+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Another book I really loved was "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" by Barbara Robinson. (Quite apropos for this time of year, eh?)

It's very funny and heartwarming, and it's a great family read-aloud kind of book. In fact, it's become a tradition in my family for this time of year. My 28-year old bro still loves it, so how could it not be cool?
    Last edited by Mantenna; 12-17-2003 at 02:53 AM.

I think I read that book and maybe they did a TV movie based on it.

Okay, I want your opinions.

A month or so ago, I was flipping through the channels and I saw the "Flowers in the Attic" movie. Nothing else was on, so I watched it. It sucked. Anyway, I read that entire series of books when I was like 11 or 12. I remember that they dealt with pretty adult topics, but I couldn't remember many details. So I went and ordered the entire series. Wow. Holy crap. Rape, generations of incest, physical and emotional abuse. Horrible stuff.

So why did I read them as a kid? That's what I'm wondering - were they supposed to be kid's books? When I was reading them, despite the adult themes, the writing was very poor. The style seemed more suited to kids than to adults. Does anyone else remember if they were marketed as children's books? I'm not a prude by anyone's standards, but looking back on it, I don't think I'd let my 11 year old read 'em. If I had an 11 year old. You know what I mean.

I read those as a teenager, Amanda. I do think they were marketed to the young adult -- or whatever -- age group, and I'm pretty sure I got them from the youth section of my library. Looking back, had my mother known what was in them, I doubt I'd have been allowed near them.
    (and, looking back, I can't remember what I saw in them; you're right about the poor writing and the incest. )
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Just found this thread. Very nostalgic. In addition to what has already been listed, I read a series when I was about 7 or 8 called "The Boxcar Children." I absolutely loved these books. I think the author's name is Gertrude Warner. It was about 4 children who set up a home for themselves in an old boxcar in the woods. Very good series for young children to read.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I read that; I enjoyed it a lot. It was cute. Although, my favorite children's book is Rainbow Fish and all of its "sequels."
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Ah!! Realityluver you totally just brought back memories for me! I used to love the Boxcar children. I can't believe I forgot about them. I used to have almost every single one of those books, until one day I decided to donate them to some sort of charity book drive for the literary benefit of underpriveleged children. *sigh* I should read one of those again, just for fun some time!

This thread makes me so happy! Ah the good old days!
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

I love children / young adult books from when I grew up & I collect several of these series. My favs are Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon, Cherry Ames (nurse series), Vickie Barr (stewardess series), Little House on the Prairie, Lois Lenski books, Dr Seuss books, I could go on forever...

Lucy Maude Montgomery...I still re-read her books. I've been reading "Are You My Mother" by P.D. Eastman to my nephew recently, he has to hear it twice before bed.

I know it was like a month ago that Amanda posted about "Flowers in the Attic" but I am just remembering 8th grade when everyone was reading them, so that puts me at 13. My mom knew I was reading them but didn't read it herself until I went to college and she was going through the books in my old room. I remember talking to her about it back then and her take on these books was just general disbelief that those kids stayed in that attic for so long. She said something like my brother and I would have broken out of there the first night. And the continued "love" story with her brother book after book was just plain icky. You can take the child out of the attic but you can't take the attic out of the child. Give me a break.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I remember reading Flowers in the Attic at a young age, too.

The Bunnicula series was definitely a favorite of mine, but the greatest book I read as a child was Where the Red Fern Grows.

+ Reply to Thread