+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Stephen King books made into movies

I saw The Running Man last night on tv for the first time years. I couldn't beleive how bad it looks by today's standards. I loved this movie when I first saw it, and although the story is good, the acting and special effects look awful. I'll go back to the book if I feel the need to re-experience this one.

I have never seen a Stephen King movie. And I never will. His books alone scare me half to death. Which at one time I really enjoyed. But not any more. I live alone. And have a vivid imagination. Enough said.

E.T.A. I am mistaken. I saw Misery and Creepshow.
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-14-2006 at 02:30 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    It's funny you should bring up a King made-for-TV movie, geek the girl. I was watching Out of Time on TNT today--a wonderful Hitchcock-like thriller, by the way--when I first saw the promo for Nightmares and Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King.

(From the official site)

The lineup includes:

Umney's Last Case
    The End of the Whole Mess
    Crouch End
    The Fifth Quarter
    Autopsy Room Four
    You Know They Got a Hell of a Band
    Battleground
    The Road Virus Heads North
    (View the table of contents from N&D on Amazon here.)

I'm thrilled that three of my all-time favorite King short stories were selected: Umney's Last Case, The End of the Whole Mess and Crouch End. And I couldn't be happier that William H. Macy, one of my favorite actors, was tapped for the part of Umney. In my opinion, no one does "dogged Everyman" better than Macy. On the other hand, three of my least favorite King short stories were tapped, as well: The Fifth Quarter, ...Hell of a Band and Road Virus. Can't win them all, I suppose.
    This starts next week - July 12th - I'm excited!

I can't wait for Hell of a Band. That is a great story. So glad "Survivor Type" isn't part of this book. I really don't want or need to see that one made into a movie.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Black Belt Beauty KarateGirl1387's Avatar
    The only King movies I've ever seen were 'Carrie' (the older one with Sissy Spacek), 'Pet Sematary,' and 'Secret Window,' which I thought was pretty good, although the ending was completely different than the novela. Overall, I'd say his movies are okay (this coming from someone who has only read one out of the three movies seen). I've been tempted to pick up 'Pet Sematary' but I hear it's quite frightening
    "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire."

Quote Originally Posted by KarateGirl1387 View Post
    The only King movies I've ever seen were 'Carrie' (the older one with Sissy Spacek), 'Pet Sematary,' and 'Secret Window,' which I thought was pretty good, although the ending was completely different than the novela. Overall, I'd say his movies are okay (this coming from someone who has only read one out of the three movies seen). I've been tempted to pick up 'Pet Sematary' but I hear it's quite frightening
    Misery is good - both the book and the movie. Also, Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

Black Belt Beauty KarateGirl1387's Avatar
    Ooh yeah, I forgot about those ones, haha! I've seen both 'Shawshank' and 'Green Mile' but haven't read the novels, though my Justice & Ethics teacher in high school told us that the 'Green Mile' novel is a lot more graphic in depicting the electric chair scene(s). That movie made me cry at the end, I loved both films!
    "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire."

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    It's funny you should bring up a King made-for-TV movie, geek the girl. I was watching Out of Time on TNT today--a wonderful Hitchcock-like thriller, by the way--when I first saw the promo for Nightmares and Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King.

(From the official site)

The lineup includes:

Umney's Last Case
    The End of the Whole Mess
    Crouch End
    The Fifth Quarter
    Autopsy Room Four
    You Know They Got a Hell of a Band
    Battleground
    The Road Virus Heads North
    (View the table of contents from N&D on Amazon here.)

I'm thrilled that three of my all-time favorite King short stories were selected: Umney's Last Case, The End of the Whole Mess and Crouch End. And I couldn't be happier that William H. Macy, one of my favorite actors, was tapped for the part of Umney. In my opinion, no one does "dogged Everyman" better than Macy. On the other hand, three of my least favorite King short stories were tapped, as well: The Fifth Quarter, ...Hell of a Band and Road Virus. Can't win them all, I suppose.
    Anyone watching these? I taped them and have only watched The End of the Whole Mess. It was very good. I can't wait to watch the rest of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678