+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

I LOVED the Ramona Series! As well as anything by Judy Blume. BUT..my all time fave books are Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. And A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. To this day....I could read them at least once a year. For a young girl..both books are amazing and inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx
    Chronicles of Narnia, hands down. I loved the fantasy aspect of the series, didn't really understand the religious overtones at the time though.

I agree with the Ramona series. I remember an excerpt when Ramona complimented her teacher on her "elephant legs". To this day,I recoil in horror every time I notice a wrinkle around my stocking-ed ankles.

Narnia, Narnia , Narnia I am now reading the series to my daughter and loving every minute. I can't wait for the movie due out in December!

I too loved Little princess, Secret Garden, Harriet the Spy!

For younger ones I love The velveteen rabbit, Giving Tree, Miss Suzy,
    100 dresses and Polar Express. My daughter loved the Give a Mouse a cookie books too.

OH and how can I forget Anne of Green Gables! Those were my all time fav next to Narnia!

I loved "The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster. Has anyone read that?
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

I remember (a) liking it and (b) the cover features a big, big dog (wearing an old-fashioned pocket watch around its neck?) staring down at a young man. The original release also had an unusual cover color--Purple? Dark green?

For the life of me, though, I can't remember what it was about.

I liked Stone Soup, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Where the Wild Things Are, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, What Do People Do All Day? and the "Fudge" series. I had many, many favorites, but I can't remember many more at the moment.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Did anyone read how to eat fried worms?? Funny I remember

I LOVED how to eat fired worms.

Another favorite was Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs, I have to find another copy of that one day.

The Serendipity Books (leo the lop, Morgan Morning, Little Mouse on the Prairie) were my favorite, I shouldn't have given them away! But I was guilted into it when a poor friend of mine had a child. i want the collection for when/if I have kids!

Another one that I always remember is, I think called the Magic Clown, about a juggler that is being phased out by modern entertainment and gives one last performance for a statue of Mary holding her baby, and then he dies. Sad, but it was an easy reader book!

phat32, it was about a boy who happens to find a tollbooth "toy" in his room. He sets it up and gets in his toy car and drives through it. He is magically transported to another "land" where he meets all sorts of interesting creatures and goes to interesting places. I LOVED this book and it was so educational too.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Quote Originally Posted by BlondieGirl
    I loved "The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster. Has anyone read that?
    That's the book that's been tickling my mind everytime lately I've see this thread and thought of entering. What a delightful story, much too long since I last enjoyed it.

Whenever I see "Favorite" anything, particularly when it comes to books, I feel constrained to comment because there is so much that is terrific in vastly different ways, but The Phantom Tollbooth was truly fantastic.

Speaking of children's books, does anyone remember watching and/or liking the ABC Weekend Specials? This show brought many children's stories to life through animation and live-action.

Of course, the book is always better than the movie, but I was introduced to and learned about many new books I hadn't heard about from the ABC WS's. (And it was a nice respite from Thundercats and The Transformers, although, c'mon, I liked those, too.)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    I LOVED how to eat fired worms.

Another one that I always remember is, I think called the Magic Clown, about a juggler that is being phased out by modern entertainment and gives one last performance for a statue of Mary holding her baby, and then he dies. Sad, but it was an easy reader book!

I don't know if this is the book you are thinking of, but it sound like The Clown of God by Tom DePaulo. It's a beautiful story -- it ends with the clown dying, but the baby Jesus is holding the golden ball from the juggler.

+ Reply to Thread