+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Re: Favorite Children's Book?

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3534447;
    -Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (sort of Tolkien lite for kids, Disney did one film back in the early 80's based on one of the books - The Black Cauldron. I think this is when Tim Burton was still at Disney).
    I LOVED this series as a kid. However, I never cared for the Disney-fied version of The Black Cauldron. I thought it was just too "cute" for the story, especially Gurgi.

ITA...if I remember correctly, in the movie, Gurgi was a big focus and much different than in the books. Usually I can separate books and movies and enjoy each on their own merits but the movie was too much of a hot mess

Hmmm...I think I'm due to reread these soon!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Does anyone remember the book 'Where the Wild Things Are'? It was one of my favorites as a kid and I just found out that they are making it into a movie!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3535774;
    Does anyone remember the book 'Where the Wild Things Are'? It was one of my favorites as a kid and I just found out that they are making it into a movie!
    Yep, it's on my list on the previous page. LOVED this book! Can't wait to see how the movie turns out
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Robert Heinlein's The Red Planet and the rest of his young adult science fiction series. I luv'ed Willis.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

My granddaughter has a favorite book called, "What do you do with a Grumpy Kangaroo?" It's a book about feelings. She also has a collection of Dr. Suess and Berenstain Bears books that I bought for her father when he was little and about the only things of his that he didn't destroy. His favorite book was "Green Eggs and Ham". When she's here we always have to read Grumpy Kangaroo and Green Eggs and Ham, her favorite and daddy's favorite. One time I was telling her about my favorite book as a child. It was called "Jim Jump" and was just a small book about a horse who likes to jump. My son heard me talking about this and he went on ebay and found the book and bought it for me. So now I have an almost perfect copy of my favorite childhood book. It was published in 1954. Now we have 3 books that we have to read every time Alexis is here.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Mine was The Contented Pussycat and Little Black Sambo...does that date me? My favorite of my little sister's was Richard Scarry's books. Very entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3558364;
    My granddaughter has a favorite book called, "What do you do with a Grumpy Kangaroo?" It's a book about feelings. She also has a collection of Dr. Suess and Berenstain Bears books that I bought for her father when he was little and about the only things of his that he didn't destroy. His favorite book was "Green Eggs and Ham". When she's here we always have to read Grumpy Kangaroo and Green Eggs and Ham, her favorite and daddy's favorite. One time I was telling her about my favorite book as a child. It was called "Jim Jump" and was just a small book about a horse who likes to jump. My son heard me talking about this and he went on ebay and found the book and bought it for me. So now I have an almost perfect copy of my favorite childhood book. It was published in 1954. Now we have 3 books that we have to read every time Alexis is here.
    How sweet of your son to get you that book. Sounds like you sure raised him right.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3558965;
    Mine was The Contented Pussycat and Little Black Sambo...does that date me? My favorite of my little sister's was Richard Scarry's books. Very entertaining!
    I remember Little Black Sambo -- my friend across the street had a copy. I guess that does date us a bit. Little Black Sambo would never fly now -- would be considered racist to the max.

My mom gave me one of those Tonette home permanents once (that reference dates me also!) and when I saw the too-frizzy end result, I declared that I looked just like Little Black Sambo!

My favorite book growing up was a Whitman Classics version of Little Women, which I read and reread a gazillion times. I did not realize until much later that what I had read was an abridged version.

I am attempting to attach a picture of the cover, in case anybody remembers these books. I also had their (also abridged) versions of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Tom Sawyer, Heidi, and many more.

To bring things up closer to the present time, my daughter also loved Where the Wild Things Are (she was a little wild thing herself), Goodnight, Moon, and this teeny little book called The Little Fur Family, that was covered in light brown fake fur. I sure hope I saved it! My daughter is now almost 23.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TeacherLady; 07-11-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3558965;
    OMG,

I remember Little Black Sambo - both the book and the record. My mom had gotten it for my oder sister. I just loved it. I even took the record to school for Show and Tell. It's a shame you can no longer get that book.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread