+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

FORT Fanatic

Re: Favorite Children's Book?

Exactly and sometimes in sets. They are also "board books" so they are great for rougher younger kids to look at over and over and not get torn. I know at one point one of the girls sort of ran Moo Baa lalala into one word and had it memorized! She would ask for moobaalalala and the one line of
    "no no you say that isn't right" was great because she could say no no it was really cute! I have them framed with pics of them reading them in their rooms now.

When I was a kid, I loved the Oz series... really stand up over time. I also adored my collections of tales by Hans Christian Andersen and the Brothers Grimm. For more modern stuff, I liked the Sweet Valley series, as well as the Choose Your Own Adventure books. I also read a lot of stuff not aimed at kids, especially biographies and most any sort of history.

My daughter and I just started the first in the Laura Ingalls Wilder series. I'd forgotten how much I love these!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I loved the Hollister series. I also loved Bridge To Terebithia. The book was better than the movie. In my pre-teens, I loved Lois Duncan. I always had a book under my nose growing up. I still do read quite a bit.

FORT Fan

My favorite book for really little children is Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever. It has 82 different stories ... I particularly like to one about the Hedgehog's Christmas ... and the one about the Crow and the cheese.

For older children... the E. Nesbit books. I especially loved Five Children and It.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar;2433326;
    My favorite book for really little children is Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever. It has 82 different stories ... I particularly like to one about the Hedgehog's Christmas ... and the one about the Crow and the cheese.

I bought that book for my 17 year old when he was about one year old. I am now reading it to my 4 year old. It's a classic. A lot of our 'bedtime' stories come from that book. It's a little ragged but after going through 3 rambunctious boys....well, you can tell it's a well loved book.

My daughter and I are reading The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo together. We can't put it down! Thank you remote_goddess for recommending it!

I'm trying to remember the name of a book that we read a few years ago about a Frenchman who had a magic fig. When he ate it, whatever he dreamed would come true. For days, he told himself that he was the richest man in the world until he was dreaming it every night. He got the fig out but before he could eat it, his dog, Marcel, did. The next morning he wakes up to realize that he and the dog had switched places. It's driving me crazy that I can remember the story but not the name of the book. Anyone?

ETA: Oh, maybe it's The Magic Fig. That makes sense.

Sorry to double post but I not only remembered the name of the book but also that we actually have it on the kids' bookshelf.
    It's The Sweetest Fig by Cris Van Alsburgh.

FORT Fanatic

Oh the tale of Despereaux we loved loved loved it! I especially love that the pages of the book look nibbled on and the few illistrations are great too! What a sweet story! We are reading two of her others the journey of Tulane and Tiger Rising.

It would be great to make a movie of Despereaux too!

From what I've read, a movie is in the works. Production began in February and it's to be released next year.

+ Reply to Thread