+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The True Crime Genre

I am reading End Of A Dream by Ann Rule...I have read it before and I don't know what it is about this story but I keep reading it over and over again over the years. I was glad to see that Kevin Meyers did go on to be an artist and has sold wonderful wonderful paintings. It just seems such a shame that Scott Surlock could have been anything he wanted, he had it all or seemed that way and he chose to rob banks instead.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    That woman is f****d (Diane Downs, not Oprah ). I read the book once and was so incensed I couldn't stand to read it again. Wouldn't mind seeing the Oprah interview, though.

Not sure if you can still order transcripts through the Oprah show. But try. It's good stuff. Diane was via satellite from jail. Ann Rule was there as well... and she was yelling at Ann, saying she got facts wrong, etc. Sorry Diane, but your daughter named you as the shooter - how much more guilty can you get?!

But Diane, to this day, is still proclaiming her innocence. The two surviving children were adopted by the D.A. and are both doing well, healthwise and emotionally (from the last update I saw on them).

I've loved reading true crime stories for years. As someone else here said, real life drama is so much more fascinating that fiction. Maybe part of that truism is because when a fiction book ends, it ends. If it's a movie, when it ends, it ends. With true crime, we can still follow the story and research it more via the library or internet if we want. We have more information available to us to fill out the characters and story, rather than just a 2-dimensional fictional story.

There really are some great true crime writers out there. And there are some who I feel should be spanked for promising "never before revealed" or "never before published photos" and things like that, and yet when you read their books, those never before photos are just photos of some DA's assistant or something that makes you realize the reason they weren't published before was because they were basically unimportant, lol.

One of my favorite books ever was The Search For The Green River Killer by Carlton Smith. Ann Rule's book on the Green River killer was very disappointing. And it's fascinating now to see the Green River story coming to a conclusion after so many years.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    One of my favorite books ever was The Search For The Green River Killer by Carlton Smith. Ann Rule's book on the Green River killer was very disappointing. And it's fascinating now to see the Green River story coming to a conclusion after so many years.
    Carlton Smith has written some other good books too. I was glad to see they finally caught the Green River killer. He's just so ordinary looking - I never would have thought he'd be a killer just by looking at his picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina1116
    Not sure if you can still order transcripts through the Oprah show. But try. It's good stuff. Diane was via satellite from jail. Ann Rule was there as well... and she was yelling at Ann, saying she got facts wrong, etc. Sorry Diane, but your daughter named you as the shooter - how much more guilty can you get?!
    I totally remember seeing that show! It was in the late 1980s. I was making clam chowder for dinner. Good times.

Anyway, I read a review of Ann Rule's new book on the Green River killer. Wince. The reviewer hated it. Apparently the narrative got weighed down by structural problems.
    There were so many victims that Rule couldn't rely on her usual formula, which is to write from the victims' perspective with lots of detail and intimacy. Plus the women were all from similar backgrounds, so there was a sameness to their stories.
    On top of that, even though Ridgway is a ghastly criminal, he has a dull personality; he's a gray spot on a gray wall.
    Exploring complex, contradictory personalities like Bundy or Downs was a criteria for Rule. She once said she'd never write about Jeffrey Dahmer because, although his crimes were heinous and gruesome, he wasn't interesting.
    I think what happened here was that she started writing the book before they caught the killer.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I have finally got around to getting Karla - Pact With The Devil, by Stephen Williams, author of Invisible Darkness (which detailed the Homolka/Bernardo case). I'm only a few chapters in, but to those of you interested in this book (we mentioned it a couple of pages back) be warned, there is a lot of legal minutiae about sentencing practices and such, so if you're looking for lots of salacious details about the rapes and murders that this couple committed, stick with Invisible Darkness.

Although it is VERY well-written - better than Darkness, IMO - Williams apparently made good use of his thesaurus, so you might want to grab a dictionary while you read. A little off-putting is his patting himself on the back for getting Karla to correspond with him, and for obtaining her early psychiatric reports from her (since-deceased) psychiatrist. If you can get past that, and if you are interested in the legal aspects of this case, it's a great read.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Oh Ajane, I'm glad you got a copy of it
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I read one book about the Homolka/Bernardo case. Gosh, they were sooo bizarre! He is obviously a sociopath, but what would prompt her to go along with such awful crimes?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Karla's just as unhinged as Paul, Candor

I have three books on the case; it's one that intrigues me.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Yeah, that fact that she would agree to drug her own little sister so her husband could .... ugh. It boggles the mind. Did any of these books have a psychological profile or diagnosis of her?

+ Reply to Thread