think I liked the generalities of the book -- I thought it was an entertaining read -- and didn't worry too much about the writing or the characters.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Well, I haven't read it, but I'm certain that Lies and the Lying Liars that Tell Them is going to be absolutely horrible...

Mercy Road by Dalia Pagani. One of the most atrocious peices of trash that I've ever read. Honestly, I think that the only character that I even sort of came close to liking was Sid, and I wasn't even really a fan. It was just an absolutely ridiculous plot line, in my opinion.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't understand why 'The Scarlett Letter' is supposedly so great. I really didn't enjoy it at all.

Also, I absolutely hated, hated, hated, 'The Garden of Eden' by Ernest Hemmingway. I tried several times to finish it but I just can't do it. It's all I've read by him. Can someone please tell me if all his writing is this bad. It has an absolutely ridiculous (and almost non existant) plot line, coupled with the worst dialogue that I have ever read. I just don't understand the appeal.
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

I'm gonna get it for this, but - anything by John Grisham, with the sole exception of The Firm.

Too funny...we feel the same way about Grisham, though the only one I like is A Time to Kill. I fell asleep in the movie theatre watching The Firm and fell asleep on a beach reading it...heh heh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast