+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nora Roberts fans?

I ramble...

Nora Roberts fans?

Anyone read the relatively new "Key of Light" book? It's the first in a new series of "Key" books. YAY! Another series! I've only been reading NR for a year or so, but my favorites are usually the trilogies, with the exception of "Midnight Bayou" which is on the top of my favorites list.

Anyway, I started it Wednesday night, read a few pages, then got really into it during breaks at work yesterday, stayed up half the night reading it, and finished it this morning. The second is due out next month. I can't wait.
    Jecka
    "If you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by realizing that you are the author and every day you have the opportunity to write a new page." - Mark Houlahan

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jecka
    Anyone read the relatively new "Key of Light" book? It's the first in a new series of "Key" books. YAY! Another series! I've only been reading NR for a year or so, but my favorites are usually the trilogies, with the exception of "Midnight Bayou" which is on the top of my favorites list.

Anyway, I started it Wednesday night, read a few pages, then got really into it during breaks at work yesterday, stayed up half the night reading it, and finished it this morning. The second is due out next month. I can't wait.
    I didn't know she had a new series. I have to go reserve that one now. I like her as J.D. Robb too.
    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

I've read one or two of her books. Can't remember which ones off the top of my head (that's why I hate going to the library - I don't remember which books I've already read!)... Seems they were pretty decent, though. I hate to say this, because it's going to come out wrong, but I'm not a big fan of female authors.

By that, I mean that their writing style and perspective *usually* don't appeal to me. I've found a few exceptions, though.

FORT Fogey
    I like the J.D. Robb series she does.

If you like Nora Roberts, try Catherine Coulter. I found her books to be a lot less formulaic. But she's not as prolific.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I love Nora Roberts too Jecka! and I especially like her writing as JD Robb The Eve Dallas series is stellar.

John I know what you mean about male/female writers. I can't stand to read Clancy for the same reason.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Right now I am reading the Born trilogy.
    Born in Fire
    Born in Ice
    Born in Shame
    They were re-released as an anthology and I only paid $21 for them (3 books @ $10.99/ea makes $21 a savings)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I go through streaks on Nora Roberts. Some of her books and trilogies I love, others feel like she is just going through the motions to kick out another book. I started out loving the series about the Ukrainian family but the last book (which name escapes me about I think it was about a Kate, was just worthless.) The Donovan Legacy started out strong but when you were done your realised she had put the same elements in each book and by the thrid you knew exactly how each scene (including the sex scene) was going to play out. So, I'm not reading her right now, maybe later. She is a great read when I don't want to think or be depressed but at times I'm so disappointed in her.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Oddly enough, I like early Nora Roberts, all of J.D. Robb and maybe a third of new Nora Roberts. I picked up the first two parts of the key trilogy yesterday because I'm bored out of my gourd (foolishly put the Nora/J.D. hardcover on my X-mas list and now can't buy it for myself).

I found the Nora books that try to be thriller/suspense-ish are too wishy washy - I prefer the harder edge of the J.D. books for crime romance stuff. But the fluffy stories and the middle of the road (like the key series, I hope) are still wonderful.

She was sweet enough to personally autograph a copy of Holiday in Death as J.D. for me a couple of years ago. From what little contact I had with her, she really seems like a lovely lady and was very gracious and down to earth. I can't figure out how she finds the time to write as prolifically as she does - she must wear keyboards out by the month.

Oh, nlmcp - I agree about that Ukrainian series. It was horrible and formulaic. I won't go near her Silhouette-length romance books anymore because I haven't read one in years that was up to her normal standards. I think it was last year around this time (or maybe the year before, they all run together) where there must have been four of those "collection" books of the Donovans and the Ukrainian family out. I accidentally bought one of the Donovan ones.

Weighing back in on the Key series..

I just finished the first two, and they're actually pretty good. The first is a little tedious in places because it explains the whole mythology of the quests, but that was my only minor complaint. There aren't a ton of sex scenes (less than 5, I think) and the majority of the relationship-building is between the three women, but there's still a nice, mostly realistic modern romance happening. What was very nice to read were the female bonding scenes - Nora did a great job nailing those.

The second book was more exciting plot-wise but a little less interesting to read because after the first book, it took me all of ten seconds to figure out the answer to clue given for the quest this time. The female character is completely Eve Dallas, plus 30 lbs., longer, darker and better hair and a safer job. The guy is totally Roarke, plus a couple of inches in height, less a couple of inches of hair and minus the Irish. Especially reading the sex scenes, if I wasn't paying close attention, it felt like I was reading one of the "Death" books.

The third quest is being built up as the biggest and most difficult, but since two books into it, I'm not particularly liking the female or male characters that will be in it, I'm hoping the story will make up for it. I've already figured out the clue for the third quest (not that that's a feat, it's pitifully easy) which is sort of annoying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast