+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Speaking of children's books, does anyone remember watching and/or liking the ABC Weekend Specials? This show brought many children's stories to life through animation and live-action.

Of course, the book is always better than the movie, but I was introduced to and learned about many new books I hadn't heard about from the ABC WS's. (And it was a nice respite from Thundercats and The Transformers, although, c'mon, I liked those, too.)
    I was already in my 20s or so when they started doing those weekend specials and afterschool specials, but I would still watch them. I am currently going online to used book sellers and trying to rebuild the collection of kids books that I had that I can recall. My Mom says I had tons of books to read that she would buy. Right now Im looking for the Young American Book Club 1960s. I enjoy reading the books that gave me so much pleasure back then, even though they are kids books. (And yes I do read newer books)
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    Right now Im looking for the Young American Book Club 1960s. I enjoy reading the books that gave me so much pleasure back then, even though they are kids books. (And yes I do read newer books)
    I'm looking for a rare, little-known, little-read series called "USSA." It was my first brush with "alternate history"--in this case, "What if the Soviet Union had declared and won a war against the United States?" (Can you get more Cold War than that? I don't think so, my friends, I don't think so.)

Stupid, mindless fun that I encountered in the children's section of the library when I was much, much younger. The last book I read in the series ended on a cliffhanger, and I've been waiting over two decades to read the conclusion.

I suppose I've had an interest in subject matter like this, even then.

Oh, thought of another children's series I like: the Indian in the Cupboard books by Lynne Reid Banks.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Fort Member
    Loved anything by Enid Blyton
    My mother would buy me one a week I had a book case full of her books. I longed for my own Magic Faraway tree or Wishing Chair. Pure childhood escapism
    I also liked Nancy Drew and The hardy boys and adored Pippy Longstockings
    But before I could actually read I used to love How the Grinch Stole Christmas. My mother would read it to me all the time and by the time I could read I knew if off by heart. I can still recite most of it without looking at the book.The movie was a great disappointment. haha

Great thread!

Apart from the already mentioned Narnia chronicles, I loved Roald Dahl's children's books when I was a kid. Especially Matilda, a story of an extremely intelligent little girl with unimaginably daft parents - Mr and Mrs Wormwood. I got it for my ninth birthday and remember finding it both hilariously funny and original. I also loved The Witches and, obviously, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Oh, and I was also a big fan of Nancy Drew, but weren't we all? I was re-acquainted with her when I wrote my thesis in Gender Studies on whether or not Nancy can be perceived as a positive feminist role model, and while I was horrified by the blatant racism of the early works (I believe the early books were re-written and modified in the 60's, but I managed to get hold of an original copy from the 1930's, and man, I was disgusted), I got really nostalgic re-reading some of my favourite Nancy Drew mystery stories. For some inexpicable reason, she was renamed in the Swedish translation, so I'll always think of her as Kitty Drew, as opposed to Nancy.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'm looking for a rare, little-known, little-read series called "USSA." It was my first brush with "alternate history"--in this case, "What if the Soviet Union had declared and won a war against the United States?" (Can you get more Cold War than that? I don't think so, my friends, I don't think so.)

Stupid, mindless fun that I encountered in the children's section of the library when I was much, much younger. The last book I read in the series ended on a cliffhanger, and I've been waiting over two decades to read the conclusion.

I suppose I've had an interest in subject matter like this, even then.

Oh, thought of another children's series I like: the Indian in the Cupboard books by Lynne Reid Banks.
    I think I would like both of those myself, I think I'll start looking.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Gabriel and Phat32

Have you tried Abebooks.com for the books you're looking for? Anytime I can't find some book that I really want, I always find it on this site. Sometimes they're selling for more than I want to pay, but I least I know I can find them if I want them
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Gabriel and Phat32

Have you tried Abebooks.com for the books you're looking for? Anytime I can't find some book that I really want, I always find it on this site. Sometimes they're selling for more than I want to pay, but I least I know I can find them if I want them
    Ive had good luck with www.biblio.com and www.alibris.com also.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Ive had good luck with www.biblio.com and www.alibris.com also.
    Cool beans gabriel! Thanks for the link [rubs hands together] - I'm sure I'll be spending mucho time (and money!) on those sites!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Cool beans gabriel! Thanks for the link [rubs hands together] - I'm sure I'll be spending mucho time (and money!) on those sites!
    I think my credit card and yours have bumped into each other sometime I am sure.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

I think my credit card and yours have bumped into each other sometime I am sure.
    I'd say that is a distinct possibility!

+ Reply to Thread