+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

I had Trixie Belden paper dolls. Do they even have paper dolls now?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Beauty and the Beast because that was the first book I remember having to write a report on.

Ohhh, there are so many good books I'd forgot about! Bread & Jam for Frances - I can see the cover in my mind!

I loved Ann of Green Gables because I had a little of that freckle/red hair teasing when I was a kid, so I could relate to her trying to dye it another color.

I LOVED the Ramona books. I still remember when she was drawing a picture of a dragon and she just put too many decorations on it and realized she should have stopped earlier.

Did anyone read Harriet the Spy? That was a great one and they made a pretty good movie out of it too.

My 3-year old's favorite books: right now (I just asked her, she's making a project next to me) it's Corduoroy's Best Halloween Ever. But she goes back to the I Spy books, this non-fiction horse book we have, Little Toot, Going on a Bear Hunt, oh there's too many to list. She loves some books so much she sleeps with them. Anything with Thomas the Tank Engine. Ah, to be three.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    I Loved Roald Dahl books

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Matilda
    The Twits
    James and the Giant Peach
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Danny the Champion of the World

good stuff...

FORT Regular
    My favorite book was called "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs." Now that I'm expecting my first baby I can't wait to break it out again!

My favourites when I was really little were, If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, Cordoroy (sp?)...you know that one with the stuffed bear, and Where the wild things are.
    A little later on my favourite books were Charlie and the Chocolate factory, On the Banks of Plum Creek, and The Giver.
    This is fun!!! Makes me feel little again!
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Oh my gosh, where to start on this topic.
    I read to my kids every night, and have gone through hundreds of books. We go to the library once a week, and when we find ones we really like, we buy them so we can read them over and over.

For chapter books, my son and I love reading

E.B. White :
    Charlotte’s Web, Stuart Little, The Trumpet and the Swan

Rohald Dahl:
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, James and the Giant Peach (Which was my favorite book growing up) and The BFG

Hugh Lofting:
    The Story of Dr Doolittle, The Voyages of Dr. Doolittle

Poetry
    Where the Sidewalk Ends, and Falling Up - Shel Silverstien
    PolkaBats and Octopus Slacks - Calef Brown

For my younger daughter and when my son was younger.
    Guess how much I love you – Sam McBratney
    Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch - Eileen Spinelli
    The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher – Molly Bang (There is no words in this book, but the illustrations are marvelous, and the kids love making up the story to the pictures)
    Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go To Sleep – Joyce Dumbar

My Son and I just finished the entire Captain Underpants Collection (7 books) by Dav Pikley. It is anything but sweet or highbrow. But if you want to see your child laugh till they cry, these stories about a fat bald elementary school principle running around in his underpants thinking he’s a super hero are great.

I can’t wait until my kids are old enough to read the Narnia series by C.S Lewis
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Did anyone read Harriet the Spy? That was a great one and they made a pretty good movie out of it too.
    I remember Harriet the Spy ... and The Bobsie Twins... and Nancy Drew.

One of my all-time favorites is shel silverstein's "The Giving Tree". It's one of those books that still brings a tear to my eye.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Those of you who have children should check your library for the Church Cat book series by Graham Oakley. They're mostly out of print, but libraries might have them. They are hilarious -- set in England, a cat named Sampson being dragged into adventures by church mice Arthur and Humphrey. The best part is the illlustrations -- every page is full of these incredibly detailed drawings with mice doing hilarious things (there are tons of mice, and every single one is up to something different). I loved them as a child and still get a kick out of them; I've got an illustration as my desktop picture. They are so droll; like a good Disney movie, there's a level there for adults as well as kids. Check out:
    http://www.geocities.com/gkcxc/oakley/
    for more info (and an online version of one book) Well worth it. I wish my parents had bought these books when they were still in print.
    Anyway, I also LOVED the Chronicles of Narnia -- still reread them, even though I'm supposedly all grown up -- and even now, although I'm 27 and have no kids, I'm a big Harry Potter fan.
    As a kid I read all the Nancy Drews, Encyclopedia Browns, Trixie Beldens, Judy Blumes, Beverly Clearys, Hardy Boys, etc. that were out there. Loved Roald Dahl books.
    I could go on and on. I was a big reader.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just re-read this thread because my daughter & I are going to a playgroup at the library today. There are so many good suggestions. Woo hoo!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread