+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

giz
    Thanks, Shrinking V.
    I hadn't read it, so was remembering a brief skimming of the book jacket and catalogue write-up. In England we'd call it a gypsy caravan, and caravan (in my mind and John's) could translate to the North American trailer, thus losing the gypsy aspect in the translation. That ending is great. Dahl's a bit funny that way though, he seems to have such empathy for children, but was a bit useless as a dad apparently.

Aw, you guys are so great! Thanks so much for the answer, it won't drive me crazy any more (and now I have to buy it on Amazon).

giz
    You're welcome. It's nice to know this stuff is useful outside of winning the brown pies in Trivial Pursuit.

My daughter loves Kevin Henkes' books. Our collection started with "Lilly's Plastic Purple Purse" and we soon got all of the "mouse" stories. "Julius, Baby of the World" was perfect for her when her little brother was born last year. Last night in a book store, I found five of the character finger puppets : Lilly, Julius, Owen (and his fuzzy yellow blanket), Sheila Rae the Brave, and Chrysanthemum. Lily (my Lily) has had the best time acting out the stories with the puppets! I think that's the best $10 I've spent in a while!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Hey guys! I was thinking about my favorite childhood book the another day and I realized I couldn't remember what really happened to the ending or the title or the author. It was pretty popular back then in late 80's, I think. I totally forgot the name of the book but it is about a small town with a strange weather that could produce foods! The sun was a sunny, yellow egg, the french fries was raining, the clouds were creams. The pancakes are floating in the sky, and some has covered the house with butter and maple syrupy. Sometimes, some gigiantic foods like hamburgers, vegetables, etc just come out of the sky and crash into something like the house, or whatever. It's a total food fantasy. I vaguely remember at the ending of the story that it got so bad that the town has to move somewhere and at the end, they are living in the loaf of breads that builds like the house or they are using the breads as a boat in the ocean to escape the raining foods. I don't really remember - much. Does anyone knows this story? I would love to read it again to bring back some of my childhood memories.
    Last edited by Lonelyguy82; 10-29-2005 at 01:48 AM.
    Stop the world! I want to get off!

Young and thriving, I feel infinite. Need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonelyguy82
    Hey guys! I was thinking about my favorite childhood book the another day and I realized I couldn't remember what really happened to the ending or the title or the author. It was pretty popular back then in late 80's, I think. I totally forgot the name of the book but it is about a small town with a strange weather that could produce foods! The sun was a sunny, yellow egg, the french fries was raining, the clouds were creams. The pancakes are floating in the sky, and some has covered the house with butter and maple syrupy. Sometimes, some gigiantic foods like hamburgers, vegetables, etc just come out of the sky and crash into something like the house, or whatever. It's a total food fantasy. I vaguely remember at the ending of the story that it got so bad that the town has to move somewhere and at the end, they are living in the loaf of breads that builds like the house or they are using the breads as a boat in the ocean to escape the raining foods. I don't really remember - much. Does anyone knows this story? I would love to read it again to bring back some of my childhood memories.
    Here's your book:

My daughter loved this book, too. I've bought it for several kids over the years, but I can't remember the end of the story either sorry. It's a bizarre, fun book that kids love.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Wow. Thanks. SO, it is "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs." Very funny title.
    Stop the world! I want to get off!

Young and thriving, I feel infinite. Need I say more?

My favorite childhood book is Dear Mr. Henshaw, by Beverly Cleary: Anyone ever read it?
    Everyone Loves A Spicy Latina !!!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    We just got the "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" DVD. We've had the book for a while and love it. I think we've watched it and followed along in the book at least a dozen times tonight! There are also several other stories on the DVD. "Rosie's Walk" is really cute, too! We've watched/read that one just as much.
    lildago, my kids LOVE this DVD. It is great. There are also a few others in the Scholastic series that my kids enjoy such as "The Crazy Mixed Up States", "Goodnight Gorilla" and "Where the Wild Things Are". They really stay true to the books and are beautifully done. We don't own very many DVD's or Videos but this series was a great purchase.

My son is really into the "Sweet Pickles" series of books right now. My SIL has been giving them to him as gifts and we read them every day. He loves to look at the picture of the town inside the back cover where it shows the homes of each animal and all the pertinent shops and buildings. He is eagerly awaiting his next installment.

+ Reply to Thread