+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Book?

FORT Fogey
    Oh wow...The Girl With Silver Eyes....I LOVED that one!

What an excellent idea for a thread! I had a smile on my face a mile wide while reading everyone's favs.

I, too, adored anything by Judy Blume! Loved "Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret" and was excited to pass the book down to my daughter when she turned 10 or 11.

More favs:

The Monster at the End of This Book
    The Book About Me
    Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball
    My Darling, My Hamburger
    Amelia Bedilia
    The Giving Tree
    The Little House on the Prairie series
    Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys
    Flowers in the Attic
    Forever
    (my first insight to sex talk ... we all sat around in a circle at lunchtime in 7th grade to read chapters out loud ~ and giggle)

I can remember waiting impatiently for the Bookmobile to pull up to the curb once a week. Once I checked out a book called "Laverne and Shirley" and it had their pics on the cover, but when I got home, it was filled with sex and four-letter words! LOL! I didn't tell my mom ... I was only about 10 ... I just read it cover-to-cover about five times before I had to give it up the following week. {{{shhhh, don't tell, k?}}}}

Oh, so, so, so many more, I just can't think.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

My favorites were the Narnia Chronicles, especially The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I'm really glad they're making it as a movie and I hope Nicole Kidman plays the White Witch, or High Chatelaine of Cair Paravel as she preferred to be called. I know I would have pulled an Edmund and ran off with her, and all that Turkish Delight. I also loved these books, and I can't remember the exact titles but they were English and there were a series of them, The Island of Adventure etc, does anyone know them?

Do any of you guys remember Goosebump books? I know they're not really classic children's books, but I used to love them when I was younger. Yeah, they were a little corny, but there were some very good ones like...The Haunted Mask or One Day in Horrorland. Anyone?

FORT Fogey
    "The Monster at the End of This Book" was hands-down, bar none, my absolute favorite book as a young child. I still have at least 2 copies of it packed away.

Mdrio, my son loves Goosebumps. My favorite cheesy-teen-horror kind of books were always the ones by Christopher Pike. I read everything he wrote that I could get my hands on!

I was reading through this thread and thinking about Christopher Pike. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who read those books! They used to give me the worst nightmares when I was younger, but it never stopped me from reading them.

FORT Fogey
    I still read kids books a LOT, and my favorites to read aloud to my kids at the daycare are Robert Munsch and Dr. Seuss.... those are hilarious books, that I can read in all sorts of funny voices. I remember loving those books as a kid too. Also Roal Dahl, and Beverly Cleary.

Actually I have a Robert Munsch theme week this summer for my After School Centre, and I am looking forward to it!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    I still read kids books a LOT, and my favorites to read aloud to my kids at the daycare are Robert Munsch and Dr. Seuss.... those are hilarious books, that I can read in all sorts of funny voices. I remember loving those books as a kid too. Also Roal Dahl, and Beverly Cleary.

Actually I have a Robert Munsch theme week this summer for my After School Centre, and I am looking forward to it!
    Robert Munsch is great! They are so funny. I developed a Dr. Suess author study for one of my classes that I fully intend to use in my future classroom. The man was a genius.

These might be more for pre-teen but nonetheless, are really great.

My husband's favorite is the Chip Hilton series by Claire Bee. I think they were written in the 50's. We have most of them in original form and still look for them whenever we go to used book stores. They have begun to release them in a new trade size format so we have been buying them for our son.

As for me, my favorite book was The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. It was older even when I was young (written in '65) but has always been special to me. I lost my copy years ago and was so happy to recently find a copy online.

I also enjoyed all the S.E. Hinton books, Judy Blume, Nancy Drew, etc.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCase
    This thread has brought back so many memories! Names I haven't thought about in years - Trixie Belden, Cherry Ames, Harriet, Ramona.

My favorite series as a kid was the Betsy & Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace. It was about two little girls and their families in turn-of-the-century Minnesota. What I liked as a kid was that as the girls got older, the reading level of the books advanced as well. Hardly anyone I've mentioned them to has heard of them, so when they were mentioned in "You've Got Mail" (by Meg Ryan as a children's bookstore owner) I almost fell out of my chair.

The other book I loved was "The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin. It was the first "mystery" book I ever read, a puzzle mystery at that, and I was hooked. I still go back and re-read it every few years and enjoy it just as much.
    I loved loved Betsy and Tacy!! I use to wish I was their friends. I loved the Westing Game.
    I still re-read some of my kid books.
    I loved and still do...Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Dana Girls, Kay Tracey Mysteries. Pippi Longstocking, Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume
    Ruth Chew's books about magic...
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

+ Reply to Thread