+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King books made into movies

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama
    I guess I'm in the minority here because I happened to love the TV mini series on "The Stand". True, I loved the book alot but I did enjoy the mini-series. I loved Jamey Sheridan as the sexy bad guy and the guy who played on "Coach" who was the retard ("M-O-O-N moon").
    Yes, you're in the minority, but not alone. I'm there too. I was dreading that mini-series, I really thought they'd butcher it, but I was pleasantly surpised. I've watched it several times. And I thought the casting was great, except I didn't buy Molly Ringwald as Frannie.

I also loved the movie versions of Carrie, The Shining and Misery.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

It's nice to see this thread revived.

Let's see: I agree with Stargazer that Bag of Bones should be turned into a film. If it's done well (M. Night Shyamalan, anyone?), it could be one of those films that has people coming out and asking, "Really? That was a Stephen King?"

I think some of the short stories could make good films. I'd also like to see The Mist and Rage. Rage could set off a political firestorm because of its subject matter in our touchy political climate--student holds classroom hostage--but with the right cast and right screenplay it could be a great film.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama
    Stephen King has a way of getting inside of your head..even if you KNOW it can't happen, you always have that little wiggle of self doubt in your mind...THAT'S what Stephen King feeds on!!! Damn his hide!!!!
    I have the ultimate King-to-real-life story: The week before Fortcon I last year, I finished re-reading Everything's Eventual. I re-read my favorite, 1408, twice. It's the one about the haunted hotel room. The occupant doesn't believe it's haunted, until he tries to stay the night. Spoilers:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Various get-under-your-skin things happen, especially
    the phone rings
    Click to see Spoiler:
    and the voice on the other end shouts surreal and horrifying things like, "Nine! Nine! This is nine! All your friends are dead!"

I booked my room at the Fortcon I hotel at the very last minute, and when I showed up and received the key to 1408 I literally said, "Oh hell no!" at the front desk. I refused to change rooms, though, based on a Stephen King story, but every time I saw the "message waiting" light on the phone in the room, I had a chill and thought, "That just better the hell be room service or something."
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    It's nice to see this thread revived.
    I loved your story...how freakin' is that???!!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

how about gerard's game into a movie hahahahaha

they could never make that book into a movie, at least not a popular one haha

when i was younger i really liked stephen king, but i think he has totally gone downhill, dreamcatcher, what the heck was that crap

my favorite king book is IT, i thought the movie was decent too, but yeah the ending, lame

i like misery, i thought it was made into a well done movie, but, you know there were things in the book they could not have possibly shown in the movie lol

i think i heard, they are gonna remake christine???? dont quote me on it though

as a kid pet semetary scared the living daylights out of me, boy that was one scary movie, i really should finish the book, started reading it, never finished it, the book is so scary too

i think king has an interesting imagination, but i dont think he's really THAT great of writer, he goes into way too much detail its hard to stay interested sometimes, i think dean koontz at least doesnt go into to that dragged out long pointless detail king does

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I agree with Stargazer that Bag of Bones should be turned into a film.
    Agreed; Bag of Bones is one of my all-time favourite King novels. Aaand, it looks like we just might get lucky: according to imdb, a movie version of Bag of Bones is currently in production. www.stephenking.com also mentions a movie in the making. No details about director or actors though. Any suggestions? I think Bill Pullman could be a good choice for the character of Mike. In any case, it has to be someone with a likeable "good guy" vibe.

Some other interesting tidbits about other upcoming King movie projects, again courtesy of http://www.stephenking.com/pages/faq/future.php:

"The Talisman : Currently in pre-production. This movie is slated for theatrical release in 2005, but no date has been set."

"Desperation : Currently in post-production. Desperation is now being produced as a feature movie (not a miniseries) for ABC (no air date yet). Mick Garris, whose previous Stephen King projects include Riding the Bullet, The Stand, The Shining, Quicksilver Highway [Chattery Teeth], and Sleepwalkers, wrote the screenplay and is directing this production. Cast members include:
    ∑ Ron Perlman as Collie Entragian
    ∑ Tom Skerritt as Johnny Marinville
    ∑ Steven Weber as Steve Ames
    ∑ Matt Frewer as Ralph Carver
    ∑ Annabeth Gish as Mary Jackson
    ∑ Henry Thomas as Peter Jackson
    ∑ Charles Durning as Tom Billingsley"

Edited to add: Apparently, Desperation will be aired on ABC in May 2006.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Some of Stephen's books make good movies, my favorites are:

Stand by Me
    Shawshant Redemption
    Misery
    The Shining
    Carrie

I enjoyed The Green Mile okay but some left me wondering
    and wishing I hadn't seen it:

Pet Sematary
    Hearts of Atlantis
    It
    Rose Red
    Dreamcatcher
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by MICHEY
    Some of Stephen's books make good movies, my favorites are:

Stand by Me
    Shawshant Redemption
    Misery
    The Shining
    Carrie
    Except for Carrie (which, admittedly, I have never seen in its entirety), I enjoyed these, as well.

but some left me wondering and wishing I hadn't seen it: Hearts of Atlantis
    HoA was a strong tie-in to the much longer Dark Tower series, and frankly, I was wondering how they were going to pull off HoA without referencing the Dark Tower (which would have been impossible to explain in a two-hour movie).

Answer: It was simply butchered and given a completely hokey premise.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Premium Member
    Count me in on the Bag of Bones movie. I loved that one. I started reading Desperation a couple of years ago, looks like I had better get busy if I want to finish it before the movie. I usually end up being disappointed in the movies, they are never as good as the books.

Being an avid Stephen King fan, I've read every thing he wrote, I must admit, most of the movies were complete dissapointments. I did think the TV movies...The Stand, It, and Salems Lot were good. But on tv, you can make them longer and can include more of the book in those movies.

I did like the movies Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, but still they let me down. If you are an avid reader, as I am, any movie made from a book, just isn't going to cut it. Especially, going from a book to a two hour movie.

I hope they never try to turn the Dark Towers series into movies. It won't work!!

Snickers, Dean Koontz is my second favorite after Stephen. But they've butchered his movies also. My favorite was Watchers, and they slaughtered the book with that movie!!!

Premium Member
    I do love how Stephen King always makes a cameo appearance in the movies. Reminds me of Hitchcock.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast