+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

FORT Fogey
    My favorite childrens' books when I was very were Ann Likes Red by Dorothy Z. Seymour and Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish.

A couple of years ago I read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and I loved it.

My kids got several new books for Christmas. One is Naughty Little Monkeys by Jim Aylesworth. It's very cute and the rhyming makes it fun to read! My daughter loves it and keeps asking for it to be read again and again!

"Naughty little monkeys
    Know alot of tricks
    Mom thinks they're angelic
    All naughty twenty-six."

Each of the twenty-six represents a letter of the alphabet and gets into a load of trouble!
    Last edited by lildago; 01-21-2006 at 11:07 AM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Premium Member
    I always liked Goodnight Moon, and a cute little one called Miami Mice. Miami Mice was a cute takeoff on Miami Vice, but they were little mice...
    "Call us once
    Call us twice
    Call us both
    Miami Mice."
    I don't have the books anymore so don't know the authors names.

I also love the Dr. Seuss book The Places You'll Go. I gave a copy to both of my sons when they graduated from high school.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 01-21-2006 at 11:25 AM.

When I was really young, I loved tractor books (I live in Iowa! They're local, I believe, and very cute...) and of course Dr. Seuss and Good Night, Moon.

As I got older, my tastes refined ( )and I learned to love A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle. Still one of my faves!

We just got If Kisses Were Colors by Janet Lawler. This is the sweetest book and I just adore it. It starts, "If kisses were colors, you'd see every one of the bands of a rainbow that shines in the sun." Each page is a different, "If kisses were..." from a mother to her baby. It's illustrated by Alison Jay with vintage-looking images in soft color! I LOVE THIS BOOK!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I just stumbled across this thread - oh so cool!

For starters, these are all must-reads -

What Do People Do All Day - Richard Scarry
    Harry the Dirty Dog - Gene Zion
    Be Nice to Spiders - Margaret Graham
    Harriet the Spy - Louise Fitzhugh
    Encyclopedia Brown series
    The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster
    Island of the Blue Dolphins - Scott O'Dell
    Mrs. Pigglewiggle series
    From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler - EL Konigsburg

OH I loooove Harry the Dirty Dog! It's such a sweet story. I first read it when I was in kindergarten, and now I have a copy for my little girl. I love the artwork in it, as well.

I stumbled across a book I had forgotten about that I loved as a child, when I was shopping for my little girl some new books. It's by Emmy Payne, but the illustrations are by H.A. Rey (of Curious George fame.) It's called "Katy No Pocket" and it's about a kangaroo who can't carry her baby kangaroo because she doesn't have a pocket, so she goes into town, and a nice carpenter gives her an apron with enough pockets to carry all of the baby animals that she knows. (sweeeeeeeeet ) When I opened that up in the bookstore, the memories just flooded back. (so yes, I bought it!)

Another favorite that is illustrated by H.A Rey (and written by Margaret Rey) is "Pretzel" about a very very long dachshund. He likes this girl dachschund named Gretel, but she says "I don't care for long dogs." My little one is crazy about this story now, and we say "I don't care for long dogs" all the time around here. Of course that's not true, and she's trying her best to make me get her a very very looooong dog.

One of my most treasured books from my childhood is "A Child's Garden of Verses" by Robert Louis Stevenson. I would memorize all sorts of poems from it. (my favorite, "The Swing") I'm surprised mine is as in good of condition as it is, considering how many times I've read that thing.

And, a question for anyone.......I once read a book about a boy who had a pet shark (at least I think it was a shark?) that stayed in his aquarium, but it could also fly around in the air and he would feed it hamburger, or meatballs or something. I absolutely have NO idea where to even start looking for it, I've googled the heck out of flying sharks, sharks and hamburger, etc. If anyone has a clue, please tell me!

**I did recently find the title of a book I read long ago, about two kids who hid out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The bathe in the fountain at night, get coins out of the fountain, etc. The title is "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" and the author is E.L. Konigsburg. A great little mystery book, I read it when I was around 8.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

I don't know if this would be considered a childrens book, it is aimed at kids around 6th grade. It is called Between Friends. The main character is a girl who moves in next door to a family with a daughter with Downs Syndrome. It is about their friendship. Great book, I would recommend it to all 11 year old girls.

Suncat - I love Harry The Dirty Dog Too. As you can see from my Avatar, we have a very long dog. His name is Henry Longfellow. We love the Pretzel book too (and I also have a very battered copy of Child's Garden of Verses - my favorite is "Where Go The Boats?"). Another great "long dog" book for kids is by Cynthia Zarin. It's called "Albert, The Dog Who Loved To Ride in Taxis" - and it's really illustrated well. Albert (the Dachshund) appears on every page. Sometimes he's in the back of a cab, sometimes he is peeking out of a window or behind a tree or from a backpack. He's a very adventurous long dog! I thought that your daughter might enjoy this book.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

When I was a girl, I loved A Little Princess and [I]Secret Garden[I] as well as anything by Judy Blume. I always dreamed of having a daughter to share them with. As fate would have it, I am the mom to a son! He loves the Baseball Card series by Dan Guterman - Jackie and Me, Babe and Me, Shoeless Joe and Me, etc. At least he's getting some history in there without realizing it!
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

+ Reply to Thread