+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The True Crime Genre

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    I enjoy reading true crime myself. The truth is always more stanger/interesting/more gory than fiction. I particularly like serial killer and mafia/organized crime.

Two interesting ones I've read that are a little different than just accounts of killing sprees and crimes are The Last Victim by Jason Moss and Mind Hunter by John Douglas.

The last victim is an account of a college student who corresponded with various serial murderers in prison. He is eventually befriended by John Wayne Gacy, goes to visit him in Prison where Gacy attacks him.

Mind Hunter is by John Douglas who pioneered crininal profiling for the FBI.
    I just love John Douglas' books. I have: Mind Hunter, Obsession, Journey Into Darkness, The Cases That Haunt Us, and The Anatomy Of Motive.

I bought Jason Moss' The Last Victim quite awhile ago, but never read it. I'll put that on my 'To Do' list.

Living in Ontario, I got very caught up in the Paul Bernardo/Karla Homolka case, so I've read a few books on that as well. Lethal Marriage, Deadly Innocence, Invisible Darkness and Karla's Web. Chilling stuff.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

There's another book about Homolka, Qboots - "Pact With The Devil", written by Stephen Williams, who also wrote Invisible Darkness. I will be off to the mall shortly to buy that one. Interestingly (for us Canuks) I noticed McNally Robinson doesn't even have it in their catalogue.

I'm reading The Blood of Innocents ( Texie) about the West Memphis 3 murders. I'm up to the Echols/Baldwin trial and I'm still not completely convinced of their innocence (and kind of turned off by the website that supports them) but I'm interested enough to want to read more and see the documentaries.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ajay, I still believe those kids were railroaded for being gothy little freaks

I'm going to buy the other book that was written after the trials.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

True Crime Addict

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who hungers for these books.

I've read quite a bit of these types of books. My most recent conquest was a book about the disappearance of Elizabeth Bain and the conviction of Robert Baltovich (No Claim To Mercy - Derek Finkle). This is probably one of the worst miscarriages of Justice in Canada.

I'm looking for ideas on what to read next. The more gory the better. (I know, I know... I'm sick... what can I say)

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Take care all.
    Last edited by CapitalsGem; 08-25-2004 at 12:09 AM.

Welcome to the FORT CapitalsGem! (From a fellow Canuck.)

AJane: "Pact With the Devil" is on my "to buy" list.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Ajay, I still believe those kids were railroaded for being gothy little freaks
    I tend to agree that something was amiss with that case in West Memphis. (And the creepy step-father of one of the murder boys just left me cold.) I never read the book I only saw the HBO specials they did on the case. But its a fine example of what can happen when you choose to be different than the local rednecks. Plus anytime I hear "devil worshipping" as the reason it all happen... it makes me realize how dense some people can be... I still think the creepy step-father did it.

Teraisa1
    The more gory the better. (I know, I know... I'm sick... what can I say)
    What type of story do you want to read? For domestic violence and gore, LOL, you can't beat Life With Billy (by Valle?), it's incredulous. No, Daddy, Don't (Irene Pence), is another good one--it's atrocious.

Oh some really good ones are the religious cult fanatic's, like Rod Colvin's Evil Harvest: The True Story of Cult Murder in the Heartland.

Let me know if you need more.

Teraisa

I have read all of Ann Rules books, alot of true crime books but can't remember half of them? lol I too am from Ontario Canada and read all the books on Karla Hamolka/Paul Bernado and can't believe she will be out of jail in July 2005! I also read one book about Darlie Routier...Hush Little Babies. She claims that an intruder came through the window and stabber two of her sons to death while her husband and infant son were asleep upstairs. She is on death row now and I really am divided about if she is guilty or innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by shyra
    I have read all of Ann Rules books, alot of true crime books but can't remember half of them? lol I too am from Ontario Canada and read all the books on Karla Hamolka/Paul Bernado and can't believe she will be out of jail in July 2005! I also read one book about Darlie Routier...Hush Little Babies. She claims that an intruder came through the window and stabber two of her sons to death while her husband and infant son were asleep upstairs. She is on death row now and I really am divided about if she is guilty or innocent.
    I used to read the genre but gave it up for fictional mysteries. I do still read Ann Rule on occasion, when someone gives me one of her books. And it's not that I don't like true crime, it's just after awhile the heinousness of the whole thing just really depresses me.

Darlie Routier was from Rowlett, Texas, I believe, which is about 60 miles from where I live. She has appealed her sentence many times. I just personally find it unbelievable that a complete stranger would come in through the window to kill two innocent babies. It just doesn't make sense. Lately I think she's been trying to point the finger at their father; don't know how successful that attempt will be.

She is trying to point her finger at Darren? I thought he stood behind her 100% that she couldn't have down this to her two kids. I thought she was the one who killed the boys also but then I look at her pictures of all her bruising and cuts and wonder?

+ Reply to Thread