+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The True Crime Genre

On Hiatus

The True Crime Genre

I probably shouldn't admit to this, but the true crime genre has really captured my interest in the last few years. So I'm starting this thread with the hopes that I'm not alone...

I've read tons of 'em...and would be interested to know if anyone else has suggestions of good, well written books in this area.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Not sure if this quite fits, but The Executioners Song was a great book. It makes Gary Gilmore seem like a real person as opposed to a monster. (I think the fact that it takes place in Utah and I recognizes places helps.)
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I enjoy reading true crime myself. The truth is always more stanger/interesting/more gory than fiction. I particularly like serial killer and mafia/organized crime.

Two interesting ones I've read that are a little different than just accounts of killing sprees and crimes are The Last Victim by Jason Moss and Mind Hunter by John Douglas.

The last victim is an account of a college student who corresponded with various serial murderers in prison. He is eventually befriended by John Wayne Gacy, goes to visit him in Prison where Gacy attacks him.

Mind Hunter is by John Douglas who pioneered crininal profiling for the FBI.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Rab
    I don't read true crimes I only go for the photos most have inside. Murder and mystery interests me in strange reasons lol.

I'm a true crime freak. It's so morbidly fascinating. In another thread I said that I often have to bring a 'decoy' book with me because I'm so embarrassed.

Helter Skelter is a must read - especially with a movie remake in the works.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

You guys shouldn't be embarrassed about what you read! I love true crime! Helter Skelter had to be one of the best books ever. Have any of you read Ann Rule's books? I've read most of them, she's fantastic.

My 16 year old daughter can't get enough of true crime, John Walsh is her hero. Maybe we're just a morbid family!

I read Helter Skelter several years ago and it was really good. I know that we should be like Catlover says but I'm like Miss F. Anytime I'm reading something like that, I usually have a decoy book too.

Catlover!!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I read Helter Skelter a looooong time ago. I think it's on my bookshelf. I should read it again.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlover
    You guys shouldn't be embarrassed about what you read! I love true crime! Helter Skelter had to be one of the best books ever. Have any of you read Ann Rule's books? I've read most of them, she's fantastic.

My 16 year old daughter can't get enough of true crime, John Walsh is her hero. Maybe we're just a morbid family!
    LOL I doubt you're all morbid. I haven't read any true crime in a while, but Ann Rule is good and you mentioned Helter Skelter makes me want to go through my books and read it again. Actually I do that whenever I don't have anything from the library.

The last true crime I read was Redrum.... do you remember that story about about Guy Paul Morin and the little girl that wa murdered Christine Jessop....
    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus
    I've read Ann Rule. The only truely great book she has written, IMHO, is "The Stranger Beside Me", her book about Ted Bundy. She knew Ted Bundy as a close friend. I recommend it. Are there any other classics in the genre that you would recommend?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast