+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    I love Harry Potter so much I can’t count them as kid’s books anymore lol.

I do have a soft spot in my heart for "Where the Sidewalk Ends" I wore that book out reading it, lugging it around with me, and I can still recite some of the pomes.. sigh.. good memory

For younger kids, I LOVE Good Night Moon, never had true appreciation for it until I read it to my daughter the first time.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

The trilogy " The lagacy " and Harry potter *.* xD

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    My favourites are the Harry Potter series, the Chronicles of Narnia series, and when I was a kid my Mom read me all the Black Stallion books and I loved them.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

I picked up a book today at the Goodwill that brought back SO many memories! I bought Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey, the same guy who wrote Blueberries for Sal. Of course, my mom and my sister didn't even remember it.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

I love both of those book and have them in my chldren's library (from many years ago).

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    A few years ago, my daughters and I started a tradition where we pick out a book that we are all interested in, and we read it aloud together. Usually, we read several nights per week, a chapter or two at a time (depending on the length of the chapters!) We have read so many good books together, and even though they are getting older, it is still something they look forward to as much as I do. They each get to practice reading aloud, and we get good quality time together.

We just finished The Tale of Despereaux Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo: Newbery Medal - 2004. It is an amazing book and I highly recommend it to anyone, adults and children alike.

This weekend we started Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. I read it as a kid and remember loving it, so hopefully they will also.

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2267086;
    We just finished The Tale of Despereaux Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo: Newbery Medal - 2004. It is an amazing book and I highly recommend it to anyone, adults and children alike.
    We may give this one a try. My 5 year old daughter and I just finished Charlotte's Web. We read a chapter every night and she loves reading "big kid books." I do most of the reading but she follows along. It is a great way to spend some quality time together.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    lildago - same author also wrote Because of Winn Dixie, which is another terrific read. Despereaux isn't as "small" (meaning short) of a book as Winn Dixie, but a 5 yr old will probably love the author's style - she addresses the reader (My dear reader...) and asks questions, etc. There may be some vocabulary she won't know right away, but what better way is there to learn? My two are 8 and 12, and both loved it, especially my 8 yr old.

I think it's great that you do this with your daughter. As mine get older, I realize what an important thing it has been, for both their acedemic advances and for the time we get to spend together doing something we all love.

There are so many excellent children's books listed here! I'm a big fan of The Giving Tree, myself. I can barely get through the book without breaking into a sob.

Another book I loved as a child, and I can't recall the name at the moment, was about a village who made the largest jam sandwich ever to capture a swarm of bees. It's going to drive me crazy trying to remember the title now.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Maybe we'll tackle Because of Winn Dixie first. She's seen the movie. I'll let her choose. Thanks, remote goddess!

tots, I think that's The Giant Jam Sandwich.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread