+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King books made into movies

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi
    Being an avid Stephen King fan, I've read every thing he wrote, I must admit, most of the movies were complete dissapointments. I did think the TV movies...The Stand, It, and Salems Lot were good. But on tv, you can make them longer and can include more of the book in those movies.
    Same here. I really liked Salems Lot and thought Misery was a good adaptation to film. It was as suspenseful as the book was - IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi
    I hope they never try to turn the Dark Towers series into movies. It won't work!!
    I think it could work if Peter Jackson or someone like him directed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat32
    2. The only actor who can possibly come close to pulling off Roland would be Clint Eastwood. And even then, I'm not sure he could.
    And I agree that Clint Eastwood would make a good Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Agreed; Bag of Bones is one of my all-time favourite King novels. Aaand, it looks like we just might get lucky: according to imdb, a movie version of Bag of Bones is currently in production. www.stephenking.com also mentions a movie in the making. No details about director or actors though. Any suggestions? I think Bill Pullman could be a good choice for the character of Mike. In any case, it has to be someone with a likeable "good guy" vibe.
    OH my god. That is the coolest news ever. I've been dying for a movie from that book since i read it. I'm so excited. Bill Pullman is a good suggestion for Mike. I also like the idea of David Duchovny.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I think this answers who's going to play Mike. From Stephen King's website:

Bag of Bones
    The Movie

Film rights for Bag of Bones have been optioned. MGM will be distributing this as a theater release. Bruce Willis is the Producer.

I'm not crazy about him as Mike. Maybe he'll just stick to producing this one.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Premium Member
    I'm not crazy about Bruce Willis either but I think he could pull it off. I do like the idea of Bill Pullman playing Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    I also like the idea of David Duchovny.
    Oh my God, David Duchovny would be wonderful! I'm such an X-Phile it's ridiculous (currently working my way through all seasons on DVD), and I'd love to see him in something good for a change. But with Bruce Willis producing...

Do you guys think Stephen King will make a cameo appearance? I love looking for him in his movies; they usually give him a funny character, like the pizza delivery guy in (fill in correct movie title here) or the complaining passer-by in Sleepwalkers. He hasn't been in any of the recent films though, has he?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Do you guys think Stephen King will make a cameo appearance? I love looking for him in his movies; they usually give him a funny character, like the pizza delivery guy in (fill in correct movie title here) or the complaining passer-by in Sleepwalkers. He hasn't been in any of the recent films though, has he?
    I found this list of his appearances on stephenking.com

The Stand
    Teddy Weizak

The Langoliers
    Chairman of the Board

Thinner
    Pharmacist

The Shining (miniseries)
    Gage Creed, Band leader

Storm of the Century
    Sleazy Lawyer in TV Commercial

Rose Red
    Pizza Delivery Guy

Maximum Overdrive
    Man at ATM

Knight Riders (a film by George Romero)

Kingdom Hospital
    Johnny B. Goode
    Last edited by Marleybone; 09-28-2005 at 10:17 AM.

I don't think he's always credited with his appearances. He was the priest at the funeral in Pet Semetary. I heard (or read somewhere) that he had appeared in all his movies up to that point except for 2 of them. I don't know which 2. Sorry!

~*Sawyer's Love slave*~ sydneysummers's Avatar
    Add me to the fans that want to see Bag of Bones made into a film. I ws talking to someone about Stephen King books made into movies the other day. I was saying that I thought the movie Carrie was better than the book. That does not happen often but it does sometimes!
    *Maeby*"I drugged him not to go all the way with him"
    *George Michael*"I think even the antidrug people would be okay with that"

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Agreed; Bag of Bones is one of my all-time favourite King novels. Aaand, it looks like we just might get lucky: according to imdb, a movie version of Bag of Bones is currently in production. www.stephenking.com also mentions a movie in the making. No details about director or actors though. Any suggestions? I think Bill Pullman could be a good choice for the character of Mike. In any case, it has to be someone with a likeable "good guy" vibe.

Some other interesting tidbits about other upcoming King movie projects, again courtesy of http://www.stephenking.com/pages/faq/future.php:

"The Talisman : Currently in pre-production. This movie is slated for theatrical release in 2005, but no date has been set."

"Desperation : Currently in post-production. Desperation is now being produced as a feature movie (not a miniseries) for ABC (no air date yet). Mick Garris, whose previous Stephen King projects include Riding the Bullet, The Stand, The Shining, Quicksilver Highway [Chattery Teeth], and Sleepwalkers, wrote the screenplay and is directing this production. Cast members include:
    Ron Perlman as Collie Entragian
    Tom Skerritt as Johnny Marinville
    Steven Weber as Steve Ames
    Matt Frewer as Ralph Carver
    Annabeth Gish as Mary Jackson
    Henry Thomas as Peter Jackson
    Charles Durning as Tom Billingsley"

Edited to add: Apparently, Desperation will be aired on ABC in May 2006.
    I just read this book recently - looking forward to seeing this one on May 23rd.

From King's website:
    Desperation will air on May 23rd, at 8:00 p.m. on ABC - Check your local listings.

I ordinarily don’t comment far in advance on films based on my work, especially TV films, but in the case of Desperation I am going to make an exception because my old partner in crime, Mick Garris, has produced an extraordinary piece of work, and the ensemble cast is outstanding. Ron Perlman as Collie Entragian will haunt your dreams. You might want to consider making time in May (tentative) for this one, which is when ABC plans to run it.

One word of warning: this is TV and it’s impossible to tell in advance how much of a given piece of work will be cut. The version of Desperation I saw was graphic and very frightening. This may make the network uneasy.

-Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    And I thought the casting was great, except I didn't buy Molly Ringwald as Frannie.
    I am so with you on this one. I hated Molly Ringwald as Frannie. Other than that, the casting was great. I love both the movie and the book.

The idea of Bag Of Bones turned into a movie kinda scares me. I just worry how it would be done. As long as Stephen King keeps his hands in the project it should be good. The book scared the crap out of me.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast