+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The True Crime Genre

The most detailed one that I own is Stephen Williams Invisible Darkness, which Ajane mentioned earlier. I don't think the author got really in depth with Karla til "Pact".
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

You'll get your turn, Miss Texie.

Karla's pathology is different from her ex-husband's. This particular book examines how the Canadian legal system has conducted her punishment/rehabilitation. Consider that a life sentence in Canada is actually 25 years, and a full sentence is rarely served. Paul Bernardo has been declared a dangerous offender. Dangerous offenders can be imprisoned indefinitely, which in Bernardo's case will likely be for the remainder of his life. Karla Homolka will be released in July 2005 as per the terms of her plea bargain, come hell or high water. Interestingly enough, the vast majority of the experts who have examined her since her incarceration in 1995 deem her a low risk to re-offend. She appears to be a curious mix of naivete and master manipulator, and part of what makes this particular book fascinating is to find out who is manipulating who - Karla or the author, Stephen Williams.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Karla wasn't dangerous til she met Paul...he was her fuse. Without him, we can only hope she doesn't commit any more crimes.

I read all the books on Bernardo/Hamolka and this case still has me guessing as to which one actually killed the girls. In one of the books it pointed out that Bernardo never killed anyone until he was with Hamolka.

As for Karla, I don't buy her statements about being in an abusive relationship that much because there were numerous times when she was at work, etc that she could have phoned the police and didn't and to let Paul rape her own sister and allow it to just happen like she did. In my opinion she is as bad as he was.

Karla was the one that obtained halcyion to drug the girls with, before she came into his life, he raped alot of women but never killed any of them.

They should both be in jail for life and is scary to think she will be out in less then a year? I can see her hooking up with someone again like Bernardo but that's just MHO

I'm almost positive Paul committed the actual killings of both Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffey. Karla wasn't much bigger than either girl; it would have been difficult to overpower them. She played a role in their deaths, for sure, but I really think Paul just progressed from violent rapist to eventual killer.
    Last edited by Texicana; 10-30-2004 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I'm almost positive Paul committed the actual killings of both Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffey. Karla wasn't much bigger than either girl; it would have been difficult to overpower them. She played a role in their deaths, for sure, but I really think Paul just progressed from violent rapist to eventual killer.

I don't know why it bothers me so much as to which one killed the girls but it does. I think Karla should stay in prison. I toss between the idea that Paul killed them and I sometimes think it was Karla as Paul never killed before. In one of the books it did say it looked like small knee prints in the back of one of the girls and if Kristen and Leslie had been drugged and weak then Karla very easily could have killed them. I guess it is one thing we will never know. I just know that for some reason this case really really bothered me when it happened mostly because they did look like the perfect beautiful couple and happy on their wedding day...just goes to show how looks can be deceiving.

The other case that bothers me here in Ontario is the one of Linda Shaw who's killer/killers have never been caught. She was taken from the side of a major highway not far from where I live. She was on her way back to University after spending Easter Weekend with her parents. Her body was found burned and there was speculation that Paul Bernardo had done this crime also but I think they did rule him out. Still it is a scary thought to stop and think of how many murderers are still free in this world

Quote Originally Posted by shyra
    They should both be in jail for life and is scary to think she will be out in less then a year? I can see her hooking up with someone again like Bernardo but that's just MHO
    Yeah, I don't really see Karla doing that type of stuff all on her own, but every sociopath in the country will be trying to hook up with her the minute she steps out of prison next summer. So who knows.

As far as the actual killings, I think they were definitely a joint effort, and her sentence wasn't nearly long enough. In the case of Kristen French, Paul wanted to keep her around longer - it was Karla who insisted that she be killed that particular weekend. All I can hope is that she has an absolutely miserable life when her jail term is up. Because up till now she's been partying hearty in one of our "Club Fed" institutions. :rolleyes
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

This probably belongs in the Movies thread, but since there's a pretty limited number of us that are interested in the Bernardo/Homolka case, I thought I'd post this here. A movie about the murders has been made (Laura Prepon as Karla? ) and the uproar is already starting here in Canada. I first heard about this story on CTV Newsnet (a Canadian version of CNN Headline News). Although this newspaper story doesn't mention it, apparently a Canadian distributor has not yet been found, so any Canadians that want to see the theatrical release may be out of luck. Deja vu. I'm pretty curious about what the movie is going to portray, on a couple of different levels - for instance, is Karla going to be portrayed as the psycho, sex-crazed murderess or the battered, frightened wife? Even more important, since Stephen Williams' book is the only one that details what is shown on the infamous videotapes (which were NOT released to the public) are we going to be shown a blow-by-blow of the actual crimes? The comment about materials *in the public domain* being used to write the screenplay has me wondering.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Winnip...06/702577.html
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Thanks for the info, Ajay!

I feel bad for the victims' families, but movies are made about nearly everything that is newsworthy these days. You can't really tell people what they can or can't make a movie about.

That being said, I have absolutely no desire to see it. I already found out all I could about this case through newspaper articles and books. This movie will contain no new info, as a matter of fact, it will probably contain erroneous material. Directors always take "poetic license" with reality-based stories. Besides, I like Laura Prepon and would never be able to watch her in anything again.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread