+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book Club: Janet Evanovich, To The Nines

Book Club: Janet Evanovich, To The Nines

It has been a couple of months since I read this, (Read it when it first came out) but I loved it. It isn't as good as the first book, but it is still entertaining. I can't wait for 10.

My favorite scene would be the scene in Las Vegas with Stephanie and Lula at a Tom Jones impersonator's concert.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I enjoyed the book, I suppose, but really, J.E. is just getting to predictable. She's still funny though.

WOuldn't you just once like to have a mystery that isn't about a perverse male psychopath who becomes obsessed and attracted by Stephanie Plum in the course of the novel?

How about a FEMALE antagonist?

Anyway, that said, I will read number ten as soon as it comes out...
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

FORT Regular
    I love how her books make me laugh out loud when I read them though.
    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

I started a thread about Janet's books a little while ago and nobody seemed to care... Hope you have better luck.

Spegs has a good point about the predictability...and I've only read three of them. Bookaddict has a good point as well, though. There are plenty of laughs, and they add greatly to the appeal of the series. I think of the series as light-hearted reading, which can get tiresome occasionally.

For anyone interested, I just got Janet's newsletter in the mail yesterday and the contest winner for the next book's title is "Ten Big Ones." It beat out TENacity and another TENsomething title.

Yep, they're predictable, but Grandma Mazur, Lula and the battle with Stephanie's big Jersey hair all crack me up (and in the case of Grandma's discussion of anal sex in one of the earlier books, literally had me racing to the bathroom to avoid an accident). Add in toe-curling Ranger and smokin' Morelli and I'm not minding the repetitive storylines.

They're great for diversion, as are Joan Hess's Maggody series.

A big to pink_princess.

Some of the storylines get a little old but they're absolutely hilarious and great for a quick, entertaining read. I can't get enough of this series.

FORT Newbie
    I love the Stephanie Plum series, I've read them all and I look forward to 12.
    They can be predictable but they are so damn fun that I really don't care, I'm always laughing and everyone in the series is a blast!! Plus the whole Ranger/Morelli/Steph thing is enough to drive you up the wall! I can't wait to find out what happens next Anyone know of any other series that's like the Plum series? I'd love to find more books like these.

WR

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
    I love the Stephanie Plum series, I've read them all and I look forward to 12.
    They can be predictable but they are so damn fun that I really don't care, I'm always laughing and everyone in the series is a blast!! Plus the whole Ranger/Morelli/Steph thing is enough to drive you up the wall! I can't wait to find out what happens next Anyone know of any other series that's like the Plum series? I'd love to find more books like these.

WR
    I find the whole Ranger/Morelli thing so annoying. I've found the last few books rather boring, but I'm sure I'll end up buying the next one when it comes out this summer.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I've never read anything by Janet Evanovich. Perhaps I should give it a go? I could use something light and entertaining in between study breaks.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I've never read anything by Janet Evanovich. Perhaps I should give it a go? I could use something light and entertaining in between study breaks.
    Read the first one (first is best, as usual). It's called One for the Money. I wouldn't recommend some of the later ones, especially if you're new to the series. One for the Money is pretty good light reading.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast