+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King books made into movies

Nothing comes close to Stand By Me. That has always been my favorite of the movies adapted from SK's books. I enjoyed The Stand and The Shining (both the movie and tv miniseries) but Stand By Me is an absolute classic in my eyes and probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

The absolute worst job they ever did adapting his work was the Langoliers. I was so dissapointed with that.

Just thought I'd remind everyone that Desperation will air on ABC on Tuesday, May 23rd. You lucky bastards! I probably won't get to see it for a while. Being an X-Phile and all, I'm psyched that Agent Reyes (Annabeth Gish) will be in it. Overall, the casting seems pretty accurate.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 05-20-2006 at 04:36 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Just thought I'd remind everyone that Desperation will air on ABC on Tuesday, May 23rd. You lucky bastards!...
    It's funny you should bring up a King made-for-TV movie, geek the girl. I was watching Out of Time on TNT today--a wonderful Hitchcock-like thriller, by the way--when I first saw the promo for Nightmares and Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King.

(From the official site)

The lineup includes:

Umney's Last Case
    The End of the Whole Mess
    Crouch End
    The Fifth Quarter
    Autopsy Room Four
    You Know They Got a Hell of a Band
    Battleground
    The Road Virus Heads North
    (View the table of contents from N&D on Amazon here.)

I'm thrilled that three of my all-time favorite King short stories were selected: Umney's Last Case, The End of the Whole Mess and Crouch End. And I couldn't be happier that William H. Macy, one of my favorite actors, was tapped for the part of Umney. In my opinion, no one does "dogged Everyman" better than Macy. On the other hand, three of my least favorite King short stories were tapped, as well: The Fifth Quarter, ...Hell of a Band and Road Virus. Can't win them all, I suppose.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    URL].)

I'm thrilled that three of my all-time favorite King short stories were selected: Umney's Last Case, The End of the Whole Mess and Crouch End. And I couldn't be happier that William H. Macy, one of my favorite actors, was tapped for the part of Umney. In my opinion, no one does "dogged Everyman" better than Macy. On the other hand, three of my least favorite King short stories were tapped, as well: The Fifth Quarter, ...Hell of a Band and Road Virus. Can't win them all, I suppose.
    William H. Macy as Umney? Coolness! Should be amazing. You're right, he has that "dogged Everyman" persona down to perfection.

All in all, good picks. You don't like "The Road Virus Heads North"? In spite of - or probably because of - its corniness, I think it's a pretty decent story in a fun, tongue-in-cheek way. (You are, after all, talking to the girl who thought "Grey Matter" was one of the most captivating stories from Night Shift. I'm a sucker for over the top morbid, slightly cheesy and stupid stuff.) I'd like to own a painting like the one in the story - apart from the funny stuff, that is. Sounds like a kitsch dream, doesn't it? Apparently, Stephen King owns a similar painting himself, which made him think of the story in the first place.

ETA: Not sure if this has been mentioned upthread, but "1408" is about to be turned into a movie by Swedish director Mikael Håfström (Evil and Derailed). He directed a Halloween/Friday the 13th-esque horror movie in Sweden before he started working internationally, so he's got some experience within the genre.

Most of all, though, I'm really excited about Eli Roth directing Cell!
    Last edited by geek the girl; 05-21-2006 at 07:04 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Did anyone watch Desperation last night? What did you think? I was a bit dissapointed I kept getting the feeling I was watching a made for TV movie (I know I was, but I was expecting something more, even some made for tv SciFi channel movies look like actual movies) Anyway, I muddled through it and immediately fell asleep after it was over...lol

Of the two books I always preferred The Regulators anyway, but I suppose it would be to violent to make, at least to make for TV.

Anyway, that's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Meda View Post
    Did anyone watch Desperation last night? What did you think? I was a bit dissapointed I kept getting the feeling I was watching a made for TV movie (I know I was, but I was expecting something more, even some made for tv SciFi channel movies look like actual movies) Anyway, I muddled through it and immediately fell asleep after it was over...lol

Of the two books I always preferred The Regulators anyway, but I suppose it would be to violent to make, at least to make for TV.

I taped it and will watch later. I still have the season finale of 24 to watch so it may be a while.

FORT Regular
    I may have missed it but did anyone notice if King made an appearance in this movie?
    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

Quote Originally Posted by Meda View Post

I recorded it and started watching it after House went off. I hated it. I thought it was so poorly acted that it was painful to watch. I only made it about a half hour into it before turning it off.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought Desperation was horrible!

And bookaddict, I never saw King, but then again he might have popped up while I had my eyes closed...lol

I started to watch - and couldn't finish it - I think I watched 30 minutes of it as well. Very bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast