+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Re: Favorite Children's Book?

My favorite books growing up were Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. She had such a magical way of solving problems that the parents got their point across and still gave the children a little rope.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

The two books that I remember most from childhood are:
    "When Marnie was There" by Joan G Robinson
    and
    "The Weirdstone of Brisingamen" by Alan Garner.
    Both awesome, memorable children's books.

My fave book to read to my kids is Busy, Busy Mouse. I can almost repeat the whole thing on here!
    My fave author growing up was Judy Blume, of course!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

FORT Newbie

I read so much when I was a kid
    Picture books
    The Runaway Bunny
    The Weekly Reader Books like Flutterby
    Madeline
    There was also a book that I loved when I was little that said there was a cat all curled up in a hat and she's purring but I can't remember the title
    The Girl who loved Wild Horses by Tommy DePaola
    Chapter Books
    Babysitter's Club/Little sister
    Little House Series
    Number the Stars and The Giver by Lois Lowry
    All the American Girl Books
    The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Books
    The Girl of the Limberlost
    The "Rose" Rocky Ridge Books
    Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
    I also loved to read anything about Helen Kellar

My favorite children's book will always be Madeleine by Bemelmans. To this day, I can still recite the first verse.
    It's probably got a lot to do with my love of books my whole life. Thank you, Mr. Bemelmans
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My daughter is very young so we are reading lots of picture books. Her favorite at the moment is Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt. It is a great book about a squirrel who is afraid to leave his nut tree due to all of the tarantulas, green martians, killer bees, sharks, etc. that could be out there waiting for him. It is silly and lots of fun! There are a few other books about this squirrel that I am planning to pick up for her soon!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3527967;
    My daughter is very young so we are reading lots of picture books. Her favorite at the moment is Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt. It is a great book about a squirrel who is afraid to leave his nut tree due to all of the tarantulas, green martians, killer bees, sharks, etc. that could be out there waiting for him. It is silly and lots of fun! There are a few other books about this squirrel that I am planning to pick up for her soon!
    OMG, I love that book. It's so fun to read with my 6-year-old.

Also fun to read aloud is any Robert Munsch story. The older one even comes to listen when I'm reading these stories to her little sister. Best ones for reading to kids (because there's lots of parts where you can yell "NOOOOO!" and "ARRRGGGH!" ) are Something Good and We Share Everything! (the latter one is particularly good for kids going into kindergarten). I also always enjoy reading his dedications - every story is inspired by a real-life child.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3531636;
    Also fun to read aloud is any Robert Munsch story. The older one even comes to listen when I'm reading these stories to her little sister. Best ones for reading to kids (because there's lots of parts where you can yell "NOOOOO!" and "ARRRGGGH!" ) are Something Good and We Share Everything! (the latter one is particularly good for kids going into kindergarten). I also always enjoy reading his dedications - every story is inspired by a real-life child.
    I'm going to add those to my list to check out for my DD. She LOVES books where she can participate!!

Another one that she loves that has been a favorite of all of my kids, and was also a favorite of mine as a child: Harry and the Terrible Whatzit by Dick Gackenbach about a kid who is afraid of the monster that lives in the basement. His mom doesn't understand because she doesn't believe it is down there!

You can't miss with Munsch. He is a Canadian author, so I hope you can find his work in the U.S., ClosetRT. Another awesome series is the Stella books, by Marie-Louise Gay. Those are also great for reading aloud, and they're very clever and well-written, with lovely ethereal illustrations.

I liked the Harry book as well. Funny, I never heard of it until my youngest brought it home from kindergarten this year. I loved how he faced down the Whatzit.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I was a total book worm growing up.

My all-time favorites (ones I'll still go back and read):
    -The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
    -Little Women and Little Men by Louisa May Alcott (actually like Little Men better)
    -Where the Wild Things Are by Maurince Sendak (well, maybe I don't reread this one!)
    -The Little House on the Prairie set by Laura Ingalls Wilder
    -Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (sort of Tolkien lite for kids, Disney did one film back in the early 80's based on one of the books - The Black Cauldron. I think this is when Tim Burton was still at Disney).
    - Heidi by Johanna Spyri

These books are my equivalent of comfort food. Very relaxing and satisfying.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread