+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King/Wolves of the Calla

Stephen King/Wolves of the Calla

Okay, since we've been talking in another SK thread about this, here goes with a new thread.
    Since "Wolves of the Calla" is a new book and many fans haven't had a chance to read it yet, someone suggested we include in our posts what chapter we're on, so those who don't want anything spoiled for them will know not to read them. So I guess put the chapter in the subject line when you're posting.
    I just got the book from the library last night and am maybe 170 pages into it, but I don't remember the chapter. I could tell you what was going on when I finally got so sleepy I had to put it down, but then that could be a spoiler!
    But to start with we could discuss the Dark Tower series in general. I was always hot/cold on it; I didn't really like the Gunslinger or Wizard and Glass so much, but I really got into the two middle books. So far I am really enjoying "Wolves of the Calla". I love how King weaves so much from his other novels into this series, it somehow makes it feel as if this fantasy world he's creating is more real. It's also kind of like a reward for being a fan and reading other books not in this series.
    I expect I'll have the book done by next week (I don't have much going on this weekend).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

The Drawing of the Three has always been my favorite of the Tower Books. Wizards and Glass probably my least favorite. I thought the historical data on Roland was an interesting read, and it helped flesh out his somewhat flat character, but it didn't really advance the plot of tale much at all. I read somewhere that King didn't feel in the right frame of mind for writing it, but he decided if he didn't write it at that time, it might never get written. Then the series would have died.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

He wasn't in the mood, huh? It showed. Yeah, Wizard and Glass bored me -- in fact, I skipped around in it and didn't ever wind up reading it through. I read the end, so I'd know where things were when the series picked back up. And I don't think I missed much in the middle.
    The two in the middle -- Drawing of the Three and what was the third one? I think it was the third one that was my favorite -- their journey through Shardik's forest, and Lud, and the mono. Drawing of the Three would have been my second fave of the four. I'm eager now to get done with work (like I'm really working, ha!) and get home and pick Wolves back up!

The third one was The Waste Lands. So far that has been the one with the most action in it. Roland chasing after Jake through Lud was a great scene. I was so mad at the cliff hanger ending that it left a bad taste in my mouth for the book. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time through, when i could just pick up W&G to find out what happened.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Yeah, W&G WAS a letdown after all the action of The Wastelands. I hadn't thought of it that way. Well, you'll be happy to know that Wolves of the Calla picks back up on the action. Are you reading it yet? And have you read Eye of the Dragon? I loved that one. It's only tangentially related to the Dark Tower series (it's got the wizard, Marten or Flagg or whatever name), and it reads almost like a children's fantasy, but it's one of my favorite King books.

I've still got about 150 pages left in W&G before i can pick up Calla. I should finish that tonight. (If the kids go to bed on time)
    I did like Eye of the Dragon. The Tallisman has somewhat of a similar fantasy feel to it as well. Tallisman's sequal The Black House is completely tied to the Dark Tower.
    The Stand is also closely tied to the Tower with Randall Flag, plus they stop in the Stand's Kansas while Roland tells his whole history in W&G

Hmmm, I had not considered the Kansas connection between W&G and The Stand... (and the Wizard of Oz! ) In Wolves I think they're still in Kansas, or just the other side of it... they talk of a plain and then far-off mountains like the Rockies. Interesting how the Dark Tower journey seems to be east-west, just like The Stand and The Talisman. I loved The Talisman and Black House (Black House in particular was like getting a little taste of Dark Tower stuff). I've been trying to get my boyfriend to read them, bought them both for his birthday last year, he's a King fan but for some reason hasn't picked them up. Probably because I'm pushing it, I was the same way when my mother tried to get me to read Jan Karon's Mitford series (and when I finally looked at one I didn't like it much anyway).
    Back to King, I never read Salem's Lot but will have to now, there's a connection to it in Wolves/Calla....

I seem to remember King stating at some point that in all these "Journey" books, they are unknowingly following "The Path of the Beam"

I loved Salem's Lot. Very scary and creepy. Read with lots of lights on

The scope of his imagination amazes me. My mother never could understand why I would want to read such "gross" books... but he's an incredible storyteller. I really don't like much gore but King sucks you into the story (and of course, many of his aren't that gory at all).
    Anyway, more on Wolves of the Calla next week.

Ok, I've finished "Wolves of the Calla"! The only disappointment is that now I'm done and have to wait till next year to see what happens next.
    "Wolves" was quite action-packed and while it didn't do much toward physically advancing the ka-tet along the Beam, it did offer a lot of intruiging hints as to the larger story of that world and its connection with this one. I liked it much better that Wizard and Glass -- it was rather like the two middle books. It definitely kept my attention, even though it's about 700 pages. I think any fan of the series will love this one. And if you haven't already read "Black House", do. Slightly relevant to understanding towards the end.

I'd love to discuss it at more length but don't want to ruin it for anyone...so if anyone wants to talk more about it, just say so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast