+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King/Wolves of the Calla

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it Lucy, I'm about 100 pages in and it does seem to be moving nicely. At least with the end of this one, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. SK promises the next one early 2004 and the Tower conclusion end 2004. so in a year we will know how it all comes out.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

So, MHayes, I'm guessing you finished it by now. What did you think?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I liked it.
    For any one who hasn't read it yet who might be browsing.
    *Spoilers Galore*
    DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENíT READ THE BOOK!

[Ramble]
    I thought the town was an interesting diversion, but it didn't really advance the plot of the whole series at all. I knew the wolves were robots almost immediately. I am a bit bothered by the fact that these robots (including the giant bear) are supposed to be these impervious warrior robots, but their creators put ultra sensitive, easy to knock out radar dishes on their heads so they could be killed easily. It seems like a cop out.
    That being said (and nitpicked), I thought the calla part of the story was very interesting.
    I enjoy seeing Roland take on some of the political tasks that a Gunslinger used to have to do.
    The townsfolk characters were diverse and well done. The whole throwing dishes part was fun, and I was glad to see others involved instead of the standard, Rolland in the middle of town shooting and reloading, shooting and reloading, ok everyone else is dead.
    Allowing Jake to have time as a kid really advanced his character along. He didnít have many dimensions until this point except as a liability to the ka-tet.
    The tie in with Callahan was interesting. I really like Salemís Lot, but once again did his flashbacks to his post Salemís Lot life really advance the plot at all, probably not, but it was still fun.
    The New York trips were the only part that really moved the plot of the series along at all. I really like how it is starting to come together.
    Dellaís pregnancy was an interesting twist, and I canít wait to see what happens next!

All in all a good read. It didnít take us much further along the path of the beam to the dark tower, but I was very entertained. I think The Drawing of the Three is still my favorite of the series, but this isn't far behind. I also won't really know until I read it again, and that won't happen until Song Of Susannah this summer, and then itís all 6 books in a row again.
    [/Ramble]
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MHayes62
    I liked it.
    For any one who hasn't read it yet who might be browsing.
    *Spoilers Galore*
    DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENíT READ THE BOOK!

[Ramble]
    I thought the town was an interesting diversion, but it didn't really advance the plot of the whole series at all. I knew the wolves were robots almost immediately. I am a bit bothered by the fact that these robots (including the giant bear) are supposed to be these impervious warrior robots, but their creators put ultra sensitive, easy to knock out radar dishes on their heads so they could be killed easily. It seems like a cop out.
    At first I thought the wolves must be some real organic sort of creatures -- I think it was when people were hinting about what was under the mask. I hope SK explains what people brought these robots to that world; maybe it's something simple that I'm missing, but the robots seem so much more sophisticated than 1990's earth could create, and then there are other things that suggest previous links with our world (like the Nazi plane) that I personally need an explanation of who introduced the robots and for what purpose. Maybe it's just me being obtuse; I'm sure it's got to do with the idea of many worlds co-existing at once, but still, spell it out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MHayes
    That being said (and nitpicked), I thought the calla part of the story was very interesting.
    I enjoy seeing Roland take on some of the political tasks that a Gunslinger used to have to do.
    The townsfolk characters were diverse and well done. The whole throwing dishes part was fun, and I was glad to see others involved instead of the standard, Rolland in the middle of town shooting and reloading, shooting and reloading, ok everyone else is dead.
    Allowing Jake to have time as a kid really advanced his character along. He didnít have many dimensions until this point except as a liability to the ka-tet.
    The tie in with Callahan was interesting. I really like Salemís Lot, but once again did his flashbacks to his post Salemís Lot life really advance the plot at all, probably not, but it was still fun.
    The New York trips were the only part that really moved the plot of the series along at all. I really like how it is starting to come together.
    Dellaís pregnancy was an interesting twist, and I canít wait to see what happens next!
    Agreed. I feel like this book's purpose was to flesh out characters, and it did a good job of it. I'm so glad he finished this series, and am really looking forward to the next two! I'm glad you liked this one too.

OK I am strong. I did not read this thread but wanted to let everyone know that I got this for X-mas from my most excellent brother. When I start reading it, I"ll post here..

We look forward to hearing your thoughts!

FORT Regular
    Well I took on the task of rereading the previous 4 books before I started this one and was glad I did...(my memory sucks).

I loved this book. The stories got a little long but I endured. I figured they were robots of some kind when the old guy "whispered" that part to Eddie.

I honestly thought they were going to lock Susanah/Detta in the outhouse when I read they put a lock on it. I figured she was going to have the baby or something bad would happen.

So the Robots looked like Dr. Doom from the Marvel comics. Are we going to find out at the end that this is just a video game or something??? I was in shock when they found the book Salem's lot in the cabinet. Poor Father Callahan...is he real or not?

I am now anxiously waiting for the next 2. I just hope we don't have to wait too long.
    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

Bookaddict, I'm glad you liked it.
    I don't think we're going to get gypped by some "And it was all a dream" crap at the end. King doesn't usually mess with us like that. I really can't wait to see how he ties it all together by the end. Isn't the next book due out this spring or summer?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Bookaddict, I'm glad you liked it.
    I don't think we're going to get gypped by some "And it was all a dream" crap at the end. King doesn't usually mess with us like that. I really can't wait to see how he ties it all together by the end. Isn't the next book due out this spring or summer?

Looks like they are due in August and November 2004. Thank goodness.... I hate long waits.
    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

Finally finished this one. Very good. I also liked the Wizard and Glass...re-read that one about 3 or 4 times. August is right around the corner guys!! Just hang in there!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast