+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Quote Originally Posted by doxie View Post
    Does anyone remember Flat Stanley? I loved that book as a child and now my nephew's second grade class is participating in the "Flat Stanley Project".
    I loved that book too! I probably read it dozens of times as a kid.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I really liked this book, cant recall its title...but it had all these neat pop ups and touchy/feely material...and it had to do with bugs???

I also love the books that featured a sandwhich, and when you flip through the book, you find that there's lots of bugs inside of it and such...lol

As toddlers, my boys loved The Napping House, Time for Bed and 4 Pups and a Worm.

In elementary school I read all of the Nancy Drews, Trixie Belden, Bobbsey Twins, and Henry Huggins books I could find. Any story with a horse in it: Black Beauty, Blaze, the Story of a Horse, and Exterminator were read over and over. I also loved The Wolves of Willoughby Chase and Big Red.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 09-11-2006 at 09:57 AM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

giz
    I've got to say, I love "Mr. Got to Go" by Lois Simmie. Also love the second got to go book. They are about a cat who comes to live in a hotel in downtown Vancouver. It's a true story, and when you go to the hotel they've got the lobby decorated with drawings children have done of the cat (Got to Go), and of the hotel. The book is very funny, and the illustrations are a hoot too.

A friend lives in Vancoocoo now, so I can stay for free, but we used to stay in the Sylvia all the time.

My 5 year old got On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman for Christmas. I LOVE this book. It celebrates a child's birth and is great for promoting self worth.

It begins, "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered, 'Life will never be the same.'

Because there had never been anyone like you...ever in the world."

Oh, and the illustrations are awesome, very bright and colorful. My daughter loves it too and smiles from start to finish each time we read it.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

lildago That sounds really sweet. I am going to be on the lookout for that one now
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2190893;
    My 5 year old got On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman for Christmas. I LOVE this book. It celebrates a child's birth and is great for promoting self worth.

It begins, "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered, 'Life will never be the same.'

Because there had never been anyone like you...ever in the world."

Oh, and the illustrations are awesome, very bright and colorful. My daughter loves it too and smiles from start to finish each time we read it.
    My sister gave this to Maddie for Christmas this year - I *bawled* my eyes out. Of course what my sister wrote in the front made it even more tear-worthy!! I read the book aloud to my husband and we both cried. I can't wait until Madeline can understand it

The illustrations are awesome, aren't they? I love hugging polar bears from the cover.

No question.

The Harry Potter books.

ALL of 'em.

Guess that means I'm in my second childhood, or I'm just a child at heart.

Oh, well.

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I liked some of Dr. Seuss and the Harry Potter collection.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2190893;
    That sounds so wonderful! My daughter is only 2, but I am going to have to look for this one!

I read all of the Harry Potter books after the first movie came out and have kept up on the newer ones - I am definitely a fan
    Also in the older-kid age group, I really liked Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

I have always loved The Lorax by Dr. Suess. IMO, it is one of the most overlooked Dr. Suess books and considering its "environmental awareness" topic I think it was ahead of its time
    I also like Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown. I just like the calm feeling I get when I read this book - it makes a great bedtime story.

+ Reply to Thread