+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

I have got to go with the Fudge & Wayside School books.

Mistress Masham's Repose - about an orphaned girl living with a mean guardian who discovers an island with Lilliputians. She thinks she can treat them like toys, but learns to respect them as people. I read it every year at camp, stupidly lent it out to my niece and never got it back, and recently ordered a new copy from Amazon.

I love children's books Some of my favorite authors include Beverly Cleary (my all time favorite- read her autobiographies) Judy Blume, Jerry Spinelli, Louis Sacher, Betsy Byers, Dav Pilkey, Cynithia Rylant, Ellen Raskin ( I love her book nothing ever happens on my street- the pictures are excellent) Barbara Parks (but I'll take Ramona any day over Junie B) William Steig, Paula Danziger,Robert McCloskey
    I also read books again and again The Giggler Treatment by Roddy Doyle is very funny, I actually laughed out loud while reading it with students I like the Henry Reed books by Keith Robertson A good book for teenage readers is One Fat Summer by Lipsyte

Autism Awareness Ribbon greycoatonawitc's Avatar
    my daughter loves the Amelia Bedila books. that character cracks me up.
    April is Autism awareness month!! I have 6 year old faternal twins with Autism. they are wonderful little guys. It's not misbehaving....it's a disablity.

Dont wanna be fatesealed! meeka6's Avatar
    Ok,
    When I was in 7th grade I was chosen to go to a Young Writers Conference where a story was read BY the author to all of the kids. I'll never forget it as long as I live. And its a staple gift at all baby showers. It's called I'll Love you Forever by Robert Munsch. Classic. Tearjerker for one and all!!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by meeka6
    Ok,
    When I was in 7th grade I was chosen to go to a Young Writers Conference where a story was read BY the author to all of the kids. I'll never forget it as long as I live. And its a staple gift at all baby showers. It's called I'll Love you Forever by Robert Munsch. Classic. Tearjerker for one and all!!
    Oh, that was cool, I bet! I love that book!!

FORT Newbie
    What about the Little Miss and Mr. Men books by Roger Hargreaves (Little Miss Scatterbrain, Mr. Small, etc.)? I used to read them all the time in elementary school, and now the kids in my classroom are always asking me to read them.

Kevin Henkes writes some really cute books with mice as the main characters which my students (and myself!) also enjoy.

FORT Newbie

does anyone know anything about another children's book that is probably from the 30s

I'm looking for a children's book from the 30s or 40s that's about a little girl who runs away and joins the circus. The title might be "Beyond the Scenes" or "Behind the Scenes." My mom recalls it from her youth and I'd like to find it for her for Christmas! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aptly_Named
    The book is called “The Secret World of Og”, written by Pierre Berton. I loved that book, too!

This is a wonderful thread! Some of my favourite books have been mentioned ... I love everything by Roald Dahl, E.B. White, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Beverly Cleary, Shel Silverstein (I love The Giving Tree too, Jewelsy )... I love the Frog and Toad books (and recently bought some to read to my nephew). I read every Nancy Drew mystery and loved Grimm's Fairytales and Hans Christian Andersen. I absolutely love the Chronicles of Narnia and recently read the whole series again (I think I enjoyed them even more as an adult!). I loved the Amelia Bedelia books, the Borrowers, and the Matthew Looney books by Jerome Beatty, Jr.

Another cute book is “Socks for Supper” by Jack Kent. I read “The Chocolate Touch” by Patrick Skene Catling to my younger brothers and sisters, which they loved. And Sesame Street’s “The Monster at the End of This Book” is a classic in our house - my nephew has me read it over and over and over and over again…. :rolleyes

I think my all-time favourite children’s book has to be the Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams. I love the beautiful story as much now as I did when I was a child.

Where The Wild Things Are

Curious George

I'll Love You Forever (the best book ever made!)

Any Arthur Book

Any Berenstain Bear Book

Any of the Graeme Base books, but The Eleventh Hour, Sign of the Seahorse and Animalia, in particular - absolutely amazing detail and creativity.
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

+ Reply to Thread