+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    I remember our 5th grade class (way, way back in the '70's) reading a book called The Land of Og or something like that. Has anyone else heard of it? I'd like to find a copy for my kids, but I'm not even sure that's the title.
    The book is called “The Secret World of Og”, written by Pierre Berton. I loved that book, too!

This is a wonderful thread! Some of my favourite books have been mentioned ... I love everything by Roald Dahl, E.B. White, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Beverly Cleary, Shel Silverstein (I love The Giving Tree too, Jewelsy )... I love the Frog and Toad books (and recently bought some to read to my nephew). I read every Nancy Drew mystery and loved Grimm's Fairytales and Hans Christian Andersen. I absolutely love the Chronicles of Narnia and recently read the whole series again (I think I enjoyed them even more as an adult!). I loved the Amelia Bedelia books, the Borrowers, and the Matthew Looney books by Jerome Beatty, Jr.

Another cute book is “Socks for Supper” by Jack Kent. I read “The Chocolate Touch” by Patrick Skene Catling to my younger brothers and sisters, which they loved. And Sesame Street’s “The Monster at the End of This Book” is a classic in our house - my nephew has me read it over and over and over and over again…. :rolleyes

I think my all-time favourite children’s book has to be the Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams. I love the beautiful story as much now as I did when I was a child.

Add me to the list of those who love The Chronicles of Narnia and the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. My other favorites growing up were the Oz books by L. Frank Baum. I've practically memorized them by now.

I also love,

Anything by Dr. Seuss
    The Secret Garden
    The Anne of Green Gables series
    The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and it's sequel
    The Harry Potter books
    The Pokey Little Puppy
    The Hobbit
    Peter Pan
    A Christmas Carol
    Rip Van Winkle
    Alice in Wonderland

Thanks for the topic. Time for a trip to the library and memory lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Harold
    Add me to the list of those who love The Chronicles of Narnia and the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. My other favorites growing up were the Oz books by L. Frank Baum. I've practically memorized them by now.

I also love,

Anything by Dr. Seuss
    The Secret Garden
    The Anne of Green Gables series
    The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and it's sequel
    The Harry Potter books
    The Pokey Little Puppy
    The Hobbit
    Peter Pan
    A Christmas Carol
    Rip Van Winkle
    Alice in Wonderland

Thanks for the topic. Time for a trip to the library and memory lane!
    I loved the Poky Little Puppy, too - I read it to my niece so much that she practically memorized it. I also love the Oz books and Alice in Wonderland (my grandma gave me her copy of it when I was little - I still have it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aptly_Named
    I loved the Poky Little Puppy, too - I read it to my niece so much that she practically memorized it. I also love the Oz books and Alice in Wonderland (my grandma gave me her copy of it when I was little - I still have it!)
    I have a couple of hundred books from my Grandmother and Great Grandmother. Including one called, "Talks With Girls" that was published in 1846. It's all about how a young lady should behave. It's a HOOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Aptly_Named
    The book is called “The Secret World of Og”, written by Pierre Berton. I loved that book, too!
    Aptly Named, thank you so much! *runs to Amazon web site*
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    Aptly Named, thank you so much! *runs to Amazon web site*
    You're absolutely welcome averagejane! Thanks for reminding me of it!

FORT Fan
    You have all covered my favourites from my own childhood so I won't list them all.

One of my favourites now that I have kids is, "Yuck, A Love Story" or anything by Robert Muncsh. (especially, "I'll Love You Forever")

This thread rocks!

Almost all of my fond childhood memories involve reading, and hearing these names mentioned again: The BFG, Matilda, Charlotte's Web, Little House on the Prairie, everything by Dr. Seuss... is making me so nostalgic!

I have to say that my top honors goes to Le Petit Prince. And Alice in Wonderland. I don't even consider either of them strictly for children, really. Actually, I could read all the books mentioned here again and would still enjoy them.

Which reminds me... I find this whole celebrities writing children's books fad insulting. It takes an immense amount of talent to write like Ronald Dahl... genius, even.

FORT Newbie
    I teach 3rd grade and I try to keep abreast of what is new in children's lit. I recommend:

Joey Pigza series (trilogy) by Jack Gantos
    A boy deals with his ADD, his dad's ADD, grandma's ADD. Written narratively.
    The Royal Diaries (several books, various authors)
    Historical fiction series about the young Marie Antoinette, (Queen) Elizabeth, Mary, Queen of Scotts, Cleopatra, etc.
    Artemis Fowl (trilogy) by Eoin Colfer
    13-year-old rich genius invades the fairy world. I'd classify them as adventure, not fantasy.
    Catherine, Called Birdie by Karen Cushman
    A teenage girl in the 13th century. She foils her drunken father's attempts to marry her off, throws the "evil" needlework down the privy, etc.etc. HILARIOUS!

I love so many of the books mentioned and there are so many great books for kids out there.
    One of my favorite authors is Madeline L'Engle (Wrinkle in Time Series, Meet the Austin Series) and I remember reading in one of her non fiction books about what makes children's lit. and she said something along the lines of "children's books are anything a child will read and enjoy.
    I absolutely love Rosemary Wells and the Max books (Max and the Chocolate Chicken, Bunny Cakes, Max's Dragonshirt -- which was a favorite of my students). Also Eric Carle and all his wonderful books -- I don't know which one of his many to mention. Tom DePola is also a favorite author. The Strega Nona books are wonderful.

I also recently read an absolutely delightful story called The Children at Pineapple Place. It is about an "invisable street" that is found by a young boy who has just moved to the Washington DC area. It is wonderful.

I also like the Time Warp Trio by Smith and Szekja (or however you spell it). They are wonderful for boys -- irrevent and gross but that is what third grade boys read.

Also, if you like fantasy and dragons, you might want to pick up Eargon. It's a new epic fantasy book that is very appealing

+ Reply to Thread