+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The True Crime Genre

Not sure if this actually qualifies as a true crime story, but has anyone read the book A Child Called It? It is the true story of the boy being severely abused by his mom. The boy (now an adult) actually writes this book. I can't remember his full name ~ Steven ????. There are now 3 books to his story. I have only read the first one. It will make you cry, scream and so mad that you wish you could've been there to strangle his mom.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I've heard of it, but I haven't read it. Let us know what you think.

BTW, the best true crime book I've read recently is "Son of a Grifter," written by the normal son of Sante Kimes, a con woman who, along with another son, killed a rich woman in New York for her apartment.
    She's just a fascinating character study.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Teraisa1

Is it true crime?

I consider A Child Called It true crime. Also, there was a movie about Sante Kimes and her son on TV, cannot remember the title, but the woman from All in the Family (Edith Bunker), plays the woman the two grifters rented a room from and more. Yuch. Part of the book takes place where I live, but I honestly don't remember it. The book was great, though. What are your thoughts? The mom had everything, what is her problem?!?! Sheesh. LOL

Teraisa

Yes, I just finished 2 of his books. His name is Dave....can't remember the last name.

Jack Olson has written several excellent true crime books.

Ann Rule IMO only had 1 good book-The Stranger Beside Me.

Dave Pelzer is the author of A Child Called It. I've read all his books - Dave is a pretty amazing person, considering his upbringing.

A friend and I were staying in a hotel in Austin for a conference several months ago. She was reading and I was drifting off to sleep. I heard her crying and cussing. I opened one eye and looked at her. She was waving her fist in the air. She said "Have you read about this guy?" and showed me A Child Called It. She was so upset that she had to put the book down. The next morning she told me she could not sleep at all for thinking about it.
    I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...

True Crime

So happy to have found this thread!!! Love love love true crime! I've been reading it for years and have trouble finding something new at the book store. You guys have given me something to look for at Amazon.

One of my all-time favs that I didn't see mentioned was, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (sp?). You should be able to find it at the library. I think it was the first one I read that got me going in this genre. Another oldie but goodie is, The Onion Field by Joeseph Wambaugh (sp?).

I too loved both of those books donnababe!

JR.
    I'm about halfway through Invisible Darkness, I can't believe how twisted these two are. It's disturbing and fascinating at the same time, I can't put it down.

JR, Invisible Darkness is, in my opinion, the best of the three Bernardo/Homolka books. I have them all, and one that ID's author, Stephen Williams, did on Karla alone. That one I got thanks to Ajane in Canada, since it's hard to find.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    I'm about halfway through Invisible Darkness, I can't believe how twisted these two are. It's disturbing and fascinating at the same time, I can't put it down.
    And she'll be a free woman in a couple of months.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread