+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Gabriel and Phat32

Have you tried Abebooks.com for the books you're looking for? Anytime I can't find some book that I really want, I always find it on this site. Sometimes they're selling for more than I want to pay, but I least I know I can find them if I want them
    Okay... I haven't read this thread in FOREVER.... but I just clicked on your link, Critical, and I found this children's book that I've been looking for years. It is now ordered and on it's way to me!

A million s for this!!!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Anyone read "Book, Book" by Debra Bruss? My daughter loves it and we have to check it out every other time we go to the library! I need to just buy it since she gets upset when it's not there!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I just went and looked at it at bn.com, lildago. That looks cute.

My little nephew loves the rythmical books like "I Know An Old Woman That Swallowed a Pie" and the new one I bought him called "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More." Very cute.. and Jordan loves to participate in them as well so I'm always leaving off the last words so he can guess or fill in what comes next. He really enjoys them.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Broadway, "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More" looks really cute! We have to look for that one! Another favorite of ours is "Polar Bear, Polar Bear" by Eric Carle. And sorry, I guess you figured out it is actually "Book! Book! Book!". You'd think I'd get it right as much as I've read it!!!

Awww, this thread is totally bringing back some good childhood memories...*sniffle*

Anyways, when I was little, I absolutely loved Dr. Suess and Robert Munsch's books (it's truly hard to pick a favorite of his). Then as I got older, I loved Louis Sachar's books (especially the Wayside School books and "Sixth Grade Secrets", or Pig City as it was simply known as at home. I had a copy of it but now I can't seem to find it :'().

Some other books I love are "Sleeping Dragons All Around" (it's such a cool book and I love how all the dragons have such distinct personalities), "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" (I wanna live there!! ), "King Bidgood's in the Bathtub" and "Big Pumpkin".

I also read the Babysitter's Club for a while and I also remember the Ramona and Fudge books too.

*sigh* Sweet childhood memories...I still gotta look for "Sixth Grade Secrets".
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

Goodnight Moon- Read this book 5,000 times to my babies when they were small- they are now 15 and 16, and they still admit that they have fond memories of that book. The Illustration was beautiful, and we made new stories each night that we read it. I want to cry now just thinking of my little boys listening with wide eyes.
    Go Tigers!

We just got the "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" DVD. We've had the book for a while and love it. I think we've watched it and followed along in the book at least a dozen times tonight! There are also several other stories on the DVD. "Rosie's Walk" is really cute, too! We've watched/read that one just as much.

Can anyone help me come up with the name and author of this children's book? I'm pretty vague on the details, but it involves a kid and hit father, who live in a trailer, and something about Cox's Orange Pippns and they were poaching pheasants. A google search was extremely unhelpful, and it's driving me crazy.

Thanks for any help!

giz
    John, I wonder if you mean Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World. Danny and his father live in a trailer, and the Cox's Pippins and pheasants mean it's an English book (as I guess you know!), so that's why I thought if might be Dahl.

I've just looked on Amazon and am pretty sure this is your book. The dad was a poacher. I haven't read it, but as a former bookseller it's my sworn responsibility to know a little about everything ever published (or at least that's what the customers seemed to think). Never ask a librarian this sort of question, they are next to useless in this regard (last night our local librarian told me he'd never heard of Hannah Arendt!), trust your bookstore clerk.
    Last edited by giz; 10-22-2005 at 06:44 PM.

The poaching pheasants is right, however, they lived in a gypsy wagon propped up with bricks, which I suppose would resemble a trailer. DannyThe Champion of the World was one of my older son's favorite books. We read it plenty of times together, and he read it hundred of times by himself. Would you believe I just found it on a bookshelf in our rec room. Good work, giz!

ETA: The best part of the book is the ending message:

To Children Who Have Read This Book

When you grow up
    and have children of your own,
    do please remember something important.

A STODGY parent is no fun at all!

What a child wants
    --and DESERVES--
    is a parent who is

SPARKY!
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 10-22-2005 at 07:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread