+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Please don't forget:
    Ferdinand the Bull - Munro Leaf
    Make Way for Ducklings - Robert McCloskey (also Blueberries for Sal)

I just bought these today for my 1 year old!!!

MRD
    A wrinkle in time
    Little Black Sambo (I know, not PC, but I was a alittle kid in the 60's and I loved how he made the tigers run until they turned into butter)
    The Night Before Christmas
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rosie - Little Black Sambo still makes me laugh. I love the part about his "little purple shoes with crimson soles and crimson linings".

Victrola - Ferdinand the Bull is one of my other favorite childhood books. My copy of Ferdinand had an illustration of him sleeping underneath a cork tree and the illustration showed corks hanging off of the branches (like apples or oranges would).... I think I was in college before I found out that corks don't really grow on trees... Of course, I also thought that "Don Quixote" was a donkey until I actually read the book.

I could go on and on about this topic. I have almost all of my books from when I was a child and I frequently look through them and read them. The books are stored in my "bookhouse" - a wonderful bookcase that is shaped like a house that Daddy built for me when I was about three years old.

I've read most of the books mentioned on this thread but my ultimate favorite is "Mrs. Mike" - it is the story of a young girl from New England who marries a Canadian Mountie and heads off into the wilderness with him. I read it for the first time when I was about 10 and I now have read it so many times that I know it by heart.

Happy Reading!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

FORT Newbie
    I love all of the Berenstein Bears books - I read them all as a child. I also loved the book A Fly Went By. Oh, and Dr. Seuss books- such classics!

MRD
    The LIttle Engine that could
    Diddie, Dumps and Tot (this book actually has a 1910 copyright and belonged to my great-grandmother). The book is subtitled Plantation Child Life and its about 3 girls on a plantation during the Civil War. I loved that book. It's very fragile and I have it now still.

Also loved Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon and Cherry Ames series. Oh and the Happy Holisters about a family with a LOT of kids taht solved mysteries.

My kids loved the Mercer Mayer books.
    "I was so mad" & "Just go to bed" - were read aloud and often!
    Harold and the Purple Crayon - also among their favorites.
    Harold the Big Red Dog books - for new readers.
    Pat the Bunny - for wee little tykes.
    Last edited by Ana Bannana; 03-02-2006 at 10:56 AM.

MRD
    My daughter LOVED Harry McClary, The Berenstein Bears (I secretly harbor much hate for them now as I read them so much I could have pulled my hair out when she picked those out for bedtime reading. I will forever be scarred by "The Bad Dream" or "Space Grizzlies" as she called it). And Hop on Pop and Fox in Sox. My husband used to say those books made his tongue numb.

And "Catch the Baby" (my personal fav) and "Pigs in the House" my husbands personal Fav.

My baby is almost 15 and he and I can both still recite most of Catch the Baby and Pigs in the House and of course, Goodnight Moon.

She also liked Brown Bear, what do you see a lot too.

FORT Newbie
    Santa Mouse...hands down....I absolutely loved that book when I was little. My kids love the Berenstein Bears The Spooky Old Tree....There's a phrase in there that says "3 little bears, one with a light, one with a stick and one with the SHIVERS..." and my daughter at three had it memorized and would say "one with the SHIBBBERRRRSSSSS"....it was soooooo cute.

I like good old fashion Green Eggs And Ham by Dr Seuss
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

FORT Newbie
    Are there any fans of Terri Woods the author of Dutch I and Dutch II Angels Revenge...

+ Reply to Thread