+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

FORT Fanatic

Re: Favorite Children's Book?

For all of us discussing reading for children and reading to our children this has always been a favorite poem of mine and applies to both boys and girls when it comes to reading to our children.

THE READING MOTHER

Strickland Gillilan

I HAD A MOTHER who read to me
    Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
    Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
    "Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath

I had a Mother who read me lays
    Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
    Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
    Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
    Of Celert the hound of the hills of Wales,
    True to his trust till his tragic death,
    Faithfulness blent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me the things
    That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
    Stories that stir with an upward touch,
    Oh, that each mother of boys were such.

You may have tangible wealth untold;
    Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
    Richer than I you can never be --
    I had a Mother who read to me.

Anyone read Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer by JT Petty? My daughter and I are 5 chapters in and she likes it; but I'm wondering if it's too much for her right now. It's really wordy which is fine since I'm doing most of the reading but the death of the fairies is bothering her. I plan to read ahead so I can see if Clemency does, in fact, set things right and bring the fairies back to life.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

We had a book when we were little that we would read over and over and over again.It got so warn out the cover fell off and the pages soon followed one by one. It was called The Magin Far Away Tree and I loved it. The Chronicales of Narnia were also favorites, as were Amelia Bedelia. Later on I admitt I read almost every Baby Sitter's Club book that came of the line (and there were a few).

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2441825;
    I read the entire Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was a kid, I wonder if anyone reads those anymore or if they are even out there?
    I found the entire boxed set at a used book store. I can't wait to start reading them with my girls! I remember loving those books when I was a kid.

A book I remember liking a lot when I was a kid (a little older though) was The Chrysallids - I can't remember the name of the author off-hand. Pretty interesting futuristic story with a good message in it about acceptance of things that are different (or at least that's the way I remember it!).

I believe they are making a Wild Things movie. I love "A Light in The Attic" and "Where the Sidewalk Ends". Anything Dr. Seuss. I used to have the Little House series but couldn't get into them. "Tales of a 4th grade nothing", "Superfudge". Loved those. And The Wind in the Willows series. (Frog and Toad)
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

FORT Newbie

We just had our Mother-Daughter Bookclub meeting for The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman and everybody loved it. The girls are between 11-13 and we can't wait to see the movie when it comes out later this year.

Oh how could I forget my love affair with Anne of Green Gables....I loved these books so much my father (who is an antique dealer) would search out special editions and first runs. I still have not visited Prince Edward Island, which I will do some day soon...

I loved Anne of Green Gables and the "Little House" series (books and tv) too.

My absolute favorite book as a "tween" was Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman. It was first published in 1947 and was also one of my mom's favorites when she was a kid. I tracked down a hardback copy a few years ago and I still read it about once a year. According to the book jacket, it is "The heartwarming story of the Boston girl who married a rugged Canadian Mountie". I love this book, but I'd suggest that y'all pre-read it before reading it out loud or letting your kids read it. I've seen paperback copies in recent years too.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2441866;
    You may have tangible wealth untold;
    Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
    Richer than I you can never be --
    I had a Mother who read to me.
    This is very moving to me. I actually put it in my mother's eulogy a few years ago. Never would have heard of it without the internet; can't remember how I stumbled across it, probably a quotes website.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2539103;
    My absolute favorite book as a "tween" was Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman. It was first published in 1947 and was also one of my mom's favorites when she was a kid. I tracked down a hardback copy a few years ago and I still read it about once a year. According to the book jacket, it is "The heartwarming story of the Boston girl who married a rugged Canadian Mountie".
    Thanks for the recommendation. I had never heard of that one, and now I have ordered it from the library. I don't think there's anything wrong with reading tweener fiction as an adult. I had never heard of Bridge to Terabithia until the movie came out, at which point I got that from the library too and read it.

My favorite "children's" book was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2558314;
    I don't think there's anything wrong with reading tweener fiction as an adult.
    I agree. Especially the "classics" that I was far too dim-witted to read at the age for which they were written!

I have absolutely loved getting to re-read and discover new children's books by reading aloud to my girls. It's such wonderful family time for us all. Even as they've gotten older, they won't let this tradition drop - we pick a new book to read aloud together every few weeks, a few chapters or so each evening. Takes a while to read the books, but well worth the effort and time since we can talk about them as we go. Currently, we are reading Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins. It is absolutley wonderful so far. It's the first book of the fantasy series The Underland Chronicles, so if we like it, we've got four more in line, which should keep us occupied through the winter. Anyone else read these or know about them? It was a spur of the moment decision at the library: my oldest daughter picked the first book off the shelf based on the cover!

+ Reply to Thread