+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Oh I just found this thread! Love all the books mentioned here are my favorites

Enid Blyton - see some Enid Blyton fans here I loved the Adventure series I think it was called, about 4 kids (2 boys and 2 girls) who would get into these adventures.
    Drina ballet books - has anyone read these? I only had the first 3
    Nancy Drew
    Babysitters Club
    all the Roald Dahl books

and I didn't remember Encyclopedia Brown until I read this thread hehe. I loved all kinds of mysteries as well

I was a huuuge Babysitter's Club fan. I collected almost all the books (including the main series, the Mystery ones, the Super Specials, and the Little Sister spin off series).

I also loved Sweet Valley High - I had a lot of those. I had some Sweet Valley Univeristy and Sweet Valley Twins (middle school years) as well.

I read some of The Boxcar Children books, American Girl, Judy Blume, and R.L. Stine.

I also liked Harriet the Spy, Charlotte's Web, The Blue Willow, The Secret Garden, and A Little Princess (my fav!) I have the movie too!
    Last edited by GlitterxGold; 07-30-2005 at 08:07 AM. Reason: forgot some

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by scarlett530
    Thanks, RBm...the Wishing Chair series does sound familiar. ETA: I was just doing some research on the 'net and found my books! They are by Edith Nesbit, who wrote among other things, "Five Children And It" and "The Phoenix and the Carpet," about a Psammaed (Sand Fairy) and a Phoenix. At least it's not bugging me now.
    The BBC did a really good series of video adaptations of Nesbit's books. I don't think they did the Phoenix and the Carpet, but the did Five Children and It (the Psammead book), one about the Bastables (can't remember the title), and new version of The Railway Children (with Jenny Agutter who played one of the kids in the original playing the mum).

I notice some people like Munsch's I"ll Love you Forever. I like Munsch a lot, but when a friend gave this to me after my daughter was born I thought it was freaky. That mum needs to let go. I'm such a mean old cynic.
    Last edited by giz; 08-01-2005 at 03:53 PM.

giz
    Books I liked when I was a kid were; Wrinkle in Time, Freaky Friday, Harriet the Spy, Winnie the Pooh (esp. Milne's poetry), Winken Blinken and Nod, and the Olga da Polga books by Michael Bond. I worked in bookshops in Canada and the U.K. so was well set up with stock to read to my kids. Books my kids have loved include

Preschool- Anything at all by Shirley Hughes. She's da boss!
    Captain Abdul's Pirate School.
    Tony Ross' Dr. Xargle series
    Winnie the Pooh
    Egg Thoughts by Russell Hoban
    Max and Ruby
    Church Mice (mentioned upthread, great to read as there's so much visual detail you never get bored)
    Mister got to go by Lois Simmie, about a cat (Mister) who adopts a hotel

Primary -
    Eloise! Ooh I just love Eloise. Must rush off and read it now, I love Eloise so much! Eloise in Paris is very useful for learning French, like Zut alors!
    Michael Bond's Olga da Polga (about a very conceited and funny guinea pig)
    Dick King Smith (wonderful animal stories, he never writes down to kids, one of my favourite children's authors)
    Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (shout out to MysticChicken, Mrs. P is brilliant isn't she? And very useful for driving home a point about abberant child behaviour when the big stick approach is not working )
    Pippi Longstocking (actually I like the Noisy Village books by Lindgren a bit better, Pippi is so naughty!)
    Dr. Brainstrawm (I think I got the title a little wrong, but these are great, written in the 1920's I think)
    Geraldine McCaughrean's series of myths (Bronze Cauldron, Golden Bowl)

Intermediate - Narnia of course,
    my daughter loves Harry Potter
    Susan Cooper - her original series (better than the more recent books) The Dark is Rising, is brilliant and a must for fantasy fans. I wasn't huge on fantasy (not as much as my short person), but I love it!
    Box of Delights by John Masefield
    Swallows and Amazons (more boyish I think, sailing and adventuring)(I know that's a gender bias, but having sold if for years, it does seem to appeal more to boys).
    Last edited by giz; 08-01-2005 at 04:19 PM.

My favorite bedtime book to read to my son is I Love You Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt. Too cute. She has a others in this series that are really sweet too.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by giz

I notice some people like Munsch's I"ll Love you Forever. I like Munsch a lot, but when a friend gave this to me after my daughter was born I thought it was freaky. That mum needs to let go. I'm such a mean old cynic.

I absolutey hate that book! When my kids were little everyone I knew said how much they loved that book and how it made them cry, etc., etc. So being the good mom that I am, I went out and bought it. It is the creepiest book I have ever read! And everytime when I'm somewhere where that stupid book it brought up, I hear sighs, and ohhhs, and I'm thinking That one went straight into the trash....

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyone
    I absolutey hate that book! When my kids were little everyone I knew said how much they loved that book and how it made them cry, etc., etc. So being the good mom that I am, I went out and bought it. It is the creepiest book I have ever read! And everytime when I'm somewhere where that stupid book it brought up, I hear sighs, and ohhhs, and I'm thinking That one went straight into the trash....
    Oh thank god. Maybe we can go in a corner and snigger. I felt so alone.... so, so bitchy! But now there's two us, and who knows, maybe a whole army of people who Hate That Book! thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Oh thank god. Maybe we can go in a corner and snigger. I felt so alone.... so, so bitchy! But now there's two us, and who knows, maybe a whole army of people who Hate That Book! thank you.

We don't need to go into a corner, I have no problem shouting it from the roof tops and I never pass up an opportunity (when it presents itself) to make my feelings from that creepy book known to anyone who will listen. I have often wondered if other people feel the same way, but are afraid to say it? Like I said- so many people had talked about it and how good it was that I wondered if many of them just didn't want to come across as *not getting it* that they went along with it? It can be hard to disagree with everyone- especially when your babies are concerned. (who wants to feel like thier children are missing out on such a wonderful book )

giz
    My daughter is in grade 5, and the teacher is wondering how we feel about the kids doing a novel about the rescue of Danish Jews during the war. I'm not sure how much they begin to talk about the Holocaust in the novel. I'm a little concerned that it's a bit early. I can barely deal with the information, how would kids of this age cope? Has anyone had their kids read books on this theme? Anne Frank's Diary, that sort of thing. Don't know when it would be easier to cope with (!), but not sure about 10? (I've talked to our daughter a little about the Nuremburg laws in Germany, and how it was hard for Jews to emmigrate because the government was tying up their money, but she has no idea whatsoever about the Final Solution).

I just found and read this entire thread. I can't believe that "A Bear Called Paddington" and the rest of that series by Michael Bond hasn't been mentioned. Paddington was a favorite of mine as a child. Gotta love a marmalade eating bear who dresses well!

I also love many of the books that have already been listed (Santa Mouse, Amelia Bedelia, Anne of Green Gables. Eloise, Madeline, and The Borrowers are among my long list of favorites).

Happy reading & remembering!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread