+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    And she absolutely loves the Give a mouse a cookie books, moose a muffin, pig a pancake... all those! They are sooo sweet and have fantastic illustrations and are very fun to read. She just gets soooo cracked up at the story line!
    My daughter is also a big fan of Give a Mouse a Cookie. She also loves all lift the flap books. Her current favorite is one of the "Little Critter" books by Mercer Mayer. I forget the exact title but it is about Little Critter getting a new baby sister. She just calls it "Baby Book". We bought it for her when our second daughter was born 6 months ago and she has me read it to her every night before she goes to bed.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

My fav books were the Judy Blume books, Little Women, The Wayside High books and of course my altime fav book and movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I have read that book so many times and have watched the movie over and over on DVD.

One of my favorites as a child was The Ice Cream Cone Coot by...Donald Sobel, I think. Anyway, I dug it up at one of those "old books" stores, and it turns out my kids love it, too. Very imaginative pictures and fun (albeit very dated/paternalistic) rhymes.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I almost forgot the Bunnicula series by James Howe. Just the perfect amount of spooky for young readers without giving them nightmares.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

When I was in elementary school I loved reading the childrens versions of the classics -Robinson Crusoe, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mutiny on the Bounty, etc..
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

All right, I dug through some of my old books, and here are some of my favorites:

Where the Wild Things Are: A book which needs no further explanation!

The Baby Blue Cat & the Big Batch of Cookies: It must have done something to me--I still have a thing for cats today.

Pat the Bunny and Pat the Cat: (cat thing, again)

Curious George: Honestly. Who doesn't love Curious George?

The Collected Works of James Stevenson: I absolutely loved these! In particular, Could be Worse, We Can't Sleep, The Worst Person in the World, and Monty

Berenstein Bears Series: These have such good moral lessons and have a way of making scary situations (e.g., going to the dentist, fear of the dark, etc.) not so scary afterall.

The Big Hungry Bear by Don & Audrey Wood: beautiful artwork

The Jolly Postman and The Jolly Christmas Postman: These were great fun--lots of letters with cool stuff inside (puzzles, books-in-books, games, etc.). It all correlated to a fairy-tale theme; so you had things like The Big Bad Wolf writing to Red Riding Hood and so forth.

Any Jan Brett book: gorgeous artwork

Any Michael Hague book: once again, great artwork and he lives in Colorado Springs, so I have a lot of his autographed works

Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web by E. B. White: simply classics

Entire Shel Silverstein collection: I still remember tons of his little eccentric "sonnets."

Leaves from a Child's Garden of Verses by Robert L. Stevenson and illustrated by Donna Green: love the poems and artwork

For older kids (third grade and above):

My Life As... series by Bill Myers: these never failed to crack me up

Chronicles of Narnia (complete set) by C.S. Lewis: Oh, I can't say enough about these books!! They started my love affair with fantasy, and they are simply great reads.

Encyclopedia Brown series: Each chapter was a detective case that you would try to solve, and the solution was in the back of the book.

Choose Your Own Adventures series: I got these from my older brother. You could always have a different ending!

Smiling Hill Farm by Miriam Mason: It begins in pioneer days and progresses to the present, telling the story of a family and their aforementioned estate. Really intruiged me back in the 3rd grade!

Little House on the Prairie series: This was actually part of my school curriculum

Redwall by Brian Jacques: I never got around to the rest of the series, but the first book was wonderful...I literally couldn't put it down for days.

The Story of a Bad Boy by Thomas Aldrich: This one was pretty interesting. It was part of my school curriculum, and tells the story of a boy growing into manhood just before the Civil War. It's a lot more exciting than it sounds, and really quite a timeless story.

A Child's History of the World by Virgil Hillyer: This was my history textbook in 4th grade, but it's so well-written and entertaining that I'll still refer to it today. It's more in the style of a novel than your average textbook, and I've found it's more accurate than some that I've had in highschool!

And, of course, any Newberry/Caldecott prize winner books won't be bad.

*looks at list I've just written* Wow--I need to be less long-winded!!

My favorite children's author is Astrid Lindgren (you all know Pippi Longstocking), probably my favorite book by her is 'The Brother's Lionheart' closely followed by 'Ronja Robber's Daughter'. I love children's literature in general, but she is the one author I feel is above anyone else out there.

Edited to add: if you are into illustrations, I especially like Elsa Beskow and Mauri Kunnas for children. Might be hard to find in United States, but they are worth looking through if you find one in library or maybe used books store.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 10-23-2003 at 02:44 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

HOw could I forget Encyclopedia Brown? I just loved that little detective. Had a bit of a crush on him
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Fogey
    Bunnicula, of course! I loved those...also, The Celery Stallks at Midnight, & Howliday Inn....

Absolutely everything above my post.

And one of my favorite sets of picture books were the Frances books by the Hobans, I.e. Bread and Jam for Frances...Bedtime for Frances...about a little girl badger who rhymes and sings songs to deal with life.

Another favorite classic book that's out of print...but highly beloved and sought after: Andrew Henry's Meadow by Doris Burn. A kid runs away from home to move to a meadow to build little elaborate houses for other kids in the neighborhood, all tailored to each child's interest.

All books by Diana Wynne Jones. Favorite: "The Ogre Downstairs".

Harold and the Purple Crayon was very imaginative.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread